www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 8th, 2019, 05:03   #1
Lex1517

Default Fueling problem for Newby

Just bought a 2011 Touareg TDI Executive and my very first Diesel. When I try to fuel up, the machine pumps for a gallon or two, then quits. It does this over and over again. Last fill up took me a half hour. Is there some trick or something I'm doing wrong when trying to fill up the car? This has happened each time I try filling. As an elderly female I know nothing about cars so hope you can help me. I love this car and this is the only problem I have. Any suggestions you may have with my fueling problem would be greatly appreciated.
Lex1517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 05:10   #2
KG4BHR

Sounds like a vent may be clogged somewhere between the tank and the filler neck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
KG4BHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 09:43   #3
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Don't use the truckers pump. On a regular diesel pump, use the lowest setting. If there is still an issue, I would suspect some foreign object in the filler tube. My first TDI, '99 Jetta, lost the little flap near the top of the filler tube, but it never caused a problem. If your little flap is gone it may be trapped in a bad spot. Maybe just push it down into the tank with something like a plumbers snake (clean).
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2019, 11:56   #4
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

If the Touareg is like the other cars the fuel nozzle restriction is probably causing the problem. It is possible to remove this whole thing on the other cars and I suspect on yours as well. But it will be up to you to insure you don't put gas in it by mistake as VW will probably void your warranty if you do for removing it.
Old October 9th, 2019, 05:48   #5
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

Look for the pumps that have "Auto Diesel" - these work much better for our cars rather than the large "Truck" pumps.

Other than that - what the other guys said about possible obstructions.
scooperhsd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2019, 06:17   #6
Geordi
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell. But it is really hot here in S. Florida...

I've got the same problem on a Jetta, and it has nothing to do with the restrictor at the top of the neck since I've pulled that, and the problem has not changed.

There is something in the bottom of the fill tube causing the restriction that acts like a weighted gate, it only opens under certain conditions which is really annoying. I don't know yet what it looks like b/c I haven't gotten to take mine apart yet BUT on this road trip I have noticed that I have actually "lost" about 4 gallons of capacity b/c of this problem.

I cannot completely fill the tank b/c it stops several times (usually the first time after about 3 gallons) and there will actually be wet fuel sitting in the fuel neck, then it will suddenly burp BACK TOWARD ME and spill some of that - then it all drains into the tank. This is MOST annoying and wasteful! This happens at BOTH the car pumps and the truck pumps, it is NOT a flow issue. Something is wrong with the venting or the restriction in the tank, and likely the tank will have to be dropped to check this / replace with larger diameter vent tubing.