www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old September 26th, 2019, 13:04   #1
Noseve

Default Simulate kerb weight using jack?

Hi - when re-fitting rear shock-absorbers, I understand that torque of the lower mounting bolt should be set with the wheels on the ground. Having said that, it doesn't look as though my torque wrench+ socket will fit with the springs in place.

Alternatively can I, before removing the wheel, record the measurement from the centre of the wheel to a reference point directly above it, then after the shock is in place, jack up the hub to create that same distance from hub centre to my reference point and tighten to correct torque?

Does it matter whether the spring is in place when jacking up?

Any thoughts, or better still, definitive answer would be really appreciated. Thanks.
Noseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 08:49   #2
soot1
Veteran Member

If it isn't possible to get in there with a torque wrench and a socket, can you still reach the bolt with a simple box-end wrench or some other "unsophisticated" tool? My thinking is that this is just a simple bolt that holds a shock absorber in place, and the torque applied to the bolt really doesn't matter all that much, as long as it is tight "enough".

I do not see anything wrong with the idea you proposed here. By jacking up the hub, you are simulating the force that compresses the absorber when the wheel is on the ground, and it should not matter whether the absorber is in place when you jack up the car, as long as the bolt is loosened during the jacking, and tightened only after you reach the correct distance you determined earlier.
soot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 02:38   #3
Noseve

Thanks, Soot1. I have reached the conclusion that it is not so much the weight, as the amount of compression that matters, so the same distance should achieve that. In which case, it follows, it should make no difference that I'm going to be doing it with the spring removed. I appreciate what you say about the tightness, but for suspension parts I'd rather use the torque wrench. I have only just bought it, with this job as justification for doing so, after all!
Noseve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:11   #4
JETaah

Fuel Economy: 53 max, 42 min, average 46

If there is not enough room to swing a torque wrench when it is on it's wheels you can first tighten the bolt enough to hold the bushing in position. It does not take that much. Then, lift it and finish torquing the it to the correct reading.
JETaah is offline   Reply With Quote