www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old August 5th, 2019, 20:36   #1
Thepotz

Angry No start warps my mind!

06 Jetta mk5 brm- wife drove it home running fine. No weird noises. Went to start it and it cranks over just fine. This is what I have done just to save everyone time. Replaced fuel filter. Checked that the in-tank pump was working fine. Strong stream of fuel on key. No codes. Engine light is off. Replaced tandem pump and sucked out all bubbles. Replaced both crank and cam sensors. Fully charged battery and stuck a cranking charger on it while cranking just to eliminate the chance of a dead cell in the battery. I finally shot wd40 on a rag and stuck it over the intake and it fired right up. I ran it for 10 mins to ensure there were no trapped air in fuel system. It revved just fine and idled just fine and I thought I was done. Just to make sure, I turned the car off and then immediately tried to start it and no dice. It hasn't started since. Car also turns over just fine. It is not labored or anything like that. I also checked under the air box for chaffed wires. They were fine and not even rubbed. The glow plug light also comes on just like normal. I do not have vag com nor know anyone with it. I am losing my mind! Ideas?
Thepotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 20:43   #2
mextdi
Veteran Member

Did you check to make sure your timing is still right? Maybe your timing advanced or retarded and it doesn't let the engine start? There has to be someone near you in Montana with a Vagcom you can borrow. There are a couple of vendors on eBay that rent out the Vagcom. Even with that, you have to sort of know what you're looking for or you won't be able to tell. Just remove the timing belt cover to see if it is still there and if you can check your timing as well.... I would make sure and check for codes and also for the torsion value, that will tell you if your engine is timed right or not. Lastly, you can also try and fill the filter reservoir with a diesel cleaner, that's done a lot because the quality of diesel fuel can vary and can gunk up injectors. That will clear them right up!
mextdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 20:46   #3
Thepotz

I checked for broken teeth and tension and everything looks fine. Plus when I ran it for 10 mins it ran like a top! Revved just fine too! I had done this earlier but forgot to include it in my original post

Last edited by Thepotz; August 5th, 2019 at 20:48. Reason: Add info
Old August 5th, 2019, 21:04   #4
tdiman
Veteran Member

It's got be timing or a fuse block oil pressure valve or crank shaft position sensor .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 21:27   #5
Thepotz

What and where is a fuse block oil pressure valve?
Old August 5th, 2019, 21:39   #6
tdiman
Veteran Member

Default No start warps my mind!

I had the same problem one time on an 06 it cranked and cranked cranked and then would start almost sounded like a Dodge diesel trying to start so that's what makes me think you have a crank shaft position sensor going bad or went bad But I'm not a mechanic just going by past experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by tdiman; August 5th, 2019 at 23:01.
tdiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2019, 09:50   #7
Thepotz

Yea but I already replaced both crank and cam sensors
Old August 6th, 2019, 11:01   #8
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

OBD works. Start there. See if the ECU sees cranking RPM. Throwing parts at it is going to get you nowhere fast. Or cheap.

For all you know, the key position sensor signal is not right in the Steering Column Module, and it loses the "run" signal when in the "crank" position. Seen that before.
Old August 6th, 2019, 13:34   #9
Thepotz

So what should I do now?
Old August 6th, 2019, 13:34   #10
Thepotz

Btw I also replaced the ignition switch
Old August 6th, 2019, 14:52   #11
oilhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepotz View Post
So what should I do now?
The post right above that. I will say it again.

OBD (OnBoardDiagnostics) works. You need a scan tool. If you cannot, or WILL not, get one, then you will have to:

take your car to someone that does, and pay him or her for their knowledge to figure your problem out

continue to throw parts at it and see what happens

You came here asking for help. We can help, but we need you to help us help you, and OBD is the place to start. I would never, EVER, go after replacing ANY part on that car without spending a few minutes sleuthing about with my laptop.
Old August 6th, 2019, 16:48   #12
Mach1

Fuel Economy: 49.3, 48, 21.2,19.99

What he said...OBD scanner or Vagcom…

Quit throwing money at it..
Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2019, 17:34   #13
FleTDI

Fuel Economy: 58 mpg/ Imperial gal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
The post right above that. I will say it again.

OBD (OnBoardDiagnostics) works. You need a scan tool. If you cannot, or WILL not, get one, then you will have to:

take your car to someone that does, and pay him or her for their knowledge to figure your problem out

continue to throw parts at it and see what happens

You came here asking for help. We can help, but we need you to help us help you, and OBD is the place to start. I would never, EVER, go after replacing ANY part on that car without spending a few minutes sleuthing about with my laptop.
Hi Folks

Thanks for your help on all fronts....awesome!
I have a similar problem with my 05 wagon (BEW engine). It was running fine when I parked it. Two days later it cranks fine but won't fire. For a while, the glo-plug light and engine light would stay on as long as the key was on and cycle in concert with the lift pump, but now they and the lift pump shut off after 5 seconds or so. The lift pump puts out a lot of fuel (as per the specs suggested in this forum). No by-pass through the tandem pump, but only about half as much fuel (220 ml/min) coming out of the tandem pump as suggested it should be when cranking. I did replace the fuel filter.

I bought a pressure gauge to test the tandem pump but it turns out that the gauge can't be used with diesel. Ordering a new one today that can...Does fuel pressure at the tandem pump show up with the scan tool??

The local garage guy came down to the house with his expensive diagnostic tool and could not read anything on his tool....he didn't charge me anything.

I guess I am going to have to get it towed up to the other garage (only two here) as he is pretty sure he can read it with his scan tool. I assume the scan tool will pick up all the cam sensor etc issues...?
Also, I could buy a (VAGCOM?) reader but am pretty confused about how that works. Does one just buy the cable and then get software for the computer? Some seem to sell a cable and handheld unit, others just the cable....?? What is the diff between an OBD scanner and a VAGCOM? Are they brand names? I have an OBDII that works on my wife's car (toyota) but won't read the VW.

I have a Mac and it appears that the scan tools don't talk to apple products (can't say I blame them sometimes!). My old toshiba computer has Windows XP on it, so that probably is too "old" to be of any use now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Fleamer

Last edited by FleTDI; August 7th, 2019 at 17:37. Reason: forgot something
FleTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2019, 19:11   #14
Thepotz

Update: took it to vw and the said it's the ecm
Old August 9th, 2019, 04:24   #15
oilhammer

That is highly unlikely, but hey, if they'll guarantee it will fix it then let them have at it.