UK based B3v, mk2 Golf & t4 (Eurovan) tdi's

Zed.

TDI
'89 B3 T'die Passat wagon. '95 T4 van (1Z T'die converted). '87 mk2 Golf AHU tdi converted /02a etc. '92 & '95 200tdi Landrover Discovery
Okey, I admit it, I've too many tdi'd vw's:eek:
I've been on here for 4+ years but as a reader & lurker so don't post much, thought it about time I posted some waffle

'89 B3 & '95 t4

same '89 B3, '87 mk2 Golf & the blue '92 B3 is stripped as a parts car (even kept panels including rear wing assemblies)

my late (for UK market) '93 B3v, was 1.8i singlepoint injection now AHU tdi'd using a '95 B4 donor, sorry but I guess everyone's seen a sorta standard install:p

just a comment on t4's in the UK:D

my '89 B3 again, also one of my 200tdi Landrover Discovery's and my '91 Eunos Roadster (Mazda Miata or MX5), the Eunos is staying with the 1.6 petrol engine as I don't think theres a high enough final-drive available to work with a low-revving tdi in it's chassis :-D
http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=73557&sid=8a3e1a6427c3fced7386ed38dcf5a56a
some B3 related wanderings, admittedly incomplete history of my time with them but something in writing:eek:
I've broken / parted probably 15 B3 & B4 cars but one day will find another with the uncommon climatronic (had a setup in the first B4 that was donor for the t4 - stupidly kept the clima electronics but binned the heaterboxes and they are hard to find here:mad: )
Rich.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
the Eunos is staying with the 1.6 petrol engine as I don't think theres a high enough final-drive available to work with a low-revving tdi in it's chassis :-D
with a bigger turbo a 1.9 will breathe from 3k out to 6k rpm (and beyond, but I haven't been there yet) :D

Nice stable of TDIs, any pics of the eurovan engine bay? don't see a huge number of them over here, much less with the correct motor in them :p

Zed.

TDI
'89 B3 T'die Passat wagon. '95 T4 van (1Z T'die converted). '87 mk2 Golf AHU tdi converted /02a etc. '92 & '95 200tdi Landrover Discovery

sorta looks lost in there:eek:

used a '95 B4 Passat as tdi donor, car had 314.000+ miles behind it & believe on origonal engine!
conversion from origonal 1X (1.9D) engine so used t4's sump/pickup/dipstick & tube / :eek:engine & driveshaft mounts / coolant pipework etc. and a B5.5 Passat 'pd130' inlet manifold to have a bolted intercooler pipe flange (less rubber joints& possible leaks).
also used the car turbo & manifold to have a 'low-mount' and more room underbonnet and ease of maintanance:cool:

for the fly-by-wire throttle, vw partsbin as the '96-'99 t4's had a diferent throttle pedal & suitable bracket to mount the potentiometer.

as to intercooler, used the vw partsbin again, t5's have an oem fit front-mount that sits nicely between the grille & radiator with minor trimming of the headlamp surround and easily made brackets (although more common with the t4 numpty's is to use the huge intercooler from an LT35 / mercedes Sprinter:rolleyes: )

90hp, cruise control & mfa dash cluster (from the donor B4) with 40+mpg so cannot complain:D - even welded the 'top' filler section of the t4's origonal 1X camcover onto the 1Z tdi's item for the extended oil filler neck, it's the little things like this that make a conversion liveable with :)

Rich

Zed.

TDI
been working on my tdi'd 1987 mk2 Golf (brakes siezed & needs it's first bit of welding - patch under the rear seat :-? ) and moving stuff around in the unit...
empty space :eek:

a rather 'odd' place to find rust? was starting to rot from below so time to chop it out & repair :|

the mighty '90hp' AHU tdi engine, about 175'/lbs torque standard so not slow in the light mk2:D lightly fettled & de-restricted so economical & fun as a daily :cool:
one day I'll tidy the underbonnet, I have a diesel airfilter box to fit & replace the inlet manifold with one from a 'pd130' Passat to have a bolted flange connection to the intercooler pipework (not a few 'jubilee' clips!) - one day....

the 'office', loads of rare ish bits on this car, the cruise stalk (NOS in box) was a nice find as it's only used for a year or so compared to the earlier & later stalks also the td dash cluster as it has an alternator triggered tacometer to work with the diesel engine (the car is running an ecu controlled 'fly-by-wire' throttle setup but mk2 golf's didn't have ecu triggered tacometers just ignition-coil triggered so this is a 'get-around')
also, Cruise working on a cable speedometer, used a hall-sensor on the rear of the speedometer to supply the vss to the ecu.
Ce1 wired car with adapted Ce2 engine loom, the car actually became tdi powered 3 years ago yesterday :cool:
must find intrest to weld the t4, it's mot expired in january & has been sitting in the unit since while still insured :rolleyes:

another better photo of the t4's enginebay

more waffle to come....

