Installing a FROSTHEATER coolent block heater

30Bones

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
Install went well. Had a friend help which was THE most important part. Super helpful when routing the lines, etc.

Only issue we had was mounting the bracket to the tab on the heater. I think something better could be made to incorporate more than one of the 4 mounting tabs. Little low on coolant, plan to swing by VW tomorrow and have it topped of or buy a gallon of 'freeze.

Mine is a DSG and it had a thermostat I had to remove. I need to email the guy as he is compiling a list of vehicles with and without the tstat.

red golf tdi

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1999.5 Golf Red
Install went well. Had a friend help which was THE most important part. Super helpful when routing the lines, etc.

Only issue we had was mounting the bracket to the tab on the heater. I think something better could be made to incorporate more than one of the 4 mounting tabs. Little low on coolant, plan to swing by VW tomorrow and have it topped of or buy a gallon of 'freeze.

Mine is a DSG and it had a thermostat I had to remove. I need to email the guy as he is compiling a list of vehicles with and without the tstat.
No worries, the heater unit is only a couple of pounds, and the thick stainless steel bracket can handle much more than that! :)

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
More worried about the ears on the heater itself.

They are cast aluminum blocks that trap the nut,and they are fairly thick.... it's not going anywhere. Even if it did the hoses will keep it in place, and at least on the '12 JSW TDI the worst that will happen is it will rub or ride in the driver side lower inter-cooler hose.... no big deal.

'All the worry will not add one day to your life.'

Elladara

TDI
2012 JSW
Installed mine this past week. It also took me about 7-8 hours with running to the store to buy tools and hose clamps.

I also made my own extension cord which is only about 7 feet long as I plan in installing a outlet right next to the car in my garage.

I installed the receptacle right where the fog light would go. It looks great!

The only "bad" thing is that we've only had 1 cold day since I installed it! We are getting into the 60s here.

Anyway so far works great.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Well I had a leak. Low coolant light went on a month or two ago. It was low so I added a little. Well a last week I saw a puddle and the fluid was low again. The upper clamp on the heater was loose, but they were all loose to some degree. Installed it about October, so it has been installed 5 months. 1/4 drive, 1/4" socket, universal, extensions is a must.

Up on the ramps.

Used a mirror on chair to take the pucker factor up driving up these bad boys blind. It helped a lot, recommend.

This is not good. It is pink orange in color and slippery.

There is your problem. The inital low leak was such it never made it to
ground due to belly pan. Eventually the leak was enough to drip on ground.

The coolant leaves a white residue. I used VW coolant and distilled water.

Last edited:

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
I just did my Frostheater install this weekend, while doing my 40k service. Here's my 2¢:

First off, I loved the suggestion of using a mirror to "watch" myself drive up the ramps - definitely takes the scary out of it.

Second, I did not use remote hose clamps, but wish I did. Ended up buying the Crescent X2 long reach pliers set at the local Sears. These did the job, but the spring clamp got slid toward the back, and it was a PITA to get it back to the front where I could get it out.

Absolutely need 1/4" drive universal joint to get to the FH hose clamps. A pile of extensions makes your life easier. Getting the bracket on was a PITA, too.

This project was my first time using a cordless impact driver - these kick ass. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

FWIW, since I was installing a Marinco 150BBI on the bumper where the foglight would go, I took the bumper cover off before starting the FH install. Definitely helped when situating the FH itself.

So yep, agree with most others on all the tips here.

Singah

TDI
MK6 Golf TDI
Can anyone tell me how long that electrical cord is?

I want to see if I can route it towards the back bumper.
Thanx

mikereidjr

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
I have on to install, I have a DSG do I just pull that thermostat and be done with it, I don't really need it? Does anyone know where I can gat a smaller plug for my car?