after market head light ?

zukin

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
got after market light for my jetta

can't get the fog lights to work.
there is only the oem style plug, is the factory headlight harness not wired for tthese lights?
I have euro headlight switch install.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Just to clarify, if the car did not come w/ fogs originally, you'll need to run a wire from the headlight conx to a relay and power from the relay to the headlight. You want to trigger the fog from the headlight switch, not power it from the headlight switch.

Good info in the link above.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Just did this on the daughter's wagon. Hardest part was snaking the trigger wire in to the cabin (and then over to the switch): the term "pushing on a string" comes to one's mind.

I got a nice kit w/switch (off of ebay I believe) for $44. No messing with wire lengths and such; the fit is excellent. Came with relay and, as noted, the dash switch (claimed to be an actual VAG one). Had a ton of other work to do, so having something plug-and-play was worth the savings in time for me.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just to clarify, if the car did not come w/ fogs originally, you'll need to run a wire from the headlight conx to a relay and power from the relay to the headlight.
....this will involve adding another terminal wire to the plug that plugs into the headlight switch, since the harness is not likely wired for fogs.

Best way to get the specific terminal wire is to buy a "repair wire kit" from the dealer... a yellow wire about 18" long with a terminal on each end. Which you then cut in half to give you two terminals. :)

Some additional wiring hints here... including which specific headlight switch terminal you need to add the wire to (pin 8) and the dealer part number for the "repair wire kit":

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=37585

You can also just buy a fog light wiring kit, which generally comes with the correct terminal, a relay, fuse, etc. Here's one example:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...Wbqv6XUzZ2SUUlrSM3v6MM7fqUMmlpOzVChoC9D3w_wcB

Last edited:

zukin

TDI
2003 jetta tdi
car did not have factory fog lights
so do I have to rewire the headlight plug or can I add a wire to the oem plug?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To me "rewiring the headlight plug" and "adding a wire to the oem plug" are kinda the same... but in any event "adding a wire to the oem plug" is more descriptive of what you actually do.

You add a new terminal (with attached wire) to pin 8 of the oem headlight switch plug, which you then connect to a relay you install... that supplies power thru a fuse you install... to a wire that you run to your new headlights.

Dunno what you'll need to do to run this new wire into the fog lights themselves... it depends on the harness your aftermarket headlights are expecting...but if it has the factory plug-in you'll need to add a new terminal there too. Many after-market kits have a separate wire for the fogs, so no additional terminal required. Mine had a separate wire to the fogs.

It's not plug-and-play: you've got to install a relay, a fuse, additional terminals, and then do a bit of wiring including a run thru the firewall to the front of the car... which is why many people buy a wiring kit.

As per the thread I linked above.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the lights have all the bulbs wired to the oem style plug
Ok, then the second post / first picture in the thread I linked to shows you where you'll need to add an additional terminal to the headlight plug itself... top row, pin 2.