Rich.

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Cool to see some T4 content.

i have to ask, when you are in a market that has the 2.5L ACV TDIs available, why you would swap in a 1.9L? People do the 4 cylinder 1.9L swaps here because they're available and relatively inexpensive.

Zed.

TDI
Cool to see some T4 content.
i have to ask, when you are in a market that has the 2.5L ACV TDIs available, why you would swap in a 1.9L? People do the 4 cylinder 1.9L swaps here because they're available and relatively inexpensive.

the 2.5 tdi is a terrible engine:p

in my opinion - not great ecoomy, expensive to maintain, usually done more miles than the starship enterprise BUT without the maintanance:rolleyes:, harder to work on than the 1.9 / 4 cylinder (room in engine bay)
also, the 90hp 1.9tdi (1z & ahu) is similar in power before fiddling (the 2.5tdi's are either 88hp or 102hp commonly in UK, there is a 150hp version but thats rarely seen here as it seems to have been a euro only option:( )
the 2.4 & 2.5 are sorta fragile when in their higher millage whereas the 1.9's will keep running unless completely doomed!

2.5tdi engines carry a high pricetag when looking for a 'good' one, 1.9tdi engines are common in many possible donors:cool:

also, the 1.9tdi is almost a 'like-for-like' conversion and readily available, can be an easy weeks work drive-in / drive-out and even a busy weekends work if pushed:eek:

Sorta...

Rich.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Appreciate the feedback.

I knew you guys only got the 88 and 102hp units. You're correct 90 is basically smack in the middle. Curious, have you ever fitted a VNT to any of your T4 4 cylinder TDI conversions? Any pics of the T5 FMIC fitted?

Zed.

TDI
Appreciate the feedback.
I knew you guys only got the 88 and 102hp units. You're correct 90 is basically smack in the middle. Curious, have you ever fitted a VNT to any of your T4 4 cylinder TDI conversions? Any pics of the T5 FMIC fitted?
I'm currently looking into converting a mk4 golf (ve engine type) wiring loom to the Ce2 fusebox connection, when done this will go on the t4 and I'm looking into vnt turbo fitment & manifolds (possibly using parts from Seat alibaba / vw sharron / ford galaxy?)

as to the intercooler, I'll sort some photo's later:cool:

but I wrote a 'how-to' on one of the farcebonk grops;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/889917321123082/permalink/1253133594801451/

Rich.

Josh_WA

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI, 1993 Eurovan Weekender TDI(AHU) converted 2/2016, 93 Eurovan MV TDI(1z)(sold!)
the 2.5 tdi is a terrible engine:p

in my opinion - not great ecoomy, expensive to maintain, usually done more miles than the starship enterprise BUT without the maintanance:rolleyes:, harder to work on than the 1.9 / 4 cylinder (room in engine bay)
also, the 90hp 1.9tdi (1z & ahu) is similar in power before fiddling (the 2.5tdi's are either 88hp or 102hp commonly in UK, there is a 150hp version but thats rarely seen here as it seems to have been a euro only option:( )
the 2.4 & 2.5 are sorta fragile when in their higher millage whereas the 1.9's will keep running unless completely doomed!

2.5tdi engines carry a high pricetag when looking for a 'good' one, 1.9tdi engines are common in many possible donors:cool:

also, the 1.9tdi is almost a 'like-for-like' conversion and readily available, can be an easy weeks work drive-in / drive-out and even a busy weekends work if pushed:eek:

Sorta...

Rich.

Thanks for the insight!

Zed.

TDI
something else to add into the mix, diferent inlet manifolds....
1. volvo 5cylinder 2.5tdi (vw engine).
2. cutdown volvo 5cylinder.
3. Inline ‚PD130‘ (Passat & Audi A4/A6).
4. 1.9tdi either1Z or AHU type (golf mk3 or B4 Passat).
5. ‚round-port‘ 1.6td mk2 golf / B3 Passat td (SB code engine).
6. 1.9td (ABL code from t4 Shown).
7. Transverse ‚PD130‘ (golf/bora etc.).
8. Transverse ‚100/110hp (inline opposite).

and another

the top manifold is from a Volvo 240 that had the vw 6 cylinder diesel (or turbo diesel), It's something I'm considering chopping up but another 'rainy-day' wondering...
theres also the 'snail-shell' type manifold as fitted on the 'SDI' engines, possibly great for bigger power / bigger turbo engines - I've also got one of them in the garage:eek:

on the t4 I've used the inline-fit 'pd130' type manifold, was a neat method of a bolted-flange connection to a single long metal intercooler with a single sillycone / rubber joiner to the intercooler.
will sort the intercooler fitment writeup tomorow:cool:

Rich.

