www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 2nd, 2019, 13:57   #166
chtef

Default AD vs AC

Turns out that the problem was the radio itself. I went to the dealer and they tried the radio I received (didn't work) and then they tried a radio they had in their garage and it worked.
Thankfully, I was able to return the defective unit and should get a full refund.
Now I am considering ordering a 1K0035180AD instead of AC. A bit nervous that this could cause problems but most forum posts seem to say that the AD should be able to work in a car with an AC.
Thanks for your replies, I will keep the forum posted.
chtef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 01:53   #167
Fixmy59bug
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Check my Fuelly Tag for most up-to-date numbers

The AD is a replacement for the AC, but it suffers from the same problem.

Your best bet is to go with part number 1K0-035-180-AF (or later) or even a 1K0-035-188-T
Old November 6th, 2019, 06:25   #168
robschwieb

Default FIXED!!! (for now...)

Over the last 2 weeks the radio in my wife's 2011 SportWagen started acting up. Sometimes it would turn on with the car, others it would turn on after she had been out running errands. Eventually it stopped working all together.

Temps have just started to drop in our region and that made me think it had something to do with it. I figured it was likely a bad solder joint made worse by cooling temps and that would also explain why it would occasionally start working after the vehicle had warmed up.

Going off this hunch, I pulled the head unit and disassembled it. I stripped it down until it was just the metal case/frame, lower board that contains the heatsink which is "riveted" to the metal frame, and the small board that sits on top of the main lower board. I removed the fuse, white plastic connector around the dual barrel "coax looking" jacks on the back, and popped out the green plastic jack which has a small black cable that easily disconnects from the main board.

With these parts off, I heated my kitchen oven up to 385. The bottom of the radio case doesn't allow the radio to sit flat so I propped the back up with a ball of tinfoil and put it on a baking sheet. Probably not necessary but I wanted to keep stuff as flat as possible during this process.
After 9 minutes in the oven at 385, I turned off the oven and opened the door. I let it cool down for about 30 minutes and then pulled it out and reassembled everything.

To my surprise the radio is back to it's original functioning state! Not sure how long this will last (it's likely the next summer to winter temp change will cause issues again) but it's been going strong for about a week now and it cost me nothing other than a bit of my time.

I just wanted to share this here in case anyone else finds this thread like I did while searching Google. Not saying this will work for every failed unit but it's worth a shot in my book!

CAUTION, if you attempt this in your residential kitchen oven make sure you have proper exhaust ventilation! I didn't smell anything when I did mine but I've read numerous things about this process giving off bad fumes. Not sure how valid those claims are but it's always better to err on the side of caution with this stuff!
robschwieb is offline   Reply With Quote