Kerma tuner + warranty questions

Cvincent

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Hey all,

I bought a 2015 Jetta TDI S a few months ago (12kmiles) and have installed kerma stage 1+ a month after. Has been awesome and everything but yesterday after driving 100miles, it threw a check engine light. My friend and I checked the code and it's "p226c" which after googling, means turbo issues.

On a side note, i bought the Jetta from a Nissan dealership and bought an extra warranty from them, which turned out to be from a 3rd company. So yesterday I took it to them, and told me to take it to a VW dealership. Which I did, but they were so busy that they can't see it until tomorrow (Monday). They did say that they have worked with that 3rd company warranty.

So what do you guys think should I do here?
- do I reflash it back to stock and take it back to the dealership? - if I reflash it, wouldn't the check engine light go off and they wouldn't be able to check it? Or take it as it is?

I apologize if the tuner questions has been asked a lot, but I can't seem to find a definite answer after researching concerning about tuners and warranty.

Any answers is appreciated.

P.S. brand new member since yesterday so take it easy on me if possible

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
Reflash and don’t say a word

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cvincent

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Thanks for the quick response.

I actually flashed it back to stock last night, but since flashing back, the check engine light went away. So I can't take it to the dealership until it comes back on lol.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
Flash it back drive around see what happens no reason to take to the dealership if it’s off also talk to kerma

Cvincent

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Yeah I emailed Charlie from kerma yesterday, waiting for his response.

Another question though, after flashing it back to stock, can they find out that I have modded it? Or would the ECU will just have a "value" count of how many times the ECU has been flashed? I've read so many information about this, that I don't know what's accurate

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the same question ? Let me no when u find out .

Cvincent

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
I started driving right now and within half a mile the check engine light came on lol. So off I go to the dealership in a bit. I'll let you know how it turns out

Cvincent

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
UPDATE: Dealership called me back today and was puzzled because they don't know why check engine light went on, nothing was wrong with the car (the check engine light supposedly flagged mass airflow sensor, and some water pump or something but they said it was all functioning properly).

If anything, they saw that my car only did 1 of 2 phases of the emission, so they went to go do phase 2 on it lol. So is it safe to say that going back to stock for warranty is okay after tuning it? I'll be picking up my car in the morning and maybe i'll ask about tuning if anything

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Uh, I wouldn't even mention the word "tuning" if I was you.

Going back to stock is fine, the question is how long will you resist the urge to re-tune it?

You may want to confirm with your tuner that the version software you have will continue to function properly given the phase 2 fix.

Again, don't even breathe the word "tune" around your dealer.

Cvincent

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Yeah I have to fight my urge on tuning it back lol. Man I get better mileage and the car is so much fun to drive when it's tuned.

Yeah I spoke to Kerma, and they said when I get the car back, give them the new file and they'll send me a new one.

Concerning not even saying the word tune to the dealership, I read somewhere in the forums that some dealerships are okay with it. But you're right, I'm prolly not gonna say anything at all. The warranty on this babies are so awesome lol

Dubin20th

TDI
2015 Jetta
Even when flashed back to stock, the vehicle can still be flagged as "tuned".

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Stewie72

TDI
11 Jetta Sportwagen
I threw a code a couple of hundred miles after a tune. I was able to clear the code with the Q+pro no issues since.

mchavz484

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI / EA288
I just got the Kerma Stage 1+ tune and it also threw a CEL and a flashing Glow Plug light which went away. Still waiting for a response from Kerma to see what is the issue. I got codes P210000, P210200, P324300

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
They are throttle actuator fault codes.
Maybe you already know that.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
So what does one do reset light and move on?