www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old September 21st, 2019, 16:06   #1
Bigleondriver

Default White smoke at idle after injector nozzle installation

I have been noticing that my 110 non pd leon has been putting out white smoke at idle , since I done the nozzles, I'm unsure what this could be, is it because of unburnt fuel or could this be a damaged turbo, as I'm also getting a p0324 turbo overboost engine code when I go over 100 mph. Want to find if I'm doing damage to my car and how I could prevent this.
Bigleondriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 16:47   #2
Carlos_TJ
Veteran Member

Does the white smoke smell strongly smells like diesel?
If yes you may have an overfuel condition. What are the derails on those nozzles? Rebuilt? Bigger?
Carlos_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 20:03   #3
KLXD
Veteran Member

Were they quality name brand nozzles?

Were the injectors properly calibrated after the the new nozzles were installed?

Was the timing checked?

Was the IQ reset?

Seems to me smoking at idle on a warmed up engine would not be overfueling. Too much fuel would increase the speed to which the ECU would respond by decreasing fuel to maintain the programmed idle.

Current: 02 Jetta, Auto; 98 Jetta, 5 Spd; 98 Dodge, 5 Spd, SB, 4x4; 84 Grand Wagoneer with Nissan SD33T, NV4500, Dana 300, Reverse Cut Dana 44, Dana 60

The Black Sheep (Only gasser): 85 CJ, 4.2 w/4.0 Head and Mopar FI.

Past: 85 Mitsubishi PU, 4D55T; 81 Rabbit, 1.6; 80 Dasher, 1.5; 79 Rabbit, 1.5
KLXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 22:46   #4
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Seeing as you diy the nozzles, you need to have a trusted tdi mechanic do a pop test and tune on them with a Bosch flow machine. Many have tried to diy them, some have had success but all of them were incorrect and the (good enough) approach was taken way to far.
In extreem cases you can hydro lock the engine with fuel or even worse, burn a hole strait through the piston and into the block, or just melt the turbo and warp the head with extreem high EGTs
Chances are slim that it could happen to you but if it did, it wont be the first time its happend from a diy nozzle swap.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 23:02   #5
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

You should post this on the MkIV section of this site.
At least provide all the other details about this TDI's problem.
Old September 28th, 2019, 12:25   #6
Diesl
Veteran Member

White smoke = water, no? Blown head gasket, or other water leak?
Old October 1st, 2019, 08:12   #7
Giberish33
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesl View Post
White smoke = water, no? Blown head gasket, or other water leak?
From what I have read, white smoke is usually a stuck open injector. Not exactly sure how you get white smoke from over-fueling when that usually generates black smoke, at speed at least.
Giberish33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 08:23   #8
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

If the fuel does not burn at all, or the fuel is not sprayed properly, it will not burn. Both black smoke and white smoke are both symptoms of poor fuel injection black smoke is a lack of air to burn it.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 22:45   #9
fatmobile

Air in the fuel line going into the pump will cause white smoke.
Retarded timing?
Pissing injector?
fatmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2019, 06:43   #10
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

White smoke from a cold engine can mean one of three things. If it smells like oil, you may have wear on the valve stem seals. This allows a small amount of oil to seep past the seals and into the cylinder, which then burns on engine start up. It usually only lasts a short period of time.

Another source of white smoke is that which smells like diesel and is indicative of incompletely burned fuel due to a cold engine. It clears up as soon as the engine warms up. Sometimes it may also be caused by lower compression due to some other problem such as incorrectly installed glow plug(s) or compression loss due to cylinder or piston ring wear, or valve sealing problems. I have experienced glow plug installation problems, and that one cleared up in a few minutes after the plug warmed up and lengthened enough due to the heat to seal itself against the seat. Compression losses due to ring or cylinder wear or valve problems might not seal at all - I don't have experience with these troubles.

White smoke that smells like coolant may indicate a head gasket problem. You may have this problem accompanied by oil in the coolant, and certainly exhaust gasses in the coolant. While a coolant cloud would dissipate more quickly than oil or unburned fuel, if it were due to a head gasket failure it probably wouldn't stop as the engine warmed up.

Massive over injection due to a nozzle or injector failure will result in possibly white smoke at first, but as the engine warms a bit, you should see black smoke when the fuel tries to burn, is not held back by cold temperatures, but forms soot because of a lack of sufficient air for the fuel getting injected.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote