www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old October 7th, 2019, 18:41   #16
Ed27

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
Any other info, does the dash all light up properly?

Car would still crank if 109 was bad. Make sure you've hooked up the big ground that goes to the top bell housing bolt.

Check the signal on the back of the starter, in 'start' position it should have power (12v). If its getting power, your starter is bad. If you're not getting signal then check your clutch signal switch, to make the starter turn its very basic on these cars.
Steve6
All dash lights come on. Just no crank. I've checked the grounds twice but will clean and reassemble tomorrow. Also, did a continuity check on my clutch switch it was good. Where would the 109 be located?
Ed27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 18:52   #17
Ed27

NeroMorg,
Checked clutch switch then did a check. It was good.
Old October 7th, 2019, 18:57   #18
Ed27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
It doesn't, it has to do with the other issue if not getting 3rd and 5th...

I can't see how your post has anything to do with crank no start either

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WC80

Just trying to give accurate details so everyone can give me their view of what it might be. Two different problems and perhaps someone might help with either.
Old October 7th, 2019, 19:03   #19
Ed27

Wonnerber,
All lights are bright when I try to start it. Tried jumping the starter--no engage. I'll see if the lights dim when I try it again tomorrow.
Old October 7th, 2019, 19:03   #20
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed27 View Post
WC80

Just trying to give accurate details so everyone can give me their view of what it might be. Two different problems and perhaps someone might help with either.
That's why I posted it...then got flamed for...hence my reply.

It wasn't directed at you.

I was just adding insight from a past experience I had that may relate to the least important problem you have at the moment. If it don't run, shifting isn't that big of a deal.

When you were putting the starter on did the lug rotate as you tightened it? I had a brand new Bosch that I ruined by doing just that. Take your test light or voltmeter and see if you're getting voltage at the trigger plug that plugs into the starter. Also you can bypass the 109 if you think it's bad, use a jumper wire...

I keep one in the car, thought I had a bad 109 relay, turned out to the the circuit breaker upstream, my gauges were hooked to the circuit and tripped it right in the middle of an intersection, used the jumper wire to get it home after it sat for a while.

WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 19:10   #21
Ed27

WC80,
I appreciate your and eveyone's posts because I need the experiences and knowledge you share here on the forum. I'm new to VWs/TDIs and enjoy their durability and MPG savings and want to keep them running if able. Thanks again to all the help!
Old October 7th, 2019, 19:13   #22
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed27 View Post
WC80,
I appreciate your and eveyone's posts because I need the experiences and knowledge you share here on the forum. I'm new to VWs/TDIs and enjoy their durability and MPG savings and want to keep them running if able. Thanks again to all the help!
You certainly can and you're certainly in the right place, I apologise for spewing nonsense when you're trying to get this thing running.

The learning curve is steep but they're fun cars and the comparison of these cars and Chuck Norris is fitting.

WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 11:21   #23
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

If you have no crank then either:

1. The solenoid is not getting power. Small wire on the starter. Disconnect, hit switch with test light on it, if it doesn't light trace the wiring backward (this can also be the clutch switch ,etc.)

2. If the solenoid has power (look for +12V while attempting to crank, so it's under load) but does not pull in it's bad. If it won't pull in the contacts won't close and the motor won't go.

3. If it pulls in then check for +12V on the motor when it does. If it's not there then the contacts in the solenoid are bad (or the fat "ribbon cable" is.)

4. If the motor terminal has +12V when the solenoid is in then the motor ITSELF is bad, there is no ground from the engine back to the negative battery terminal or the engine is prohibited from turning (e.g. locked alternator, etc.) This one, however, should result in a very material (e.g. +10V instead of 12V, etc) drawdown of the voltage on that terminal AND you should hear the solenoid engage and the starting motor attempt to turn. When that happens it's usually quite obvious, and can be eliminated by hand-rotating the crank bolt on the other end clockwise a bit -- if you can turn it with a wrench the starting motor can definitely turn it.

Be careful working around the starter -- the primary (+12V to the motor) feed is effectively unfused and your tools will become a fuse if you short to ground. You will NOT like what happens if that occurs.
Genesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 07:09   #24
Ed27

UPDATE!!!!
It was the starter solenoid plug is either bad or not making a connection. I got it started by using a jump wire from plug to solenoid blade. I would like to thank everyone for their advice and help! Now I'll start a new thread with the shift problems if I cannot figure it out.