www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Old January 20th, 2012, 18:03   #1
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Default 2012 Passat TDI: "Crack" sound behind dash

We've now heard a nasty "crack" sound 3 different times, coming from behind the dash, at the base of the windshield.
Each occurance was while accelerating or decelerating (I guess "loaded" drivetrain?), going over a large expansion crack. The sound occured simultaneously with the tires smacking the crack in the road.

The first time it happened, everyone in the car freaked (my wife asked if I had hit something), as it sounded like a stick had fallen near the windsheild.

There are no other indications of a problem...no rattles/vibrations of any kind.

Any thoughts? Is the possible the dash is improperly installed? I'm really baffled by this one.
2013 Ford CMax Hybrid (39.2mpg C/H)
2017 Ford Energi Titanium, purchased 12/15/18
tdiatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 18:34   #2
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

I think you may be hearing the steering assist. I did a hard acceleration and the traction control kicked in as well as the brakes or anti lock brakes, not sure what all and heard a sound like this.

I read something about the traction control features and that the steering is now controlled as part of this as well. It was in the manual in the section about traction control, something about the DSP Plus system or something new like that.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 23:41   #3
TomB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34 mpg on first tank

I am wondering about a sound I heard tonight. Under a full throttle start on a slightly wet surface, the car took off crossed the painted intersection/crosswalk lines and then the ESC or some other system kicked in and cut power.

Then the engine kicked in again and there were several large clunk sounds that sounded like the old days with rear wheel drive on high HP cars and the bars attached to the axle would hit the frame (I cannot remember the right name for them).

They had rubber on the one end and were supposed to contain the rotation of the axle from all the torque.

Is this a thing associated with transverse mount versus longitudinal mounted engines? The motor mounts giving way? Torque protection bars?

Anyone know?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 05:44   #4
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

This doesn't sound like a suspension clunk. It sounded more like plastic getting hit with a hammer, maybe like the dash assembly not being properly secured to the "firewall." (Don't know why I put "firewall" in quotes...with th DPF getting upwards of 1300f, the term is once again very appropriate!)
Sadly, in order to duplicate it again, I have to abuse the car and find a pothole to smack...
Old January 23rd, 2012, 15:00   #5
TheGrove
TDIClub Enthusiast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
I am wondering about a sound I heard tonight. Under a full throttle start on a slightly wet surface, the car took off crossed the painted intersection/crosswalk lines and then the ESC or some other system kicked in and cut power.

Then the engine kicked in again and there were several large clunk sounds that sounded like the old days with rear wheel drive on high HP cars and the bars attached to the axle would hit the frame (I cannot remember the right name for them).

They had rubber on the one end and were supposed to contain the rotation of the axle from all the torque.

Is this a thing associated with transverse mount versus longitudinal mounted engines? The motor mounts giving way? Torque protection bars?

Anyone know?
Don't know but mine did the same thing last week when I accelerated too hard on some wet pavement. Scared the heck out of me. Made me very quickly back out and put less foot into the throttle.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 15:05   #6
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Hmmm... I think I know what traction control sounds like, but maybe not. My sound doesn't match that.

I'll say again, in every case for me, the "crack" was quick, percussive, and like a hammer hitting plastic. The sound occured when hitting an expansion crack, square on, both tires at the same moment.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 15:08   #7
abctdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Slapper bars, or traction bars...
05 Passat GLS 2.0 PD, UnChained & Steel GPs by VW, 15" steelies, New TB/WP, motor mounts, alt pulley, trans filter, cv boots, TSB #P9/66C8, clear bra & tint, both raxles. Now only driven 1-2 times per week. 123k miles (sold)

DD is a 2012 Kia Optima SX turbo with 274 hp and 269lb-ft@1,750-4,500rpm
abctdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2012, 17:20   #8
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

OP here. My car is an early production (5/2011). While at the dealer today for its state safety inspection, I decided to check out the dash integrity of other production Passats.

In my car, if I grab and gently push/pull the dash where it arches above the steering wheel, I can hear the dash creaking/rubbing against the Fender trim piece that runs along the dash at the base of the windshield. It doesn't sound loose, but definitely is creaking/binding.

The 2 new Passats I checked did NOT make any sound when I tried to make the dash shift.

The dealer has offered to install a sound deadening kit, which he said is simply strips of foam tape between the 2 dash components. This would require some disassembly of the dash, which I'm not very happy about.

Can anyone tell me how the trim at the base of the windshield attaches to the main dashboard? How complicated is it to remove, so some foam tape can be placed between it and the dash?

Thanks. I continue to be VERY impressed with the service I'm getting at Stohlman VW (Jack Smith, service advisor) as they're very attentive to my requests.
Old July 24th, 2012, 18:36   #9
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

I'd go ahead and have them install the kit.
Old July 29th, 2012, 21:16   #10
Rajpatel1969

Heard this creak or crack but mine came from the fender speaker raised bar just in front of the windshield. If you press down on his bar on one side, you might be able to recreate it. It's a hard plastic creak noise.
Rajpatel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 21:52   #11
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Raj, that's where the noise is coming from (see post #8 above), where the Fender trim contacts the main dash. Dealer has offered to add foam tape between the two parts.
Old July 31st, 2012, 18:13   #12
Rajpatel1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
Raj, that's where the noise is coming from (see post #8 above), where the Fender trim contacts the main dash. Dealer has offered to add foam tape between the two parts.

Mine is a April 2012 production car. Guess it's still being unresolved. What is the scope of effort to fix it? Foam tape by removing dash? Forget it.
Rajpatel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 14:08   #13
eatpasta
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2012 Passat

I get that sound too when I turn on the AC in the heat....the sound of the dash shrinking slightly with the cold air.
Old August 1st, 2012, 19:23   #14
tdiatlast
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajpatel1969 View Post
Mine is a April 2012 production car. Guess it's still being unresolved. What is the scope of effort to fix it? Foam tape by removing dash? Forget it.
That's my question. How difficult is it to remove the dash trim below the windshield? If it's a "no-brainer", I'll do it myself. However, if it requires major dis-assembly of the entire dash, I'll probably just learn to ignore the sound.

When I return home from our vacation, I'll probably experiment with bits of foam tape and a plastic "trim" tool. I'll try to push small strips of foam tape between the dash trim and the dash itself.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:31   #15
JARED_LA
Veteran Member

I'm having the same issues. I think you can pop the fender piece out. I tried this morning before leaving work and was able to pry the ends up where the Fender label is. Simply push up with your thumb.
JARED_LA is offline   Reply With Quote