www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old September 10th, 2019, 14:55   #61
Louie710

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXRPM View Post
Shoot this GTG planning has been in the works over 2 years still no GTG wow, i remembered back in the days we posted and only took a few replies and GTG was set up, next thing Aeron bora parts, Justin, oldpoopie, Matt AHU, wrenching, Jeff rocketship, Even Peter from Id parts showed up, and all kinds of members, from all over, sad now but it is the fact over 2 years and nothing,
Thats what im sayin man ive been checking in to see when people are gonna do this. Im ready. Its sad to see the local stance fags can put together a weekly meet but us over here cant do **** =(
Louie710 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 12:45   #62
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57/46/42 on B20

I'm forever busy with family commitments but a good GTG would take priority. Our 2003 Beetle is in need of a refresh and lots of attention, it just turned 200k. Probably time-due for a TB as well.
My '94 Audi Cabriolet AFN swap has been stalled for a few years due to a move and health. Got everything to do it just need time, ability and space. I just had hip surgery 3 weeks ago, hopefully PT goes well or I'll be having back surgery after the first of the year.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 14:49   #63
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
I'm forever busy with family commitments but a good GTG would take priority. Our 2003 Beetle is in need of a refresh and lots of attention, it just turned 200k. Probably time-due for a TB as well.
My '94 Audi Cabriolet AFN swap has been stalled for a few years due to a move and health. Got everything to do it just need time, ability and space. I just had hip surgery 3 weeks ago, hopefully PT goes well or I'll be having back surgery after the first of the year.

Hopefully the Beetle won't need another oil pan!

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 15:13   #64
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

I thought I was the only one having issues with cracked oil pans, that goes to show you how great our bay area roads are.
Old September 18th, 2019, 17:39   #65
Baumeister
Veteran Member

Mine was memorable, I did it on a test drive after some guru work at a GTG!(I think it was the last part of an ESP retrofit)

Luckily it was on day one of a 2 day GTG, David and Ashlee brought me an oil pan, and Aaron made his easiest skid plate sale ever.

Quote:
I thought I was the only one having issues with cracked oil pans, that goes to show you how great our bay area roads are.
Old September 18th, 2019, 20:43   #66
romad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumeister View Post
Mine was memorable, I did it on a test drive after some guru work at a GTG!(I think it was the last part of an ESP retrofit)

Luckily it was on day one of a 2 day GTG, David and Ashlee brought me an oil pan, and Aaron made his easiest skid plate sale ever.
Yep, I remember you pulling in after a chow run (IIRC) and while a bunch of us were talking, I noticed a fluid flowing out from under the car. You’d taken a speed bump a little fast.

The fleet:
2005 Jetta Wagon "Cranberry" (bought July 2011)
2004 Toyota Prius (bought August 2004)
1990 Mazda Miata (bought July 1989)
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 23:43   #67
Baumeister
Veteran Member

That sounds about right. It was raining so torrentially hard that I misjudged the speed bump around the corner from where we were.

I had made it 8 years without a skidplate at that point, with the only mishap being my wife dislodging the intercooler hose once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
Yep, I remember you pulling in after a chow run (IIRC) and while a bunch of us were talking, I noticed a fluid flowing out from under the car. You’d taken a speed bump a little fast.
Old September 19th, 2019, 00:56   #68
MAXRPM
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 57 mpg driving like a granny on HWY-5 from LA to SF

I've had a total of 3 with skid plates on the car, I could not figure it out why, up until I saw one of the oil pan got hit right close to the oil plug on the bottom flat part, and the culprit was actually the skid plate (Flaw)that little plate that you take out to be able to change the oil, got an aluminium bar plate across and when skid plate is hit from the bottom it pushes that little plate hard towards oil pan cracking it, so if you have that little plate pls take it out and skid plate now would not be a lemon.
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:32   #69
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I did make it out there one year, day trip from Boston. First flight out, red-eye home. It was a lot of fun. But GTGs are a thing of the past now, pretty much. Kirk Blackmore has one in Grand Rapids in a couple weeks, I'm going to that. And Peter and Julie had a GTG at the Ho5G at New Year's, but I'm not certain they'll continue with that.

I spent a lot of time in the early years of running IDParts going to GTGs, traveling to Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, Florida, Missouri, Ohio, and lots of other places. It was a lot of fun. But time marches on.
Old September 19th, 2019, 22:22   #70
Louie710

Quote:
...that little plate that you take out to be able to change the oil, got an aluminium bar plate across and when skid plate is hit from the bottom it pushes that little plate hard towards oil pan cracking it, so if you have that little plate pls take it out and skid plate now would not be a lemon.
I know exactly what piece your talking about. I bought an old used skid plate off a fellow member here and it has that piece on it. Its been on the car for a few months now. Taking it off tonight! Thank you!
Louie710 is online now   Reply With Quote