www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Picture Gallery/Specs of Members' TDIs > Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery

Jetta/Bora/Vento TDI Picture Gallery Do you have a Jetta/Bora/or Vento TDI? If so write a message here describing it and insert a picture if you have one. If you don't have one on the computer, email me and I'll give you my address and I'll scan it for you. If you need web space for it, email me as well. Please make a short yet descriptive title for your vehicle.

Old November 3rd, 2018, 22:06   #16
benIV
Veteran Member

Default Knurren: The Final Chapter 2003 Jetta Wagon 5m (Golf Variant)

11-02-18 was a horrid day.

I donít know what happened or why, other than the caliper carrier was broken where the bolt holds it on the axle beam (or stub axle? not sure) and the bolt was missing or sheared off. Iím so annoyed. I donít understand. Got it fixed and checked everything again. I will put up pictures soon. Other damage was that the caliper jammed into the wheel or something and ground into it and apparently fractured the actual wheel. So thatís unusable now.

anyway, hereís what it looked like when i pulled off the road. Other pictures to continue.

Broken caliper. Broke the casting and guide pins and a good bit.

iím really angry with myself because iím wondering what i did wrong. I half feel like selling all my tools.
OCD TDICLUB MEMBER #6 - 2003 TDI Mafia Member
Orville, 2003 Jetta 5m Sedan, Platinum Gray
Wilbur (Knurren), 2003 Jetta 5m Wagon (Golf Variant), Reflex Silver

1974 Super Beetle Conv
1986 Mercedes 560 SL
1956 Chevy Truck - Hot Rod

Last edited by benIV; November 5th, 2018 at 18:56.
benIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2018, 19:05   #17
benIV
Veteran Member

Default Knurren: The Final Chapter 2003 Jetta Wagon 5m (Golf Variant)

Currently I need to do at least a front pad job and finish the suspension refresh with the rear springs and shocks. I get looking at parts and think, why not get some more things while i’m under there.

Up in post #13 you see some photos of the underside... What do you think about the rear axle beam and the subframe up front. There’s some decent amount of rust... Is that a problem on those pieces? Will it spread? Can it be fixed? Should I replace it if I have the funds?

Looking for some opinions/guidance on what to do with some of these heavy rusted parts. Seems silly to put a bunch of new stuff in and bolt it up to all that rusted stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1974 Super Beetle Conv
1986 Mercedes 560 SL

Last edited by benIV; November 6th, 2018 at 13:49.
Old November 6th, 2018, 05:11   #18
Growler
Got Soot Vendor

Was that pin not tightened fully? they don't have to be he man tight but snug plus a little more should have been sufficient.

the part that broke off was the cup that this pin slides into right? shown in this picture here:

On the rear beam and the front K member, a wire wheel on a drill is cheap.. do you have a way to get the car off the ground to scrub away the loose paint.. then just spray/brush it with POR-15 or something to help it to survive longer and look better.

I know that when you do the front brakes you will want to be extra careful with the front drivers side caliper mounting slide pin/bolt. those threads weren't very strong the last time I was in there so don't go reefing on it fully, or perhaps plan on putting in a heli-coil to repair the threads.

Schmutz 2015 GSW S DSG
Schnurren 2001 Golf 2 door.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2018, 13:49   #19
benIV
Veteran Member

Thanks Aaron. I have access to a lift so I'll be getting rid of that flaking paint and spraying it. I just want to make sure it doesn't spread plus I'm having a weird OCD thing going on lately with my cars. I'm at the point where 3 of my cars are 15+ years each and I'm thinking "It's been on there this long, maybe if I replace it with some new oem stuff it'll last another 15 before I need to do anymore serious work.

As far as what happened with the caliper bolt, I'm not sure. I swear I put them in and snugged them all down and didn't he-man them on... I know my memory seems to be going a bit but I swear it went all back on how it should .. i even used my freshly calibrated torque wrench where I could so I'm not sure. The guy who fixed it made it sound like if i didn't put blue loctite on the threads for both the caliper guides and the carrier that it would've caused them to fall off. idk how true that is.

In regards to the front brakes:
I've actually wondering if the thunking sound might have something to do with the driver's front brake as it's becoming intermittent and sometimes it doesn't crop up until I hit the brakes for the first time in the drive. I'm putting it up on the lift this weekend, I think, so I'll be checking multiple things.

1974 Super Beetle Conv
1986 Mercedes 560 SL

Last edited by benIV; November 6th, 2018 at 13:56.
Old November 13th, 2018, 17:53   #20
benIV
Veteran Member

Default Knurrenís New Chapter (or) The Adventures of Wilbur & Orville (03 Jetta Wagon 5m)

About 233,400 miles ... Got another fill up, averaged about 44. I havenít been keeping track of the mileage well (iíve got all the receipts, just need to put them in fuelly) so Iím not sure if thatís normal or not. Been driving mostly city though.

Anyway, main event for today was replacing the front rotors and pads. The pads ended up not being too bad but the rotors iím not sure if theyíre worth holding onto. They didnít look too thin but they were well rusty, so Iím going to try to get them turned down and cleaned up. I think there is a lathe for rotors at the hobby shop on base so Iíll do it there.

Unfortunately I found out how badly the front knuckle is where the guide pins bolt into. The threaded holes are basically not threaded. Front what Aaronís told me before I bought it and afterwards, thereís a couple things I can do... helicoils or replace the knuckle.

Since the knuckle is quite badly rusting, and idparts sells a complete knuckle with bearings/hub for only 170 per side, i figure what the hell, just replace the full knuckle. Itíll help with the OCD iíve been experiencing with my cars lately.

I think thereís some other things I will do as well but in the meantime Iím gonna be driving it less as Iím very paranoid what might happen with that front caliper. I donít want a repeat of November 2nd. ....

I looked around the CV thinking it was the main culprit of the clunking, and I know that the boot can be in good shape and the joint can still be in failure, but everything looked good and I gave it a spin and i didnít hear any odd noises (maybe I wonít unless under load from the engine.) Iím still skeptical about the CV but wondering if the clunking Iím hearing is more due to the guide bolts.

Iím going to replace at least this fender liner, although it appears to be one of the new vented kind lol Should I replace the IC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1974 Super Beetle Conv
1986 Mercedes 560 SL

Last edited by benIV; November 13th, 2018 at 18:01.