ALH Jetta fans wont turn off at all

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
**UPDATE** so what ended up being the problem is that one of the wires going into the plug for the FCM actually came of the pin within the connector so once that was fixed now the fans work as they should

I have mk4 jetta alh tdi and my issue is that the radiator fans wont turn off even after the car has shut off with the key out of the ignition.

i have replaced the fuse box on top of the battery along with the cable the goes to the alternator and the one that goes to the stater

the car has also had 3 different fan control modules in it and still having the same problem

i have tried to unplug everything temperature sensor under the hood one at a time to see if the fans stop and i got nothing from that either

any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What brand and where did you get the modules from. The only good ones worth buying are the ridiculous priced genuine OEM ones, not the ebay or amazon or box store crap. All the reviews here and on these sites all say the same issue you do, that there garbage. There is only 1 thing that starts and stops the fans, that module other than the things you just unplugged, so there isn't much else, unless I'm missing something, your due for a 4th, sigh

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
What brand and where did you get the modules from. The only good ones worth buying are the ridiculous priced genuine OEM ones, not the ebay or amazon or box store crap. All the reviews here and on these sites all say the same issue you do, that there garbage. There is only 1 thing that starts and stops the fans, that module other than the things you just unplugged, so there isn't much else, unless I'm missing something, your due for a 4th, sigh

they where all oem ones i got from other cars

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Have you checked your fuses in the dash fuse block? Also read on another forum that a guy needed a new harness due to coolant intrusion.

On the gasser VWs I think it's 16, not sure on the TDIs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
Have you checked your fuses in the dash fuse block? Also read on another forum that a guy needed a new harness due to coolant intrusion.

On the gasser VWs I think it's 16, not sure on the TDIs

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

i tried changing out the #16 fuse with another one but still nothing changed

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
check all these fuses..

To ensure the AC circuits and the Fan Control Module has power check:
Fuse 5 on the cabin fuse panel.
Fuse 16 on the cabin fuse panel. When this fuse is blown the radiator fans
will often run unexpectedly.
Fuse 25 on the cabin fuse panel.

the temp sensor on the back of the block does not control these, on the lower side of the ride, drivers side, there is a temperature sensor that talks to the FCM, check this to see if shorted or something maybe

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
check all these fuses..

To ensure the AC circuits and the Fan Control Module has power check:
Fuse 5 on the cabin fuse panel.
Fuse 16 on the cabin fuse panel. When this fuse is blown the radiator fans
will often run unexpectedly.
Fuse 25 on the cabin fuse panel.

the temp sensor on the back of the block does not control these, on the lower side of the ride, drivers side, there is a temperature sensor that talks to the FCM, check this to see if shorted or something maybe

i already tired unpluging the temp sensor on the bottom side of the rad on the drivers side and fans did not turn off after i unplugged it

but i will double check all those fuses

thanks for the info

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
About three months ago, I installed an eBay FCM on a 2001 New Beetle to address the same issue........ fans running constantly. Problem was solved with the new FCM.

Based on what you've already done, the only other thing I can think of would be a faulty AC button there on the dash. But, it should also cause the AC compressor to engage. And, if the in dash fan is turned off, those should shut-down, assuming it is a faulty AC button... (which I doubt)

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
About three months ago, I installed an eBay FCM on a 2001 New Beetle to address the same issue........ fans running constantly. Problem was solved with the new FCM.

Based on what you've already done, the only other thing I can think of would be a faulty AC button there on the dash. But, it should also cause the AC compressor to engage. And, if the in dash fan is turned off, those should shut-down, assuming it is a faulty AC button... (which I doubt)

well the ac compressor clutch doesn't engage when i turn on the ac i thought i just needed a ac compressor

do the ac compressor and fans both work on the FCM?

i recently purchased the car and the ac wasnt working when i got it

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
From Bently directions, paraphrased:
Locate the radiator coolant switch, driver's side low down on the
radiator, dislocate the plug, and using a fused jumper wire, close pins 1 and 2; both fans should run low speed. Then try closing pins 2 and 3; both fans should run on high.
If the tests fail, replace the switch. Yours sounds dead though.

No, pretty sure the A/C clutch is activated/deactivate by the thermal cutout switch (F163). -Driver's side upper radiator hose where the split
is located.

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
From Bently directions, paraphrased:
Locate the radiator coolant switch, driver's side low down on the
radiator, dislocate the plug, and using a fused jumper wire, close pins 1 and 2; both fans should run low speed. Then try closing pins 2 and 3; both fans should run on high.
If the tests fail, replace the switch. Yours sounds dead though.

No, pretty sure the A/C clutch is activated/deactivate by the thermal cutout switch (F163). -Driver's side upper radiator hose where the split
is located.
Defiantly give that a try thank you so much for the Info much appreciated

Genesis

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
i already tired unpluging the temp sensor on the bottom side of the rad on the drivers side and fans did turn off after i unplugged it
Your radiator temp switch is shorted; that's a direct signal to the FCM and, since you unplugged it and the fans shut down, assuming the rad was not hot it's bad.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Genesis and STDOUBT got this, if it's not that radiator sensor/switch it has to be the ebay part.

bigboost3

TDI
mk4 alh jetta
Your radiator temp switch is shorted; that's a direct signal to the FCM and, since you unplugged it and the fans shut down, assuming the rad was not hot it's bad.

that the thing i did unplug the temp switch on the radiator and the fans still did not shut down

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
The solution-
**UPDATE** so what ended up being the problem is that one of the wires going into the plug for the FCM actually came of the pin within the connector so once that was fixed now the fans work as they should<<<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>