www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old April 26th, 2019, 11:40   #31
Low944

TDI(s): 2014 Q7 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbwoo View Post
Check if the oil filter housing has an updated part number, and compare it to your vehicle. VAG has a habit of not putting a drain back valve / flapper in it, then superseding the part number with a new part and a flap in there.
I guess this could cause an oil drain situation?
Low944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2019, 11:12   #32
Low944

Well since my post that I thought the noise was gone, it has done it a few more times. It is doing it less but still there. I will look into the oil filter housing part next.

Last edited by Low944; May 1st, 2019 at 16:08.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 04:33   #33
craigldavis

Mine does it also (I’m at like 180k miles but I’ve only owned it for about 20,000 miles).

I thought I was crazy when after my first oil change I thought the startup sound went away. Invented all kinds of theories like maybe the prior owner had the wrong oil in it (or some equivalent that wasn’t as good). But it came back after a while. 500 or so miles?

Second oil change I did was 2 weeks ago and guess what... quiet startups again. Only a few hundred miles so far but I bet it get noisy at startup again after a couple hundred more miles.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 05:44   #34
Low944

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice mine doing it until after a few hundred miles after my first oil change too. That happened to be when it was getting warmer out. But as it got colder it went away again. Then I added the additive and it went away for a few hundred miles. hmmm. I guess at this point I will just keep thinking on it and stop worrying about it. I purchased a tune from Malone and I have been holding off since I wanted to bring the Q into the dealer for the noise. But if I can't get it to do it consistently, they won't hear it. It sounds like they are going to call it normal from what people are saying. I am still in the extended warranty period until 120k or July 2024. I am at 98k now.
Old July 19th, 2019, 12:39   #35
TDIPOWERMAN
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigldavis View Post
Mine is most likely to do it on the first start of the day (or after 2 days of no driving).

If the chain tensioner is based on oil pressure, and if the tensioner mechanism has internal wear that “leaks down” the oil pressure it had built up, then I’m assuming anytime the oil warms up enough to be thinner and less viscous, then given a chance to drain out of the tensioner you’ll hear the timing chain slap the cover a couple of times until the tensioner gets new oil pressure. In my case it’s literally only about 1 second or so.

I bet if you drive it until it’s nice and warm and drop off at a dealer on a Friday night then be ther first thing Monday morning to start it the first time with the mechanic and service advisor there, you’ll all hear it.
Tried that and VW service writer as well as mechanic said they could never hear it after 3 days of trying! I heard it soon as i got it back home. Go figure ! anyway, some VW dealers will not cover it under dieselgate warranty, others will. But none admit's it's actually a problem. Like mentioned above.. the engine may need to grenade before they acknowledge any problem! I have a 2013 TDI Touareg with 170 k on the clock.
rocketchip 4 -- VNT 17 -- PP520's -- 11mm IP -- G60 flywheel SB stage 2 Endurance clutch -- 2.5" turbo back exhaust -- boost/egt gauges -- Ebay front mount intercooler -- 18" wheels -- Koni/elibach suspension -- -- rebuilt interior/exterior
TDIPOWERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2019, 13:44   #36
bizzle
Veteran Member

Do we have any evidence that this actually is a problem and that grenading engines is even something to keep ourselves up at night over?

I once chased a rattle in a Toyota V6. I spent thousands of dollars in engine rebuilding costs and the grand payoff at the end was not a silent engine but rather one that sounded the same or worse than when I started!

I sold that '89 4runner off in early 2000s when gas skyrocketed and have been driving cars with timing belts since. Now that I'm back in this rig and hearing that occasional rattle I'm not convinced I (or anyone else) need to perform open heart surgery on it.

There's a well-known gear rattle in the earlier getrag manuals. The "fix" is to leave it alone.

Gears rattle, metal on metal rattles, and I don't think I'm saying anything anyone doesn't know but it's sometimes difficult to not overanalyze a situation like this. We can minimize the wear/tear and possible damage over time with a variety of substances/lubricants but eradicating all chain rattle noises might be an impossible and unnecessary standard.

I'm not saying concerns aren't warranted, but I am curious about the magnitude of the threat.
bizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 17:50   #37
Turbospool
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57.0 mpg running average on the Jetta, and 41 mpg on the Passat

Mine ( 2013 TDI Executive ) Just started to “rattle” , something it never did before , and it is SOMETHING TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT. I’m not saying it is definitely the timing chain or tensioner ... but let’s say this is also possibly a problem in TDI’s as it has been with other VW VAG engines . Is replacing your complete TDI engine something you wanna risk.... even just replacing the chain..... 5-6 grand? VW simply needs noise related issues proven before they will acknowledge they have responsibility . You better have everything stock, use the proper 507 oil, and even their OEM oil filter , or they will /can disqualify any warranty, Dieselgate or otherwise. I have never heard of any 3 liter V6 diesels slip their chain yet......., but neither do I wish to be the gini pig . It will take an ongoing rattle to convince them you got any issue. They will need to be able to diagnose the issue beyond any shadow of doubt before they are going to tackle this project... it’s a good week or two of work for them. I’m not loosing any sleep on this , but neither will I be happy if my Touareg chunks itself.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 12:51   #38
mannytranny
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Jetta

My '16 with 40k on the clock will tick for a few revolutions on startup. Not loud, but you can hear it.
mannytranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2019, 16:31   #39
Turbospool
Veteran Member

I wonder if anyone has ever done their timing chain, or tensioner.... and fixed this problem?
Old August 20th, 2019, 22:49   #40
deezelpower
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~38 Jetta, ~23 Q7

Subscribed.

