www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 25th, 2019, 07:33   #1
ricohman

Default Demulsifier additive?

It's starting to freeze in the morning and that got me thinking about additives for the winter.
On my Ford 6.7's I have only used the Ford additive which is a demulsifier/cetane boost and anti gel.
Since VW does not recommend an additive, and the filter housing has no drain, is anyone finding any moisture in the housing during the winter?
ricohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 09:27   #2
hskrdu
Veteran Member

This thread only has a few posts which speak directly to your question, but you may find it interesting IRT emulsifiers/demulsifiers, and water in the fuel, etc. It's one of the better threads about additives.

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=293700
Old September 26th, 2019, 07:12   #3
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Power Service winter formula (in the white bottle) has all of that.

I've never seen any water/frost/ice in the filter canister during winter.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2019, 07:26   #4
crashtested
Veteran Member

+1 for PS!!

I've used a shot of PS every fuel up for this '14, our old '10 and my MKIV.
Old September 29th, 2019, 20:46   #5
ewdysar

My primary reason for using a DFA is to increase the lubricity of the ULSD formulas available in the US. In SoCal, the weather doesn’t get cold enough to warrant antigel, but believe that most additives with antigel can be expected to work to the temperatures in their specifications. I haven’t had any issues related to water in the fuel in any of my diesel vehicles, and a cetane boost doesn’t hurt, but has been imperceptible in my experience.

I use Opti-lube Summer+ or XPD hoping to delay any IP or HPFP failure as long as possible. It has worked so far....

Last edited by ewdysar; September 29th, 2019 at 20:48.
ewdysar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:28   #6
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdysar View Post
My primary reason for using a DFA is to increase the lubricity of the ULSD formulas available in the US. In SoCal, the weather doesn’t get cold enough to warrant antigel, but believe that most additives with antigel can be expected to work to the temperatures in their specifications. I haven’t had any issues related to water in the fuel in any of my diesel vehicles, and a cetane boost doesn’t hurt, but has been imperceptible in my experience. I use Opti-lube Summer+ or XPD hoping to delay any IP or HPFP failure as long as possible. It has worked so far....
Members who use additives generally do so to address lubricity, cetane, or water in the fuel. Cold climate owners often use anti-gel when temps dip low, which obviously isn't a significant concern in SoCal. Why then do I use PS white (winter) all year round (which includes the last year in San Diego County and Twentynine Palms)? Because in addition to improving lubricity and boosting cetane, PS addresses my primary concern, which is water. Although the ALH fuel filter has a water drain (somewhat questionable in effectiveness), the CRUA does not. I won't speak to methods of treating fuel, as we have many good threads which do so (including the thread I linked above), but I specifically prefer PS over a demulsifier like Opti-lube, as I want to avoid free water from forming in the system. From reading threads over the years, your 2014 isn't likely to show the effects of water in the fuel until there's an opportunity for inspection (which may never happen depending on how long you keep the car), or it may be less of a concern in SoCal compared to other areas, but if I owned a CJAA and was concerned about the HPFP, I'd want to address water as well as cetane.
Old October 4th, 2019, 08:56   #7
PRY4SNO
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Impressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrdu View Post
Members who use additives generally do so to address lubricity, cetane, or water in the fuel. Cold climate owners often use anti-gel when temps dip low, which obviously isn't a significant concern in SoCal. Why then do I use PS white (winter) all year round (which includes the last year in San Diego County and Twentynine Palms)? Because in addition to improving lubricity and boosting cetane, PS addresses my primary concern, which is water. Although the ALH fuel filter has a water drain (somewhat questionable in effectiveness), the CRUA does not. I won't speak to methods of treating fuel, as we have many good threads which do so (including the thread I linked above), but I specifically prefer PS over a demulsifier like Opti-lube, as I want to avoid free water from forming in the system. From reading threads over the years, your 2014 isn't likely to show the effects of water in the fuel until there's an opportunity for inspection (which may never happen depending on how long you keep the car), or it may be less of a concern in SoCal compared to other areas, but if I owned a CJAA and was concerned about the HPFP, I'd want to address water as well as cetane.

You've done a great job of explaining exactly why I've been considering using the winter blend of PS all year long. All it would take is one bad batch of fuel and my 335k km CP4 pump would be toast, not to mention the collateral damage. I view the additive as cheap insurance more than anything.

- 1992 Audi 80q 20v: the 20vt winter sled (long term project)
- 1990 Audi Cq 20v: #becauseracecar
PRY4SNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2019, 17:48   #8
ricohman

Lots of great suggestions.
Now how do you add it? The factory filler needs something the width of a diesel nozzle to even open the filler neck.
Old October 12th, 2019, 18:21   #9
ss_mini14

ABN Oil Change Syringe Brake... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RRDP1CR...p_mob_ap_share
ss_mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2019, 09:29   #10
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohman View Post
Lots of great suggestions.
Now how do you add it? The factory filler needs something the width of a diesel nozzle to even open the filler neck.
Generally, owners are only using a few ounces of additive, which (for our MK7) flows past the misfueling guard into the tank. If that doesn't work on your car, a fuel adapter will do the trick. It's good to have one in the trunk anyway, just in case.

https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fueli...er-p-2418.html

Last edited by hskrdu; October 13th, 2019 at 09:31.
hskrdu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2019, 14:02   #11
ricohman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskrdu View Post
Generally, owners are only using a few ounces of additive, which (for our MK7) flows past the misfueling guard into the tank. If that doesn't work on your car, a fuel adapter will do the trick. It's good to have one in the trunk anyway, just in case.

https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fueli...er-p-2418.html
Just pour it over the closed fill gate flap and it will seep by?
Old October 14th, 2019, 18:10   #12
hskrdu
Veteran Member

Quote:

I use a funnel, but that's also because I've always kept little one in a ziplock in the back of the car since the MkIV days, and I'm often dosing 3-4 cars at a time. The misfueling guard doesn't seal off the fuel neck (at least on our Mk7's), and if I raise the funnel up, the additive flows from the funnel neck right down past the plastic tabs. The fueling adapter will actually open up the misfueling guard tabs, and allow you to flow additive further into the neck of the tank, which is likely a superior method. If you dose prior to a fill-up, the D2 will sweep any additive into the tank.
Old October 15th, 2019, 12:56   #13
ZippyNH
Veteran Member

Quote:
I just hold the funnel against the guard.....it drips right by in a few seconds.
+1 I use PS white, all year too.