Bora inlet pipe fix?

Conor3125

TDI
Volkswagen bora 1.9 tdi
Have a 05 vw bora , the 130/150 bhp inlet pipe the reducer from the air intake to the turbo intake keeps ripping on mine ,(I’m on my 3rd) basically there’s a big slit being ripped in the side of the reducer, Has anyone came across this issue when running more power ? Is there anything I can do to fix this or basically get me longer than a couple hours from the silicone reducer

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Not sure which pipe you're talking about, a pic would help,
but anything silicone would be aftermarket. The stock clean air tract
is big enough (suitable) for the 130/150 bhp you're doing.
But really show a pic since we have no way of diagnosing an unknown
non-stock part.

Drewmeister

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I think you're referring to this (1K0129627B), right? (Part number is for PD100 BEW, may be different for yours.) I think it's around 70mm on the intake side and 55 on the turbo side.

I had to replace mine because someone put a hose clamp (worm gear drive) on the turbo side and it ripped through. That reminds me, I need to order some of those remote cable-operated hose clamp pliers (for spring clamps) so I'll be able to install/remove the factory spring clamp there. When I reinstalled it, I put the worm gear clamp back on, but didn't tighten the clamp as much, to avoid ripping my new part.

It has slipped off ~1cm or so, but would have to move at least 2cm more to come off the turbo, and takes a good deal of force to move, so I'm not too worried. Are you running big boost? You wouldn't expect that to affect the intake side of the turbo, but I found another thread where the speculation was that when you let off the throttle and the vanes open, it may dump some pressure back into the intake.

Also, make sure the plastic intake pipe upstream of this is properly fastened. I think there's one bolt on top and on the side of the engine...

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
For many applications, spring clamps are superior, especially where dissimilar materials are exposed to large temperature variation. Cable operated hose clamp pliers was one of the first tools I needed when I went TDI.