2011 vs 2012 RCD510 - BT audio streaming differences.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So have a curious question that has stumped me since we bought the 2011 JSW.

But cars have the RCD-510 that look nearly identical, the 2012 has a few differences in the menu options that the 2011 lacks. Both radios can stream over BT audio with the difference being the 2012 will display the artist and track information and allows you to pause and FF/RW tracks within the playlist. The 2011 on the other hand just shows AUX and you have no control over play/pause or track FF/RW.

Only differences is the 1 model year and I am using iPhone X and better half is using Galaxy Note 10. I have tried iPhone in the 2011 and same thing, just AUX and no control over functions.

What gives here, I did not really see any changes to the RCD-510 in the info pages on year to year changes of the JSW and both head units look identical. If this is normal operation may just have to get the MDI adapter for the 2011 and call it a day, either that or find a newer RCD-510.

Thanks in advance for any input.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Both of my 2011s acted as a dumb bluetooth speaker. My first 2011 had horrible bluetooth audio quality, but I just used the MDI cable with an iPod mini (lol).

Check out this: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=335734

Edit: I think I have 2 Lightning MDI cables. The problem is that these adapters come with giant stupid ****ing boxes on them, so they won't fit with ANY iPhone case.

Last edited: