www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old October 4th, 2019, 20:10   #1
kathie659

TDI(s): Jetta 2001
Fuel Economy: 48 hwy
Default Necessary shield?

Just had. work done, needed rear bearing...oil change was one of the things they did. Left shop, returned, told them I could hear a sound like something dragging. They put it on lift, found nothing. 2 days later ( today) sound noticeable louder. I looked under front end. A plastic shield which seems to have covered bottom of engine, was disconnected and the noise was this cover hitting ground when I went over bumps. Anyway the shield is falling off. Should I just remove it? I'm told it may impact cooling? Could mechanic have removed shield to change filter?

Last edited by kathie659; October 4th, 2019 at 20:13.
kathie659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2019, 20:20   #2
mjez
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 00 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 47mpg

Filter is accessed from top, but he had to remove it to drain the engine oil.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Old October 4th, 2019, 21:14   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Unless they used a suction method to drain the oil. More than likely though they removed the lower plate to drain the oil and then didn't replace it properly. They should be on the hook for getting it back in place. If it is damaged from dragging they should replace it. You should look into a skid plate as well to protect the engine. Something like this.

https://www.dieselgeek.com/products/...skid-plate-kit
Old October 5th, 2019, 14:06   #4
kathie659

TDI(s): Jetta 2001
Fuel Economy: 48 hwy

I'm seriously considering buying a 2014 diesel...don't want to put much more into this car. I'm torn because I've put about 2,500.00 into this car in last year or so. It runs perfect (except for this shield) only issue is dented door and speakers should be replaced. I use it every day. My 2 concerns: How much longer will this be available and how much can I really expect to get for an '01 with 160k miles.....its been suggested I keep this one, but that will mean I have 3 cars....seems excessive , but one is a work van and I need it for hauling building materials
kathie659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 22:26   #5
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You won't lose anything by keeping it then. Service parts should be available for some time. Other parts (new) are getting close to their lifespan (interior plastic parts for one). I would consider getting the 2014 or 2015 and just use this one for the time being to keep the miles off the other one. When something big happens you can always let it go.
Old October 6th, 2019, 03:06   #6
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathie659 View Post
Just had. work done, needed rear bearing...oil change was one of the things they did. Left shop, returned, told them I could hear a sound like something dragging. They put it on lift, found nothing. 2 days later ( today) sound noticeable louder. I looked under front end. A plastic shield which seems to have covered bottom of engine, was disconnected and the noise was this cover hitting ground when I went over bumps. Anyway the shield is falling off. Should I just remove it? I'm told it may impact cooling? Could mechanic have removed shield to change filter?
I had mine rip off a while back after hitting something in the road. I remembereplaced with an aluminum plate off of idparts. The plate is good but it was missing the rivnuts so I welded the brackets on. This is on an a6. You don't want to leave your bottom part exposed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 09:07   #7
bigtom111
Veteran Member

I discarded the plastic bottom plates on all mine when the platesw came loose and started dragging. Many hundred thousand miles without any problems
bigtom111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2019, 17:25   #8
jerrymander
Veteran Member

Shield was really important on older Golfs, which seemed to drop oil pans faster than coeds' panties at a Beatles concert. I haven't heard or seen any Golfs after 2006 dropping oil pans because of road damage.

That being said, I still put a Rennline on mine.
Old October 6th, 2019, 18:12   #9
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

It should be said that the factory plastic lower cover offers zero protection for the
oil pan beyond reducing potential corrosion. Minor dirt and stone impact maybe...
Old October 6th, 2019, 18:12   #10
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

My old 2003 Beetle oil pan was only one key fob length off the ground, and that with a new stock suspension just in. Scraped a hole in it on a rutted road less than 1/2 hour after getting it fixed. Had to take it directly back to runonbeer for a new pan. Full armor plate after that.
Old October 7th, 2019, 13:19   #11
jokila

Fuel Economy: 52/45/40

It will be louder in the drive through lanes without it. It keeps crap off the bottom, like flying debris that slapped the wires to my AC compressor.
jokila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 18:33   #12
AndyBees
Veteran Member

My formerly owned 2000 Jetta hasn't had the bottom plastic shield on it in about 10 years and 250k miles ... Side skirts, yes!

The ALH in my Vanagon (mounted in the rear) stays rather clean without a bottom shield but I did install side skirts..