TDI CEL Alerts

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
How many of the TDI owners are experiencing the O2 sensor alert over & over again?
Is it really worth it for me to continue to pursue getting either a Audi Q5, Porsche Cayenne diesel or a VW Touareg TDI?

I've read that a lot of TDI owners spend a few days every couple weeks in the shop to correct the CEL's that keep getting thrown up on the vehicles.

I'm really hoping that the TDI owners that experience no problems or very little are of the majority and overshadow the negative reported problems.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Our 14 Treg was fixed just under 2 yrs ago. We've had our 14 A6 just over a year (fixed when we got it). Zero CELs, zero "fix" related issues for either one. I scan both of them several times a year with VCDS. There's two data points for you.

Last edited:

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
I have no O2 sensor on my '04 V8 - therefore no CELs have occurred based on this (or any other) cause. You might want to refine your question a little.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
The frequent O2 sensor failures are associated with some vehicles in the Passenger Car subcategory of the 3.0 L settlement. For owners of Q5, A6, A7, and A8 models, a new service action was recently rolled out to replace and reposition the DPF and O2 sensors. It remains to be seen if this action will work.

You posted this in the Touareg area, which is not in the PC subgroup and has a different fix. I don’t believe any of the SUV’s have had commonly recurring O2 sensor issues across many vehicles.

I have a fixed Q5 that has not thrown a single code and has been problem free, knock on wood. At some point I’ll have the service action done. Only a few have had it performed thus far.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Thank you all for your input. The O2 sensor failures I was referring to was in fact on the Q5. I was reading about this on a Audi forum and there were several owners that spoke of repeated trip to the dealer for the alerts.

The last thing anyone wants is to spend countless hours at a dealership for repeated repairs or even the dreaded drop off and only to realize that it will be a week or longer before you get your vehicle back.