www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old August 28th, 2019, 09:49   #1
30Bones
Veteran Member

Default CEL - 2013 Treg TDI

So I do not daily drive my Treg. Main use is road trips. Vehicle has just over 30K miles (changed oil/filter and fuel filter then) and not long ago I needed to refill the DEF tank (put in 5 gallons) and since then I have had a CEL light.

What scanners are out there to at least check what the CEL is? Or should I just sacrifice my pride and take it to the dealer. I have some road trips coming up and would like this resolved. Car seems to run/drive fine, but the display mpg seem bit lower than normal for warm weather driving
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 13:50   #2
Gilty_one
Veteran Member

Xtool VAG401 from Amazon or the best are actual Ross-tech VCDS cables and software.

Gilty_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 09:01   #3
30Bones
Veteran Member

Not going the Ross Tech route, I am not planning to ever get that hands on with this vehicle. It's beyond my mechanical capabilities.

I forgot I had a cheap code reader at home. Two codes, $7E9 A/T and $7E8 Engine. I cleared both and have driven it 30 miles with no CEL coming back on so I will call that a win. I need to translate the codes my reader gave me somehow. Have't gotten that far yet, my code reader would not give me anymore info past that
Old August 29th, 2019, 19:08   #4
bigb
Veteran Member

I am pretty happy with OBDeleven, can read and clear all codes, lookup references and make changes like I enabled my key fob to be able to lock the doors from outside with the engine running and to be able to open/close windows with the key fob......
Course if you are really frugal and have an Android device you can get Torque Pro for $5 and a cheap ELM27 Bluetooth adapter. It will read your generic codes and some of your live data, and you can configure your own live monitoring by manually setting up PIDs found here on the forum. I generally run Torque Pro just to keep me informed of coolant temps, egts and regen status.

Last edited by bigb; August 29th, 2019 at 19:22.
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 20:25   #5
Fourdiesel
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~53 mpg on Golf (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones View Post
Not going the Ross Tech route, I am not planning to ever get that hands on with this vehicle. It's beyond my mechanical capabilities.

I forgot I had a cheap code reader at home. Two codes, $7E9 A/T and $7E8 Engine. I cleared both and have driven it 30 miles with no CEL coming back on so I will call that a win. I need to translate the codes my reader gave me somehow. Have't gotten that far yet, my code reader would not give me anymore info past that

If you have a Harbor Freight available to you, they have a series of 3 hand helds at varying prices. These should be able to at least read the OBD codes but their ability to diagnose is limited because of the uniqueness of the computer design in the VW stuff. Don't expect too much though!
'83 Mitsubishi 4X4 PU(2.3L turbodiesel)
'85 U1700 UNIMOG ["I DO understand - its a UNIMOG thing"]
Fourdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 11:09   #6
30Bones
Veteran Member

I have this cheapie that erased them (they came back days later). I have since erased them again and so far they have stayed off. I carry it in the vehicle now.

This one has better reviews for the german side of things. I may give it a go if I feel the need. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BS7PDC2...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old October 23rd, 2019, 13:06   #7
30Bones
Veteran Member

Turns out it was one of my front O2 sensors. Got that and the DEF heating element replaced under warr/recall

I found out something I found odd. Apparently DEF has a shelf life. I put 5 gallons in mine a few months ago and maybe 1500 miles and the PH was low. Not that it matters since the tanks needed to be drained for the new element. Just found that odd since AdBlue is AdBlue. Hoping to delete all that nonsense once the warr is expired.