www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 29th, 2019, 11:56   #16
allen_p

@Mongler98: the shop is Halsey Automotive, not on the trusted list but specializing in VW of all ages and used by some members of this list.
Justin Grow, who is on the trusted list here, gave me the opinion that an 03 ear shouldn't break off unless someone forgot the replace the mount bracket bolts and torque them correctly.
I have long experience with Jerry, the mechanic, at this and two previous shops and believe that if it was his error it was an honest/simple mistake, not incompetence. I have no beef with Tom—the shop owner—per se, except in the present circumstance where his reaction to this problem has been unhelpful.
allen_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 12:17   #17
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Be nice, but be persistent. The owner is going to have an attitude, that's just normal.
You did take it back with issue, and they were down there. At the very least they should have noted the broken bracket.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2019, 19:38   #18
STDOUBT
Veteran Member

Halsey used to be run by the Old Man. Now it's his Son. His Son is a jerk.
It's not on the trusted list for a reason.
STDOUBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 13:32   #19
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

They broke because they were either way over tightened or left loose. Couple big bumps in the road and its done. Seen it many, many times.....
Old August 30th, 2019, 14:41   #20
allen_p

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
Be nice, but be persistent. The owner is going to have an attitude, that's just normal.
You did take it back with issue, and they were down there. At the very least they should have noted the broken bracket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
Halsey used to be run by the Old Man. Now it's his Son. His Son is a jerk.
It's not on the trusted list for a reason.
I spoke with Tom at Halsey Automotive Repair today and politely shared the opinions offered here and by the local expert TDI mechanic I spoke with. I said I thought his shop had made an honest mistake and I asked him to take responsibility for the consequences.

Tom said he disagreed, suggesting that the bracket/block failure were unrelated and probably caused by a factory defect. I pointed out that the engine mount had been trouble-free for 16 years (and almost 150k miles) until immediately after Halsey had reinstalled it, and that I'd contacted his shop right after I got the car back to say the motor had shifted position and was newly bearing on the skid plate. He said Jerry (the mechanic who replaced my timing belt) does not make mistakes, so Halsey has nothing to take responsibility for.

When I asked if refusing to make good on a mistake was worth the potential cost to Halsey's reputation he became rude and belligerent, threatening to sue me and make my car his own. He said he has very good lawyers, and that it'd be a mistake to publicly share my perspective.

Last edited by allen_p; August 30th, 2019 at 14:50. Reason: trying to add whitespace
Old August 30th, 2019, 16:02   #21
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You pretty much threatened him there right at the end. How would you expect him to act? You could have walked away without the last statement and done whatever you wanted. Not to mention you pretty much ruined any chance to get the VanGogh repair done there and/or any other work done there, by your favorite mechanic. I would have proposed the VanGogh repair with you buying the kit and them installing it, before you pissed him off. Everyone could have learned something and your car would have been fixed. Off to Justin Grow I guess.
Old August 30th, 2019, 18:44   #22
STDOUBT
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
You pretty much threatened him there right at the end. How would you expect him to act? You could have walked away without the last statement and done whatever you wanted. Not to mention you pretty much ruined any chance to get the VanGogh repair done there and/or any other work done there, by your favorite mechanic. I would have proposed the VanGogh repair with you buying the kit and them installing it, before you pissed him off. Everyone could have learned something and your car would have been fixed. Off to Justin Grow I guess.
I have to disagree. Even if a customer comes in irate, which allen did not do, even if he was irate and threatening to sue, Tom's response is completely unprofessional and is no way to handle a customer. Unless you want to go out of business, which I'd be surprised if he doesn't before 5 years are up. Telling someone your mechanics don't make mistakes is just asinine. Threatening to take their car is douchebaggery of the highest order. He's begging for a crappy Yelp entry. Begging. 3.5 stars as of this writing.

