www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old December 18th, 2015, 16:43   #61
CDubber
Veteran Member

Default 2010 Jetta TDI Radio stopped working suddenly

Heh, my $500 gift card from VW arrived the day after the untimely demise of my stereo. How serendipitous. Bummer is CES is only a few weeks away so I'm compelled to wait and see what's new in the car audio market. So I guess I'll be driving in silent lucidity for now.
Old December 29th, 2015, 07:33   #62
FXDL
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.4 per 100KM's

Vw wants like 500 buck or more for refurb radio.
One is better getting an aftermarket one.
Mercedes as I understand use the same crapy radio as the VW.
One can get a much better radio for around the same prive as the rebuilt vw junk.
To have mine repaired is going to cost as much as buying a new better radio with GPS which mine did not have.
The new one I am going for comes with all adapters needed for plug and play so i was told. Will check into further to make sure it will work with my car.

Last edited by FXDL; December 29th, 2015 at 07:52.
FXDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 03:08   #63
BarryT82
Veteran Member

You can install a factory navigation in your car. You need to add a GPS antenna, but it's easy.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:15   #64
maybe368
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Happily none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
You can install a factory navigation in your car. You need to add a GPS antenna, but it's easy.
I can vouch for that. the hardest part is the stress of removing the plastic panels without breaking them. With the right tools they pop right off. Thanks again Barry, I can back up now without worrying about running over kids...Mark
1968 Chevrolet Impala SS conv 396 325 HP #s matching
2017 Toyota 4Runner Off Road, loaded Thanks VW looking for older TDI
maybe368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2016, 03:29   #65
BarryT82
Veteran Member

The Beetle radio trim is a lot harder to remove than the Jetta and Golf. The vents snap off of the trim very easy and it's hard to get them back together. I have a few AF radios and navigations available. I also have two of the RCD-510's with the camera input.
Old January 18th, 2016, 12:30   #66
LaTuFu

Add another 2010 Jetta Sportwagen with a dead radio to the pile. Went to lunch, got in my car to come back to work and was greeted with a loud popping sound in the speakers, and a black screen on the display. Hit the power button on the display and the popping sound stopped. Now the clock flickers on and off repeatedly. The time is still displaying correctly, so the unit is getting power. After reading through this thread and others I am concerned that the battery may drain now while this is going on.

I rarely listen to music any more, I'm just not in the car alone long enough to do it. I mainly use it for BT phone calls for work, the occasional music. Most usage beyond phone calls is BT podcasts or sports talk radio.

I have already spent most of my "goodwill" card getting the pano sunroof drains repaired.

Am I better off getting a Crutchfield unit, or just getting a refurb from BarryT82?

I don't want Nav, I use Google maps on my phone. All I really need/want is good BT and would be nice to keep the use of my steering wheel controls.
Old January 21st, 2016, 15:31   #67
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
Add another 2010 Jetta Sportwagen with a dead radio to the pile. Went to lunch, got in my car to come back to work and was greeted with a loud popping sound in the speakers, and a black screen on the display. Hit the power button on the display and the popping sound stopped. Now the clock flickers on and off repeatedly. The time is still displaying correctly, so the unit is getting power. After reading through this thread and others I am concerned that the battery may drain now while this is going on.

I rarely listen to music any more, I'm just not in the car alone long enough to do it. I mainly use it for BT phone calls for work, the occasional music. Most usage beyond phone calls is BT podcasts or sports talk radio.

I have already spent most of my "goodwill" card getting the pano sunroof drains repaired.

Am I better off getting a Crutchfield unit, or just getting a refurb from BarryT82?

I don't want Nav, I use Google maps on my phone. All I really need/want is good BT and would be nice to keep the use of my steering wheel controls.
A 9w7 Bluetooth with an AF radio would give you everything you want.
Old February 4th, 2016, 06:17   #68
jnichols

Default Thank you Mr BarryT82!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryT82 View Post
A 9w7 Bluetooth with an AF radio would give you everything you want.
I found this site and was happy when I found some threads posted by BarryT82 regarding my wife's dead Radio in her 2010 Jetta TDI. She drove in silence for 4 months, and she was very happy last night after I installed both the radio and the 9w7 BT device I bought from Barry. He sent quickly and it was packaged very well. Now with the new improved BT she is a very happy customer, and we all know a Happy Wife = a Happy Life!!

Now I need to find the BarryT82 equivalent for my BMW XD diesel, with a BT issue in that.

jnichols
jnichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 13:19   #69
BarryT82
Veteran Member

You're welcome! This may help with your BMW.
http://www.bimmernav.com/BMW_X5_Blue...tructions.html

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540738

Last edited by BarryT82; February 16th, 2016 at 13:23.
Old February 25th, 2016, 19:19   #70
HD F250

Add me to the list, wife started car and radio shut off and popped through speakers until I came home and pulled fuse under the hood.
HD F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 12:39   #71
perplex

are you saying pulling the fuse under the hood fixed your wife's radio? that didn't work for 99% of people on this thread, most of us had to buy a new radio (from barry).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD F250 View Post
Add me to the list, wife started car and radio shut off and popped through speakers until I came home and pulled fuse under the hood.
perplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 19:35   #72
swamps

TDI(s): 2011 golf

add me to the list what a joke just purchased the car and loved the radio setup and now it's not wanting to turn on!!!! what are my options guys?
thanks kc
swamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 19:36   #73
swamps

TDI(s): 2011 golf

Barry can you PM please! thanks
swamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:07   #74
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplex View Post
are you saying pulling the fuse under the hood fixed your wife's radio? that didn't work for 99% of people on this thread, most of us had to buy a new radio (from barry).
I took it to mean he had to pull the fuse to stop the popping that was comming thru the speakers.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 17:32   #75
HD F250

Quote:
Originally Posted by perplex View Post
LOL....sorry for the confusion. It just fixed the popping noise, but the radio is DEAD!
HD F250 is offline   Reply With Quote