www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old March 16th, 2016, 13:06   #61
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

my buddies auto jetta and manual golf, he was selling the jetta and wanted to keep the auto pump so i did a pump swap in his driveway 25 minutes start to finish including hammer modding the manual pump... totally uneccessary to remove the VC during a swap ... just establish tdc first and have the pump pin handy
Old July 26th, 2017, 07:00   #62
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Default Dumped Photobucket

As some of you probably know, Photobucket made a decision to require those of us that use them for pictures on forums like TDI Club to pay something like $400/year. And, they did this without any warning to their registered subscribers. Well, I've dumped Photobucket.

After doing some research, I've switched to vgy.me for photo hosting and updated this thread. If vgy.me pulls the same stunt at a later date, then I won't be updating again, as it takes too much precious time.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue (Birdie)
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:49   #63
boertje
Veteran Member

I had made pdfs on the howtos I've done so all is not lost should any other hosting service demand big money for their services.
boertje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:08   #64
Keithuk

I haven't posted TDI Timing Belts on this forum but I have on the other forum.

Timing Belts App

If you want is posting on this forum let me know?

Keithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2017, 22:50   #65
UhOh
Veteran Member

Just a note to mention that there are cam indexing tools that don't require pulling the valve cover.
UhOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2017, 00:00   #66
oldpoopie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer928 View Post
As some of you probably know, Photobucket made a decision to require those of us that use them for pictures on forums like TDI Club to pay something like $400/year. And, they did this without any warning to their registered subscribers. Well, I've dumped Photobucket.
After doing some research, I've switched to vgy.me for photo hosting and updated this thread. If vgy.me pulls the same stunt at a later date, then I won't be updating again, as it takes too much precious time.
Bummer. But you know tdiclub has its own photo hosting?

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 20:28   #67
Tmorgan1988

Default Need help!

Hi there I bought a 2001 Jetta tdi auto, with help reading many articles on this club I completed the 5 speed swap, went very smooth! I then had some running issues read some more articles and found my in tank unit was clogged so I replaced it. My problem is my injection pump is getting seriously hot! While using vag com tdi timing my fuel temp goes from an average of 140 to 200 ! Any ideas, has my injection pump over worked itself by previous owner? Thanks
Tmorgan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2017, 23:01   #68
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

Generally speaking, if the pump is getting hot it is because the thermo-tee on the top of the filter is not opening and allowing the fuel to circulate back to the tank to allow fresh fuel in to the filter and then into the pump head keeping it cool. I will suggest if the fuel pickup was plugged for any length of time damage could have been done to the pump internals; I only know this as I recently went through the same thing. As far as swapping out the injection pump w/o removing the timing belt goes we were in and out in less than 1 hour yesterday, it can be done but you have to know how to prevent the loss of proper timing. We used quite a few clamps, though. If your pump is junk, contact Dutch Auto Parts for the fastest and least expensive way to get a replacement. See post #1 :
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=434593
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Vented, No Kitty, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, TurboLabAmerica Hybrid 15-17/56, VCDS Hex+CAN, S-B Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Koni Orange, New Paint. Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:32   #69
4thbugTDI

I need to remove my injector from my 2000 NB parts car(ie, head already removed). Is there a way I can get it off without buy the counterhold tool? I still want to sell the engine for parts and don't want to destroy anything.

Thanks,
Lance
4thbugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 12:45   #70
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thbugTDI View Post
I need to remove my injector from my 2000 NB parts car(ie, head already removed). Is there a way I can get it off without buy the counterhold tool? I still want to sell the engine for parts and don't want to destroy anything.

Thanks,
Lance
To remove injectors I use a crow foot wrench.
2008 A6 BPP 283kmh - 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH 150mph, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy, Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, Hidden Hitch, LED tails, Koni Reds, Depo
eddie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2019, 18:02   #71
arne487
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 62.4 max, 53 avg

If you're not putting a timing belt back on then just take the pump off and leave it. No need to worry about crank/cam position if you're scavenging parts. Just don't put the car in gear and roll it around if there's no timing belt on it.

Edit: I just reread you don't have a head on the engine. No risk of damage if there aren't any valves! Just take off whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thbugTDI View Post

Thanks,
Lance

Last edited by arne487; January 11th, 2019 at 18:04.
arne487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 20:02   #72
Lock_t
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s

so swapping IPs doesn't need VC removal, do you HAVE to take cam sprocket off or even vacuum pump off? theoretically wouldn't you be able to loosen the tensioner, pull the belt, keep an eye on TDC mark on flywheel and just swap pumps being that you have the pump locked at TDC? or am i missing something crucial?
Lock_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 20:47   #73
oldpoopie

Why don’t you try that out and let us know how it works out...

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 22:44   #74
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock_t View Post
so swapping IPs doesn't need VC removal, do you HAVE to take cam sprocket off or even vacuum pump off? theoretically wouldn't you be able to loosen the tensioner, pull the belt, keep an eye on TDC mark on flywheel and just swap pumps being that you have the pump locked at TDC? or am i missing something crucial?

Have you done a timing belt on an ALH?

Consult the timing belt procedure for further info. http://pics3.tdiclub.com/articles/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 04:29   #75
Lock_t
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: mid 40s

Not yet I've been reading into it though. I'm just talking about IP swap though, I mean I realize cam would need to be locked but otherwise I was more or less curious
Lock_t is offline   Reply With Quote