www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 8th, 2019, 16:40   #1
Diesel_Man

Default Glow plug harness help

Changing out my glow plug harness. I am a little confused as to which wires I need to cut. I think I know, but need confirmation.

It looks like wire 7, 8, 9, and 10. There is one wire, red on black that is in the no. 2 spot that looks like the one at no. 7...........

Help

Diesel Man........
Diesel_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 11:08   #2
steve6
Veteran Member

ya sorry, only for late alh's :|

Last edited by steve6; October 9th, 2019 at 11:18.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 11:15   #3
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That only applies to late ALHs, he has a BEW.

The four glow plug wires are all black, but with a colored tracer. Red, blue, yellow, and green IIRC (I do not have one in front of me). You just splice into the engine harness wherever it is convenient to make a good connection. I only use the specified heat shrink crimp tube connectors (the dealers sell these, but they are widely available elsewhere). You should use the correct tool for proper installation. I use a ratcheting type, works great. And of course a heat gun to seal them up. The cheapo wire crimpers do not work.

I usually just splice in right near the fuel temp sensor, where those wires come out of the harness. But if yours has been previously worked on and there is simply not enough left to attach to, you'll need to pull out some of the harness to gain clearance, and unwrap some of it to expose these wires. The new bridge gives you plenty to deal with on that end. You can even go all the way to the glow control unit in the cowl if you really have to, and make your own overlay harness, and tuck it in alongside the main harness.
Old October 9th, 2019, 12:30   #4
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> You can even go all the way to the glow control unit in the cowl if you really have to, and make your own overlay harness, and tuck it in alongside the main harness.
If you're up to pulling the battery and the air box, this would be the best repair. When I did my '99.5, they had to be spliced.
Repeat- Cheap crimp tools don't work good.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 19:06   #5
joep1234
Veteran Member

My son found me a near new one at a pick a part in Greensboro a month ago. He matched the wires with the tracers and it worked fine. He also got a set of good BEW injectors and tandem pump off the engine. Sad thing was the car was in good shape and ended up at the junk yard because the tandem pump went bad and the previous owner gave up on it.
Old October 9th, 2019, 20:46   #6
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joep1234 View Post
My son found me a near new one at a pick a part in Greensboro a month ago. He matched the wires with the tracers and it worked fine.
The problem with my harness was the terminals that plug into the glow plugs were a loose connection.

Not sure if the BEW has similar or if it has the newer ones that VW upgraded the ALH harness to.

Can't go by looks.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:38   #7
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

There is a simple metal connect inside the boot, simply squeeze the thing so it fits tight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joep1234 View Post
My son found me a near new one at a pick a part in Greensboro a month ago. He matched the wires with the tracers and it worked fine. He also got a set of good BEW injectors and tandem pump off the engine. Sad thing was the car was in good shape and ended up at the junk yard because the tandem pump went bad and the previous owner gave up on it.
Never owned a PD, but I read a lot of threads. The PD is a very misunderstood platform.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 09:38   #8
wonneber
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnOH View Post
There is a simple metal connect inside the boot, simply squeeze the thing so it fits tight.
Tried that a few times on mine a few times when it was out of warranty.
Still got a CEL a few times.
New harness helped, never got the code again.
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote