www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old June 26th, 2015, 17:53   #16
CatJetta

Default Dead radio in 2010 Jetta Sportwagon

Radio went dead today. I see from posts that there is a possible "3 minute reset." Can someone tell me how to do that? I'd like to try . I don't have the booklet regarding the Sound System, as I purchased the Jetta pre-owned.
CatJetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 15:44   #17
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

push and hold the power button for radio is suppose to be the reset. there are a few people said it worked for them, but they seem to be just a few lucky ones.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2015, 18:05   #18
TDIWGN

Mine stopped working yesterday all of a sudden too. Drove to work to access the bike path and was enjoying my music. Then I left for the bike ride. When I got back to the car, the unit was dead.. it was a hot day and it was hot in the car... 111 000km's on it. Thankfully I still have the warranty on it, taking it in on Saturday to see what's the problem.

Thanks for the tips, tried some things, but still nothing.
TDIWGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 06:29   #19
BarryT82
Veteran Member

It's a common issue with the revision AC radios. You can swap out your radio with a newer revision or a navigation. You need the security code for the radio and you may possibly need VCDS to recode it. If you need one send me a message. I normally have a few available.
BarryT82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 18:51   #20
XCRunner

TDI(s): ...

Another 2010 Jetta with a dead radio. I called VW of America and said it's not the 1st one they have heard of but it's not a common issue. It seems that most people are just not even dealing with it an just putting in aftermarket equipment. In order for VW to offer a recall or address the issue more people need to call and report it. The number is 1-800-822-8987. Please call and let them know. Hopefully we can get this issue addressed. This is crazy that a 5yr old car has a dead radio...

Runner
XCRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 18:29   #21
KARKS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1090/980/870

Same problem here, mine died just this morning without warning. All was working with no issue. Started my car this morning and it didn't power up. My Bluetooth connects as well, but cannot hear anything. Going to take it to VW to check out and they can log the issue. If it is in fact dead I am thinking it will be best to replace with an aftermarket - any recommendations?
KARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 10:51   #22
jetlagmech
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2010 jetta
Fuel Economy: best tank 50.6, worst 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARKS View Post
Same problem here, mine died just this morning without warning. All was working with no issue. Started my car this morning and it didn't power up. My Bluetooth connects as well, but cannot hear anything. Going to take it to VW to check out and they can log the issue. If it is in fact dead I am thinking it will be best to replace with an aftermarket - any recommendations?
the dealer will probably charge you $100 to diagnose a bad radio. that 100 will go a long ways toward your new one.
1946 Luscombe 8E
jetlagmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 04:37   #23
BarryT82
Veteran Member

They'll charge you an hour labor to check it and then try to sell you a refurb or new radio. Buy a newer radio from a 2013 or newer car. You'll get more features and a better radio. I have a few for sale.
Old September 15th, 2015, 18:21   #24
KARKS
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 1090/980/870

Took the car to the dealer for a warranty item and had them look at the head unit. They confirmed what I already knew that the head unit is DOA! And they want $975 Plus tax plus install to replace. I was impressed with my service advisor who said not to bother with going OEM based on the price.

I also called VW of Canada to report this issue and why they are not covering when so many reporting the issue. They opened up a case file. I highly doubt anything will come of it, but wanted to at least report the issue.

BarryT82 what options do you have the cost for the Unit and Shipping to Ontario.
KARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 19:47   #25
maybe368
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Happily none

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARKS View Post
Took the car to the dealer for a warranty item and had them look at the head unit. They confirmed what I already knew that the head unit is DOA! And they want $975 Plus tax plus install to replace. I was impressed with my service advisor who said not to bother with going OEM based on the price.

I also called VW of Canada to report this issue and why they are not covering when so many reporting the issue. They opened up a case file. I highly doubt anything will come of it, but wanted to at least report the issue.

BarryT82 what options do you have the cost for the Unit and Shipping to Ontario.
Barry is the man on these radios. I bought one from him and I am pleased with the unit, the shipping and the price. Send him a PM...Mark
1968 Chevrolet Impala SS conv 396 325 HP #s matching
2017 Toyota 4Runner Off Road, loaded Thanks VW looking for older TDI
maybe368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 15:31   #26
billmc2010TDI

Fuel Economy: 41

Hi DereksTDI, I am another of the thousands of dead radio victims (2010 Jetta TDI). I saw a few radio models on Crutchfield and wondered which one you went with. Also, since the VW unit has a muti-wire harness connection, were you able to connect the new one via a similar harness, vs connecting each wire separately. Like you, I'm disinclined to buy another VW unit, only to have it die also. After all, we all own our tdi's for the "long haul". Many thanks, Bill
billmc2010TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 18:30   #27
BarryT82
Veteran Member

It's only the early version AC radios that have the issue. It's a fuse on the board that goes bad, but it's cheaper to buy a new radio than to repair the broken one.
Old September 20th, 2015, 19:52   #28
m22mike

My radio died about 3 weeks ago. Dealer wanted me to buy a new one for $500+ but I said I'd get back to them. Then I found this thread. Thanks for the info all. Definitely didn't like the idea of spending so much money for a radio that shouldn't go bad.
m22mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:11   #29
Farff

I'm taking my 2009 Jetta TDI in to the dealer tomorrow for my FOURTH radio. Various failures over the years had me replace the first radio under the original warranty. That one failed, and I had to buy a new one. The dealership had to replace that one under the one year warranty that comes with the part, and they're about to do that again. Ridiculous.
Farff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 03:14   #30
BarryT82
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farff View Post
I'm taking my 2009 Jetta TDI in to the dealer tomorrow for my FOURTH radio. Various failures over the years had me replace the first radio under the original warranty. That one failed, and I had to buy a new one. The dealership had to replace that one under the one year warranty that comes with the part, and they're about to do that again. Ridiculous.
Tell them to give you a newer revision. They're probably giving you a refurbished revision AC. If you pull it out and look at the label you'll see the part number. The refurbished radios end with X so it would be 1k0035180acx.