www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 13th, 2019, 07:51   #16
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

... except that most cars spend most of the time lightly loaded, so it's hardly relevant what full-load operation does.

... and it seems that VW has figured out the calibration on that engine pretty decently, so that it does not have to go into thermal protection mode (rich) very much.

... and if you are driving on the highway, it scarcely matters if you add weight. The aero matters more, and that's not changed by adding passengers.

Different situation with trucks. Some people do tow trailers. The Ecoboosts are quite thirsty when doing that.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 08:10   #17
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

About that time of year when they cut some good deals on the leftover models. I consider it every year.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 08:37   #18
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

That is a nice drivetrain. I've driven it in a couple cars, and aside from the revs hanging on shifts I like it.

But Fuelly data supports my belief that that drivetrain won't get the same FE as an older TDI in daily use. Same as a new, fixed, one? It may come close. And with the fuel price difference the cost per mile may well be similar, if not lower for the 1.4T.

Depends on what you like. From what I read the 1.4T isn't plagued with some of the issues that the 2.0TSI and TFSI engines have, like failing timing tensioners and water pumps. But as more cars build up miles perhaps we'll learn something.

If you like it, great. I still prefer diesel for many reasons.
Old October 13th, 2019, 09:10   #19
03GolfTDI
Veteran Member

I have not driven the 1.4T yet but its specs are pretty impressive, pretty much matches the output of the original 1.8T from back in 1998ish. The reveiws online seem pretty legit.

I drove a 1.8T in a 2015 Jetta SE (180HP) and was not a huge fan of dead response from a get go until the turbo got up to speed, my other half test drove both a Jetta SE 1.8T and the '11 TDI in the signature back to back and felt the 1.8T did not have the same getup and go as the TDI and much preferred the TDI powerband.
'11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG - 52k
Candy White/Beige
03GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 11:59   #20
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged798 View Post
I don't consider the MK5 and newer Jettas to be small cars.
I dunno, mk5 golf seems smaller inside than mk4
and the mk4 chassis is actually a fairly large car itself
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 18:11   #21
Mike_04GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GolfTDI View Post
I drove a 1.8T in a 2015 Jetta SE (180HP) and was not a huge fan of dead response from a get go until the turbo got up to speed, my other half test drove both a Jetta SE 1.8T and the '11 TDI in the signature back to back and felt the 1.8T did not have the same getup and go as the TDI and much preferred the TDI powerband.
I noticed the same thing with the 1.4 tsi. Itís just kind of dead feeling until it hits its power band and then it takes off. Feels weird to a TDI driver.

It is a good engine, but Iím not going to tell VW that itís wonderful and I wouldnít rather have a TDI. Maybe theyíll reintroduce them in the future with a working emissions system.
Old October 13th, 2019, 19:56   #22
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

I've found all of VW's turbo gas engines have noticeable lag. Much more so than TDIs.
Old October 13th, 2019, 21:42   #23
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All good on the motion lotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I've found all of VW's turbo gas engines have noticeable lag. Much more so than TDIs.
Good tune sorts that out pretty quick

The safety and emission parameters in the stock software are pretty invasive when you mash the pedal. All about increasing longevity of engine and keeping EPA happy. You should see the new Audi ttrs, they really dialed down the fierce boost due to the new GPFs they installed to meet new emissions regulations and it's very noticeable.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 04:31   #24
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Also Car & Driver noted that the top gear acceleration in the 1.4T/6-speed manual (in a Golf, not Jetta) was beyond pathetic. Of course you can just downshift, but that's the benefit of a TDI. Don't have to do that.
Old October 14th, 2019, 04:51   #25
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I think that is a decent engine. It is no TDI, and a similar displacement diesel would tag 60+ MPGs (they actually have those, and they actually do). But for the post-Dieselgate wasteland of the USA, if you want a fuel efficient small vehicle your choices are limited, and getting more so by the week it seems.

Volkswagen went too far to one end with the last generation of TDIs in gracing them with lots of power but not any better fuel economy. In other words, the technology was lost to what VoA/VAG thought more Americans wanted. And no doubt the power of the CBEA/CJAA/CKRA/etc. is fantastic, as it happens I drove a customer's 2014 JSW in to work today, and let me tell you, even saddled with the DSG, totally stock this car runs VERY good down the highway. However a lot of us, who drive a lot, and who factor fuel economy pretty high up, would have gladly purchased a ~1.5L CR TDI or even a 3cyl with similar HP to the ALH or BEW and been perfectly happy with that as it would have accompanied that 60+ MPGs. I know I would.

At least the 1.4t is so far proving to be better than the 1.8/2.0 EA888 engines. Every time I think I have seen it all, something new crops up on those turds. We've had several 2015+ cars in here that are burning through oil to the tune of about 1 liter every 800 miles or so. That is ridiculous.
Old October 14th, 2019, 11:16   #26
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
We've had several 2015+ cars in here that are burning through oil to the tune of about 1 liter every 800 miles or so. That is ridiculous.
What, did they install the rings on the pistons upside down again like they did with the 2.0s back in the early MKIV days?
Old October 14th, 2019, 11:36   #27
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

No idea, but of course like all manufacturers, they have an obscene amount of "acceptable" oil consumption, which most of these will fall under, so it isn't necessarily like they are going to do anything about it. There are specific engines that just seem to be abysmally bad, though, and once it starts, it only gets worse and worse, until eventually either the engine gets replaced or the owner/operator learns to use the dipstick frequently. Most of the time the engine blows up though.
Old October 14th, 2019, 12:00   #28
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
5 passengers? There must be a clown convention in town.

4-5 passengers
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 21:37   #29
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: All good on the motion lotion

Good old 2 slow engines, burn as much oil as they do fuel but they just keep on ticking. My step-son has 260k on his ,oil consumption isnt bad at a liter per 10k though
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2019, 22:36   #30
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
I think that is a decent engine. It is no TDI, and a similar displacement diesel would tag 60+ MPGs (they actually have those, and they actually do). But for the post-Dieselgate wasteland of the USA, if you want a fuel efficient small vehicle your choices are limited, and getting more so by the week it seems.
Volkswagen went too far to one end with the last generation of TDIs in gracing them with lots of power but not any better fuel economy. In other words, the technology was lost to what VoA/VAG thought more Americans wanted. And no doubt the power of the CBEA/CJAA/CKRA/etc. is fantastic, as it happens I drove a customer's 2014 JSW in to work today, and let me tell you, even saddled with the DSG, totally stock this car runs VERY good down the highway. However a lot of us, who drive a lot, and who factor fuel economy pretty high up, would have gladly purchased a ~1.5L CR TDI or even a 3cyl with similar HP to the ALH or BEW and been perfectly happy with that as it would have accompanied that 60+ MPGs. I know I would.
At least the 1.4t is so far proving to be better than the 1.8/2.0 EA888 engines. Every time I think I have seen it all, something new crops up on those turds. We've had several 2015+ cars in here that are burning through oil to the tune of about 1 liter every 800 miles or so. That is ridiculous.
I definitely keep eyeballing what the 1.6 CR TDIs do in Europe and so wish we could get those here. The fuel economy those get, even in a Mk7 Golf, is nuts.

The 1.4TSI looks more solid than the EA888s because it's not one. lol! It has a timing belt, for one. Which seems to be more reliable than VAG timing chains, sadly.

Also doesn't have that flimsy barely bonded together rear main seal.... or crappy monstrosity of a water pump assembly that will inevitably puke all the engine's coolant out in a matter of seconds without warning. Wonder if it will suffer from the TSI floppy wastegate syndrome as it ages?