www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 28th, 2008, 20:13   #16
TechWorlds
Veteran Member

Thanks bro!

I don't know an A5 from an AK47. This helps out us noobs.
Old November 28th, 2008, 20:43   #17
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

And yet, here we now are in the A5 section. Go figger.

When I grow up, I wanna be a moderator.
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
WeatherTech deflectors, Dieselgeek skid plate (both A+)
My other diesel gets 120 MPG (minutes per gallon): Kubota 2630 w/ FEL
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
DoctorDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 13:40   #18
newbury
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvance
Excellent work Dr. Bob! I agree that this belongs in TDI 101, since newbies don't know an A5 from an A1M1 Abrams.
What's the difference?
They both run on diesel.
They both kick butt.

Anyways back to the topic -
#5 - How far back is it heated? I had a problem at 40 below on my previous diesel VW that was only solved by kerosene. I filled up in a warm area and drove to the cold area, but only used about a gallon of the warm area D2.
#6 - if it's labeled ULSD shouldn't trucker fuel be fine? As long as you can get it in.
#15 (maybe) - could you add the links to the two excellent break-in procedures on this board in here.

Great thread and post Dr. D.
newbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 14:09   #19
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbury
#5 - How far back is it heated?
Sorry, I don't know. Anyone?

Quote:
#6 - if it's labeled ULSD shouldn't trucker fuel be fine? As long as you can get it in.
Yep, its the same fuel. I was only talking about nozzles.

Quote:
#15 (maybe) - could you add the links to the two excellent break-in procedures on this board in here.
I did consider doing that, but two issues stayed my hand: (1) Its not an '09-specific issue, and (2) I don't personally believe in the usefulness of special break-in driving procedures. (Just IMHO...no one need tell me how wrong I am, I already know that almost nobody agrees with me here; I'm good with that).
2009 Jetta TDI (Loyal Edition, Campi White, DSG, #1470, built 5/08): 56K miles and zero problems 1/16/2011.
My other other diesel I don't even want to talk about (1995 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4)
Old December 1st, 2008, 09:25   #20
bigdieseltruck

TDI(s): N/A

This may be common knowledge or not, but how well does the factory fuel filter in this new CRD 2.0L filter particles down to?

This has been a big problem with the 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Common Rail systems. Dodge used a 10 micron at first and people were getting failing injectors with bad batches of fuel, then they switched to using 7 micron filters. Being that I want to keep my high pressure pump, rail, and injectors as clean and particle free as possible, I also run an aux. 2 micron filter after the 7 micron stock one.

I hope that VW takes filtering on a high pressure common rail system seriously. Small particles 5-10microns in size can cause serious damage when fired at 20-29,000psi through modern injectors over time. I also don't want to leave the fate of my engine in the hands of the fuel distributors and gas stations, with their sometimes sub-par filtering. It is the same problem experienced in any high pressure hydraulic system.

Does anyone know about the new fuel filters on this new engine?

Thanks,

Chris

Gone but not forgotten: 2001 Mazda Miata 5MT, 2002 Subaru WRX 5MT
bigdieseltruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 10:57   #21
SBAtdijetta
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Best 51.4mpg, AVG 38+ and climbing

Snip
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenf
More info:
  • The 09 TDI (at least the Sportwagen) uses a midline CECM module which doesn't support fogs or Xenon headlights. Use of fogs requires a special harness with relay that is available from the dealer. All functions will work except the dead bulb detection and perhaps the dash fog light indicator.
-darren
Yes the midline CECM does not support fogs, but It can support HID Xenon headlights, just not in the 100% factory way. It supports the low beams in HID, but not the highs in HID. ie: you don't get to use the HID high beams, your highs would be the H7 halogen beams. The highline CECM allows full function of the xenon Low & Highs, and you can also enable flash to pass, and run all 4 high beams if you wish .
Need help? I have VAG-COM
SBAtdijetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 12:11   #22
darrenf
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBAtdijetta
[..] the midline CECM [..] supports the low beams in HID, but not the highs in HID. ie: you don't get to use the HID high beams, your highs would be the H7 halogen beams.
Thanks for the clarification. That's good to know. Now that I've got the parking light option working in the midline CECM, I think I'm going to abandon my plans to upgrade the CECM and just put in a relay for the fogs. It's good to know that the HIDs will work for low-beams as well.

-darren
darrenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 18:42   #23
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdieseltruck
This may be common knowledge or not, but how well does the factory fuel filter in this new CRD 2.0L filter particles down to? [....] Does anyone know about the new fuel filters on this new engine?
I would guess its too early to tell...hardly anyone has over 12K miles on a 2.0 L CR in the U.S.

That said, I just changed the fuel filter during my first oil change, at 8K mi (I know, I know, waaay earlier than the service schedule calls for...I've just always been in the habit of changing the fuel filter with every oil change on diesels. It sure can't hurt). It was dirty, but not god-awful. So it appears to be doing something. That's not a very good answer to your question -- I'm just sayin'.
Old December 5th, 2008, 14:32   #24
Ram_V

Thank you!!!
Ram_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 15:23   #25
CLN DSL

Can someone post a pic of this "amp under the drivers seat"? Or, does anyone know definatively if the highline in Canada has it?

Also, IF one had a fold flat passenger seat, where would the latch be to release the seat to go flat?

Cheers!
Old December 5th, 2008, 18:06   #26
DoctorDawg
Veteran Member

for pictures of the amp see post #13 in this thread.
Old December 5th, 2008, 20:38   #27
Dark-Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLN DSL
Can someone post a pic of this "amp under the drivers seat"? Or, does anyone know definatively if the highline in Canada has it?

Also, IF one had a fold flat passenger seat, where would the latch be to release the seat to go flat?

Cheers!
no highline in canada has it unless you got loyal, checked mine no amp
Dark-Warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:11   #28
darrenf
Veteran Member

I would suggest making this thread a sticky, at least while people are buying '09s. It would already have avoided several new threads and posts if people were reading it.

-darren
darrenf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 21:22   #29
jvance
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenf
I would suggest making this thread a sticky, at least while people are buying '09s. It would already have avoided several new threads and posts if people were reading it.

-darren
X2 and bump.
jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:52   #30
newbury
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2009 JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorDawg
I would guess its too early to tell...hardly anyone has over 12K miles on a 2.0 L CR in the U.S.

That said, I just changed the fuel filter during my first oil change, at 8K mi (I know, I know, waaay earlier than the service schedule calls for...I've just always been in the habit of changing the fuel filter with every oil change on diesels. It sure can't hurt). It was dirty, but not god-awful. So it appears to be doing something. That's not a very good answer to your question -- I'm just sayin'.
But wouldn't
Quote:
god-awful
indicate it's filtering more?
I'd be more concerned about a clean filter.