Replacing PD Camshaft Position Sensor

Gttdigonewrong

TDI
gttdi 170
Has anyone ever solved this problem with cam sensor fault. My 2007 gt tdi has been in 2 different garages now and not fixed in 2 years. Sam fault code as cam shaft sensor.
It’s had:
New ecu 3 times in 2 years
Cam Belt and pulley etc..
Fuel pump
New wiring loom
New cam and crank sensor
Tried all the earths around the whole car
Still not running any help?????

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Check engine harness for damage... particularly on top of the starter area but anywhere really where it is enclosed in corrugated loom

Mawcus

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI BEW PD 5 Speed
I have the long start implausible signal on the cam sensor on a 2008 BEW. I have replaced the sensor & the starting is identical if I unplug the sensor so I think I have a wiring fault. Can anyone tell me the where the 3 wires go to? what are the ECU pin nos?
Thanks.
Check the cable from the alternator to the battery and make sure all your battery connections are tight and dont wiggle.
This might help to
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4234028&postcount=1
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=444620
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=245327 Post #5
It could also be a bad “new” cam sensor. I was getting a cam sensor code. Intermittent-no signal so i replaced it with a new one from a reputable vendor. It failed within a year or two. After chasing around other long start problems and replacing a lot of sh$t i probably didnt need to I reinstalled the original cam sensor and the starting problems went away. I mistakenly replaced a good sensor because the intermittent-no signal fault code i was getting was probably because of a voltage drop between the alternator and battery.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I changed my cam sensor the other day although there were no DTC's or long starting cranks. Getting the new sensor in place and keeping it there to put the bolt back in was very tedious. Took several attempts along with a few breaks. I locked the bolt in the 10mm socket with the finger tip of a disposable glove and had a rag under the work area. Got a new grommet from a dealer.
Since the crank sensor cable was susceptible to heat damage, which I changed last month; I figured the cam sensor could go at any time.

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Compared to my ALH's which almost would start with the heat of my fingers on the key;), the 04 was a long crank starter from day one.
It always started but it usually required a few seconds of cranking and often more. But never enough of an issue to diagnose and fix
I did search the forum and found a TSB for a wire fix in the ECU that addressed long crank times. I bought the repair wire and immediately put it in the glove box.
More recently the car threw a cam position sensor code.
This time I addressed the issue and replaced the CPS.
Pretty straight forward install if you remove anything that could possibly interfere with hands and tools when placing and securing the sensor and if you pull the vac reservoir it makes getting the new rubber plug back in without dropping it into the nether regions of the engine
TOTALLY FIXED. Starts instantly like the ALH's:p

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Welcome back old thread.

Does anyone have a pic of the cam sensor wiring harness where it goes into the ECU?
I know there’s talk about replacing the wires but can you eliminate 100% of the old wire?

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Guess I’ll figure it out.

Starting is getting worse :mad: like it did when I had a brand new bad crank sensor.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The three wires are very fine; more like 22 AWG. One is yellow/black, blue/black, green/black. Are you certain the cam sensor is at fault?

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Are you certain the cam sensor is at fault?
I'm not sure of anything yet.
Codes I have from VCDS are
#1 Camshaft position sensor no signal - intermittent
#2 Oxygen sensor signal to high (rich)
I was planing on replacing the cam and crank sensor wires as much as I can get into the plugs.
Then go from there.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Right now it takes about 5 seconds for the engine to fire with the cam sensor plugged in or unplugged.
Earlier today It took about 10 to 15 seconds to fire (hot engine).
Ground wire is good, yellow/black wire has 12 V and the blue/black has 5 V.

I'm thinking the sensor is bad and not the wiring harness.

Any thoughts?:confused:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I agree with your diagnosis regarding a bad sensor. It lives in a very hot environment.
I would source a new sensor from the dealer since it is not a fun job. I found out the hard way.

five7driver

TDI
2001 Jetta, 2004 Jetta, 2008 Jetta (totaled), 2011 Jetta
Did you have luck with the Beru aftermarket part from ID parts? Seems like most posts here warn that the aftermarket parts are bad and advise to go with the expensive oem part. Are these an improvement?

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Working good so far. Drove the car nearly every day since then. Still doesn’t like hot starts, but I guess that’s the nature of that little monster.
A Malone tune is supposed to take care of that. But I’m trying to figure out what stage to get. Originally planned on stage 4. But that might be pushing the limits on the clutch.

Thelemorf

TDI
Seat altea freetrack 2.0tdi 2007
Old thread, but the best i found so far.

I have similar issues as many others, the car takes alot of cranking to start. Havent gotten around doing anything about it, have just made sure to have a good battery or connected to a charger..

Since i had to remove the intake due to leaking swirl flap thingy I though I might as well check the wiring and maby replace the cps.

The problem I have right now is that when I read in this and other threads ppl seems to be having 12v (or battery voltage) on the sensor input voltage pin, mine has a stable 5v with ignition on or engine running.
The reference signal is 2.xx or 3.xx depending on if i measure ac or dc when the engine is running

Asked the local dealer and they said it can be either 12v or 5v.. But when I check specs on the sensor on autodoc it says its rated 12v.

Does anyone know or know how to figure out if its supposed to be 5 or 12 volt on the input?

Seat altea freetrack 2.0tdi 2007