allen_p, my advice is to just let it go though. Call Rich at http://fixumhaus.com/ tell him the story, but leave Hasley completely out of it. Just describe your problem, set a date and he'll fix you up right. Your car will be good as new, and you can call it a lesson learned.
STDOUBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2019, 19:45   #23
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Regardless of the owners unjustified reaction, his veiled threat at a bad review wasn't needed and only served to provoke the owner more. As you see that didn't do him any good. Why stir the pot when you can just leave and do what you want without threatening him with a bad review? Even if he is justified in giving him one he doesn't need to bring it up at that time. The owner is a jerk and I try and spend my time not being involved with them whether they deserve it or not.
Old August 31st, 2019, 06:34   #24
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38mix / 47@70-75

The other way that mount becomes broken is a front end accident.

I had this issue on an 01, my first TDI.

You really need to inspect the broken area of the block and ensure it's not through to the oil chamber behind it.
Mine was and I didn't realize it until I was driving in the snow. Irrational spinning in the middle of the road was the first clue. *** I thought, why did I just spin? A couple hours later I spun again, 100 miles down the road. It was causing an oil slick on the wet road, which caused me rear end to break loose at highway speed. Scary sh** to be honest!

So definitely inspect the area to be sure you don't end up in that position this winter!

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk
'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
eddieleephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 06:59   #25
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by STDOUBT View Post
allen_p, my advice is to just let it go though. Call Rich at http://fixumhaus.com/ tell him the story, but leave Hasley completely out of it. Just describe your problem, set a date and he'll fix you up right. Your car will be good as new, and you can call it a lesson learned.
This is great advice. Even if the shop was dead wrong, I think you've burned that bridge. As someone posted above, get the car fixed properly and move on with life. Rich is your man.
Old October 1st, 2019, 19:14   #26
allen_p

Hi all -
I have the Van Gogh bracket now and I got my mount-to-block bracket out today.
A few questions for those of you with experience in this matter:

1. The top rear bolt, the one for the broken ear, is bent. This suggests to me that there was a bending torque on it when the ear broke. Has anyone seen this before? The lower rear bolt had backed out almost all the way and was hanging by a few threads.

2. The forward bolt sheared off at the block. Does anyone have experience with successful strategies for getting the end of this bolt out of its blind hole in the block? Drill access for an easy-out hole is limited, but I might be able to rig something or perhaps if I drop the motor low enough I can get at it from the wheel well. I'll try a small cold chisel first to see if I can spin it out that way.

3. There are no replacement bolts on my receipt for the timing belt work. Does one bolt sheared off and one backed out suggest that the original bolts were reused and/or torqued improperly?

Thanks for any wisdom you can share!
Old October 1st, 2019, 19:26   #27
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_p View Post
3. There are no replacement bolts on my receipt for the timing belt work. Does one bolt sheared off and one backed out suggest that the original bolts were reused and/or torqued improperly?
Yes, to re-use. They may have been torqued to spec, but they can't do that twice.
Old October 1st, 2019, 20:06   #28
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

A reverse drill bit is best for drilling bolts, they can catch and remove the bolt without an easy out. If you can get hold of it at all it might just unscrew

'02 1.8t Jetta Wagon Alh w/5spd swap, SB 21#SM DD, bew lift pump, 11mm IP, VNT17, Malone stage4 tune, Stealth pipe, BMW Cyclonic CCV filter, 2.5"cat back st. pipe,Vr6 brakes, 2" lift, Panzer, Bilstein HD, fill tube ectomy, soon to be Bosio DLC 1020's PD_fuel_delivery TDI Search Plug release tool Howto terminal release tools VW/Audi
Old October 1st, 2019, 20:54   #29
allen_p

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieleephd View Post
A reverse drill bit is best for drilling bolts
Thanks for this reminder!
Old October 2nd, 2019, 04:59   #30
eddieleephd
Veteran Member

If it's a real PITA you can disconnect the exhaust pipe, remove the wheel and the engine mount with a jack under the engine and lower it for better access.