Our 2015 Q7 began the dreaded startup rattle around 15K miles, and has progressively worsened where it rattles now almost every morning, and even warm startups, after sitting for as little as 20 minutes. We brought it to the dealer's attention at the 25K service but they could not reproduce.

I've inquired twice now (at the dealer) whether or not a timing chain or tensioner issue is covered by the 10y/120k dieselgate fix, and they insist it is. I plan to get it in writing, just in case. We had the emissions recall done at 21K.

Oil's been sampled before each change (we have the paid maintenance plan), and iron is averaging 140 ppm each 10k miles (we've tried two 5K changes and iron averaged 80 ppm). Blackstone says this is 3 times as high as universal average. Aluminum is a little high as well (but not so bad).

The vehicle is our family's transporter so it sees several short trips (<5 miles) a week, though it does warm up fully each time, according to the temp gauge. Occasionally we take trips over the mountains (~200 miles roundrip).

At the 35K service we brought it up again, and they actually confirmed after hearing it start it when it sat for an hour at the service drop-off. They kept it overnight, and were not able to reproduce the next morning so they sent us on our way. Sigh.

We have no intentions at this point to sell or move on because there just isn't any vehicle out there that has the same capabilities as our beloved Audi. Maybe if Chevy puts their vaunted I-6 new diesel into a Tahoe I just *might* be tempted
deezelpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2019, 08:12   #41
AndreiMTM

TDI(s): 2014 A6 TDI

Hello everyone!

I have the same issue as OP described. 2014 Audi A6 TDI (U.S. Spec 3.0TDI) and it has the chain rattle mostly when hot; I very rarely hear it on a cold start. I too am wondering if this is covered under the extended warranty, or if the chain stretches too far if they'll cover the engine damage.

I will mention--and I know, different year/motor/setup-- but my uncle's 2006 2.7 TDI A6 in Europe has had a chain rattle on startup (cold only) for about 4 years now and the car still runs and drives without issues. This made me wonder if it is actually a risk, or hit or miss. (Car in Europe has over 210k miles)

Anyways, it seems like quite a few people are experiencing this, so I'm wondering if it does actually have the potential to ruin the engine or not.

My car is at 64k miles, all maintenance completed at 10k intervals until 40k (at dealership), and 6-7k mile oil change intervals afterward.
AndreiMTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 18:25   #42
Turbospool
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezelpower View Post
Subscribed.
Our 2015 Q7 began the dreaded startup rattle around 15K miles, and has progressively worsened where it rattles now almost every morning, and even warm startups, after sitting for as little as 20 minutes. We brought it to the dealer's attention at the 25K service but they could not reproduce.
I've inquired twice now (at the dealer) whether or not a timing chain or tensioner issue is covered by the 10y/120k dieselgate fix, and they insist it is. I plan to get it in writing, just in case. We had the emissions recall done at 21K.
Just wondering if you have had any further prognosis ?????
Oil's been sampled before each change (we have the paid maintenance plan), and iron is averaging 140 ppm each 10k miles (we've tried two 5K changes and iron averaged 80 ppm). Blackstone says this is 3 times as high as universal average. Aluminum is a little high as well (but not so bad).
The vehicle is our family's transporter so it sees several short trips (<5 miles) a week, though it does warm up fully each time, according to the temp gauge. Occasionally we take trips over the mountains (~200 miles roundrip).
At the 35K service we brought it up again, and they actually confirmed after hearing it start it when it sat for an hour at the service drop-off. They kept it overnight, and were not able to reproduce the next morning so they sent us on our way. Sigh.
We have no intentions at this point to sell or move on because there just isn't any vehicle out there that has the same capabilities as our beloved Audi. Maybe if Chevy puts their vaunted I-6 new diesel into a Tahoe I just *might* be tempted
Just wondering if you have any further experience to share with us?? Mine is rattling every day... annoying.
Old September 23rd, 2019, 13:49   #43
TDIPOWERMAN
Veteran Member

Ok, so I've called my local dealer and the parts man tells me there is NO anti bleed back flapper since this is a cartridge type filter. Also the housing does NOT have any anti-drain back flapper as part of the assembly. Is that true? Where does one go from there?
rocketchip 4 -- VNT 17 -- PP520's -- 11mm IP -- G60 flywheel SB stage 2 Endurance clutch -- 2.5" turbo back exhaust -- boost/egt gauges -- Ebay front mount intercooler -- 18" wheels -- Koni/elibach suspension -- -- rebuilt interior/exterior
Old September 23rd, 2019, 14:11   #44
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Any mechanism that holds oil in the filter housing would be down inside the filter housing, which is an adapter that also has the coolant thermostat inside.

There is a part number update, a K suffix to a P sufflix, but I have no idea why.

FWIW, lots of engines have start-up chain rattles. Some (most) live long happy lives like that, and it does not seem to adversely effect them at all.
Old October 17th, 2019, 07:54   #45
TDIPOWERMAN
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Any mechanism that holds oil in the filter housing would be down inside the filter housing, which is an adapter that also has the coolant thermostat inside.
There is a part number update, a K suffix to a P sufflix, but I have no idea why.
FWIW, lots of engines have start-up chain rattles. Some (most) live long happy lives like that, and it does not seem to adversely effect them at all.
Yeah... thanks for that advise. I may just need to ignore that start up rattle and drive it!