Wheel bearing / cv info

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
Hey guys, just developed some noises in the front end of my 02 jetta.

Had some clicking when turning at low speeds a couple times, so I will be replacing the drive shafts - already have 2 OEM's

Also noted that when coasting in neutral and in gear at low speed there is a noise I'd describe as a sweeping noise, like sweep sweep sweep.... (like sweeping the ground with a broom) this is speed dependent. The slower the speed the slower the sweep noise l, faster I go, the faster the sweeping noise.

Also, getting some grinding when turning right, but nothing when turning left. So I'm guessing a wheel bearing also?

If I do the bearing, what one should I get? It has gti spindles and brakes installed.

Also guessing the throwout bearing is worn. When stationary with clutch out, grinding.. Clutch in, silence

The guy who I got the car from advised me the wheel bearings, hubs and ball joints, clutch fork, throw out bearing done at 180k - I'm at 289k now, so I guess it could be worn by now

right now it’s got 11.3” rotors on the front with GTI Spindles

Looks like inhabe a couple days work ahead of me

ahldailydriver02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta 5 speed, 03 Jetta Wagon 5 speed
The sweeping noise could be your rotors rubbing across your brake pads. Jack up the front end and spin the wheel as fast as you can by hand and see if you can hear that same sweeping noise, and check the dust covers too, maybe one of them is bent inward towards your rotor and that could be making the noise too. While you are there see if you can wiggle the wheel with both of your hands at 3 & 9 or 12 & 6 to check the wheel bearing. If your wheel bearing is bad I have always had good luck with OEM or FAG from IDparts.

Is it grinding or chattering when in neutral? What kind of clutch does it have? Could be the throw out bearing, your clutch could also be dragging and about to go out too, how does it shift?

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
The sweeping noise could be your rotors rubbing across your brake pads. Jack up the front end and spin the wheel as fast as you can by hand and see if you can hear that same sweeping noise, and check the dust covers too, maybe one of them is bent inward towards your rotor and that could be making the noise too. While you are there see if you can wiggle the wheel with both of your hands at 3 & 9 or 12 & 6 to check the wheel bearing. If your wheel bearing is bad I have always had good luck with OEM or FAG from IDparts.

Is it grinding or chattering when in neutral? What kind of clutch does it have? Could be the throw out bearing, your clutch could also be dragging and about to go out too, how does it shift?
Hey! Well I finally got around to getting in there and had the wheels off.. No movement what so ever, but I need see some grease on one of the ribs. Couldn't see the source. But when I grabbed hold
of it, there was a bit of play

Then today I had the air box off to test fit some parts and I look down and see the inner cv boot was torn.

Did some resesrch.. And the outer is likely to cause the clicking m tapping noise on turns. And the inner will cause the shudder I get under acceleration.

Gonna buy an oem shaft to replace it. I know a guy who is willing to help me out with the price.

Will update once I've swapped it out.

Pic below.

Last edited:

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
New tires seemed to fix the sweeping noise. Apparently the old ones were a little cupped.

I bow confirmed that the gearbox noise has been there since the vr/g60 swap so I'm satisfied is just the single mass flywheel.

Oem vw shaft with buddy rates are rediculous. Raxles are just as bad once you include shipping and us/ cad conversion.

Gonna get the budget axle from vw. See how that goes. It's $100 and they come with a one year warranty. Will update and fix that photo

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can't see the tree for the forest (pics), but in some cases, depending on condition, you can swap the joints side to side, on a manual transmission.