Zed.

TDI

Asshat group photo :D

Rich.

Last edited:

Zed.

TDI
Been working on my t4 (have a few cars...:p )

replacing rotten bodywork (yes, t4's disolve :D )

measure once, cut twice...
3mm / 1/8" gap is a little more than I wanted :mad:

welded it anyway :cool:

sanded the 'spare' weld back ('flap-discs' on an angle-grinder)

theres a little skim of filler neede but I'm not worried about that, future problem if/as&when it's painted....
excuse the pink paint, all the 'nearly' the right reddish aerosol's I have are doomed

managed to get the door-gap correct as well.
next is to repair the side-door (previous owner's damage, so at least 9 1/2 years old, obviously NOT a high priority! )
more to come...
Rich.

Last edited:

Davegsm82

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf TDI 2.0 CRB 150BHP + T25 Vanagon AFN 110BHP
Hello to another fellow UK TDi fan.

I've got a stock golf MK4 with the tasty 150hp ARL and a T3 camper that I've converted to an AFN now with about 125.

Zed.

TDI
last thursday evening I decided to replace the suspension on my 1993 B3 Passat t'die wagon, was a lovely dry evening so off I went, front topmounts had been wolloped up with a windee-gun so were to tight to undo by hand - borrowed a mate & his battery-impact gun & they came undone easily :cool: rears were more of a challenge, no less as it started raining (more like a tropical storm) and both rear lower damper bolts had their nuts corroded away to nothing :mad: ended up drilling & splitting the nuts...

annoyingly, the nuts are in the axle-tube so not easily accessable....
so a set of ebay's 'el-cheapo' Jom coilovers were bought & fitted (had £35 off so only cost £130 posted)....

more waffle to come...

Rich.

Zed.

TDI

millage of donor tdi B4 `2 years on....

exhaust downpipe failure...

2 parts,,,

boot floor rot removed...

luckily I had a 'body cut' from a B3v I'd cut up for rear wings & removable panels...

trimmed slightly, have some gaps to weld & some to fill :roll:

started with the hot glue :p

roughly sanded weld back & one of the bits that the bodycut didn't cover...

h
more welded & sanded, now to make the last repair panel.

great car, 55-60+mpg & cruise. the car vw should have made:cool:

replaced the cluster in my B3v (tdi converted) from an old B4 tdi unit to a NOS petrol mfa type.

from

to

next job is to fit the MFA stalk & sub-loom to fusebox and the outside air temp sensor & 2 wire sub-loom:cool:

only taken 2 years to change the cluster on this car but the petrol - tdi conversion was done in 3 days:rolleyes:

rear axle swap for disc brakes next...

the petrol clusters that use ecu derrived tacometer signal will work with the tdi syetem but are missing the cel lamp:(

Rich.

Last edited:

Zed.

TDI
t4 tdi (1Z) converted with petrol cluster...

did a ~270 mile roadtrip averaging 60mph and the mfa suggests good mpg

for the record, it is good and I've seen 50mpg actual from this:cool:

Rich.

Zed.

TDI
another lack of progress update, still smokin around in the tdi'd B3v...

as it has been driven for the last ~2 years.....

stole the BBS alloys from my tdi'd '87 mk2 golf as the B3 needed tyres & I'm cheap :p

subject of golf, now looking more unloved than before as it's wearing scruffy B3 14" steel wheels....

I'll replace the front wings one day, had a pair in the shed for ~4 years so no rush! :hyst

replaced the front calipers on the golf, had them for ~3 years so no rush :oops:

naturally the calipers steel pipe didn't want to undo, faught it but eventually won after violence.

not much else to say except I'll do more next week.

Rich.

jwrb

TDI
Caddy MK2 ALH, Cordoba Vario ASV, Cordoba Vario Cupra 1.9 High Power Build
Another UK fellow! I've been after a B3 / B4 Passat for some time. To take on as a long term project!

Currently I'm settling for Seat Cordoba Varios and caddy vans.

I have a thing for wagons I think!

Nice work! :)

Zed.

TDI
Another UK fellow! I've been after a B3 / B4 Passat for some time. To take on as a long term project!

Currently I'm settling for Seat Cordoba Varios and caddy vans.

I have a thing for wagons I think!

Nice work! :)
HA.
if you want a B3 or B4 then you'd have to hurry as they're an endagerd species now :-(

Rich.