www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 15:46   #31
Keithuk

I see someone has made a pdf for this so you can save it.

http://omahabiofuelscoop.org/references/alh-ip.pdf

Keithuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2011, 16:13   #32
dgoldsmith
Veteran Member

Anyone happen to know how similar the procedure is for the B5 (i.e., '05 Passat wagon)? Or know of a relevant replacement how-to? Thanks!

Last edited by dgoldsmith; June 26th, 2011 at 16:28.
dgoldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 14:54   #33
kenmaira
Veteran Member

Anybody know the washers part no.?
Old October 29th, 2011, 03:19   #34
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmaira View Post
Anybody know the washers part no.?
I assume you mean the copper washers. They come with the re-manufactured or new IP. Alternatively, if you have the old washers then your best bet is to take them to an auto store (e.g., AutoZone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto, etc.) and get replacements at the same size. I've done this several times for copper washers. You will not find copper washers at a home improvement store, though perhaps at a local hardware store.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
1970 VW Type 3 Squareback - Cobalt Blue (Birdie)
rocketeer928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:05   #35
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Please note that Posts 1 - 8 of this thread are copyrighted via a Creative Commons 3.0 BY-NC-SA license.

The PDF created by MrErlo at Post Nr. 24 will also be copyrighted. It was his wise suggestion to do this because about 50 people per month have been downloading it pretty consistently for the past year, and there are some document scraping sites that are starting to strip the PDF away from TDIClub, and from the Omaha Biofuels Coop servers where the PDF has been hosted.

2003 Jetta GLS TDI with RocketChip RC5-ASV-Euro tune specific to my performance modifications - Platinum Gray

yo
Old December 29th, 2011, 06:39   #36
archie

TDI(s): 2002 Beetle
Default troublshooting 2001 1.9 TDI Jetta

I have a 2001 1.9 TDI Jetta in the garage. It died when the guy was driving. I have good fuel going in and out of pump. All timing marks are good, compression is very good. I have injection coming out of the injectors. My question is .......Can the hub on the injection pump have turn? ( The customer ran the car with gas for about 20km 1 month prior to this break down.)

Thank you

Archie
archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 08:35   #37
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

It would probably be best to put your question as a new thread in the TDI101 forum to get answers.

yo
Old February 27th, 2012, 19:32   #38
Bebuxa

my timming is 80, i have to slow?
Bebuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:44   #39
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebuxa View Post
my timming is 80, i have to slow?
Your timing is likely retarded, and thus needs adjustment as described above. Rotate the center hub (shaft) slightly clockwise, which will advance the timing.

yo
Old March 2nd, 2012, 19:59   #40
syntrix
Veteran Member

Working on this slowly with a 500000+ 2001.

I can't get the timing belt off the injection pump sprocket (edit it's loose, belt is off , but cant clear the following:, the acc belt tensioner is in the way (yours is pictured). Figured I'd ask if it's a really tight fit before getting back into it tomorrow and pulling the acc belt tensioner.

Tensioner is all the way back. Everything is aligned and now un-pinned. Don't know what else to say. Oh, the belt is off the cam sprocket (marked some points before removing just in case), just can't clear it without it seeming like it would cause some stress on the timing belt.

edit: nevermind... wiggle wiggle wiggle with the belt still looped over the sprocket. yay

Last edited by syntrix; March 3rd, 2012 at 10:35.
syntrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2012, 15:32   #41
rocketeer928
Veteran Member

I'm glad you figured it out, syntrix, as I didn't see your post until now.

yo
Old March 3rd, 2012, 16:55   #42
syntrix
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketeer928 View Post
I'm glad you figured it out, syntrix, as I didn't see your post until now.

Thank you! I've done a ton of 1.8T's, 2.0's, etc....

BTW answer my question here in 101 on the pump gaskets, not o-rings.

I got a leak out of the gasket area, not o-ringed!

Great writeup btw!
Old March 5th, 2012, 17:12   #43
syntrix
Veteran Member

I put paint marks on the timing belt and the cam pulley and the injection pump pulley, aka 1.8T style.

I was able to put the injector pump pulley on easily using the mark, with the cam locked, and then verifying the flywheel mark in the tranny. This helped since I didn't have to pull the cam sprocket.

However, I started to panic when a full rotation didn't align the marks, another rotation, no alignment... It appears that the timing belt is not static to the pulleys. I did about 6 rotations of the cam, then verified everything. It's all in check, but the paint marks are off by about 5-6 teeth for some reason....

Don't know why, but it's all in check after those rotations... very unlike the bazillion 1.8T jobs I have done. This is just a new project tdi that I traded for, so let's hope it's working as intended
Old March 6th, 2012, 00:33   #44
eddie_1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntrix View Post
It appears that the timing belt is not static to the pulleys.
Exactly right. The pulleys (except for crank) have to be loose on their axes so they can do their thing (move back and forth) as the belt is tensioned, whilst the engine is locked down. That is essentially the heart of the tdi job.
2008 A6 BPP 283kmh - 2003 Jetta Wagon ALH 150mph, 170WHP Smoke free German Map, VNT 17/22, 11mm IP, 02M DRW 6speed, OMI, Lower IC pipes,FMIC, PD Lift Pump, 3bar map, ARL Sachs Upgraded/DMF, PP764s, CCV Filter, EGR delete, PD150 Intake, PD150 SRP, 2.5" DP with Magnaflow Cat & 2.5" Catback, R32 DSG Snorkel, PD150 Airbox/MAF, Custom Accordian, Ventectomy, Rear Fog, Euroswitch, 5 brake light mod, McNally EGT/Boost Gague, Scanguage II, Hidden Hitch, LED tails, Koni Reds, Depo
eddie_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:42   #45
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

with all that time you spent with painting marks and turning it over, you could have just popped the cam gear off and done it right LOL... Seriously it only takes 10 minutes to remove the valve cover and vacuum pump to put the cam lock tool in...