PD injector nozzles for optimum economy?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have a 2006 Jetta TDI with the DSG transmission. It has 260k miles and runs fine. It has a stage two malone tune and EGR delete and other than that, that is the only true mod on it. It already had that when I got it.
I noticed that my fuel economy has been getting pitiful, compared to what it had been. When I first got it, I could get 43-45mpg but lately, no matter what I do, I can't get over 37. It had been down to 33, and then I did a BG injector service and BG oil change, and then I got 35-37. My thought is that my injectors are probably needing replaced, and so I'm trying to do the research to figure out which direction would be best for fuel economy. Everyone I've seen is aiming for more power, which i know I have plenty of that right now. Is there any suggestions?

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6790 using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Check your cam for wear before you break the bank for new nozzles.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Check your cam for wear before you break the bank for new nozzles.
The cam had been replaced a couple thousand miles before I got the car.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
was the injection harness done at the same time? how're your deviations under block 13? If you do anything but stock OEM nozzles it'll need re-tuning, and ROI on anything but a known good used set would be tricky.

Mozambiquer

TDI
was the injection harness done at the same time? how're your deviations under block 13? If you do anything but stock OEM nozzles it'll need re-tuning, and ROI on anything but a known good used set would be tricky.
I don't believe that the injection harness was done. I'll check the deviations. What should they be? I figured it would need to have the tune modified for anything other than stock.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about it being tricky? What part is tricky?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a sticky at the top of this section, I would urge you to read through that and check all the items I have listed that apply to your car.

I doubt you need injectors replaced.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I have a sticky at the top of this section, I would urge you to read through that and check all the items I have listed that apply to your car.

I doubt you need injectors replaced.
I just checked through that. It's very interesting! I realize I'm possibly more used to getting fuel economy on the older idi engines. I have a rabbit pickup (caddy) with a 1.6 which I got 56mpg with. So, I tend to take it easy and keep my rpms down, but may be getting clogged up. One of my plans is to either gut the catalytic converter, or replace the down pipe with a high flow version, which should cut down on back pressure. I know that if I stomp on it sometimes it'll cut out and smoke pretty bad, but if I let up, it clears up nicely.

oilhammer

TDI
Unless I was content to drive VERY slow, none of my old VAG idi diesels or turbodiesels could touch a TDI for fuel economy. My 1991 Jetta diesel *might* edge out my 2004 Passat at a steady 70 MPH. But that is a pretty extreme difference in performance, too, and the Passat will not use much more fuel doing 80 and it doesn't care if the A/C is running.

If you really want to improve your BRM's fuel economy, I would look into having it DEtuned back to a more modest level. You can leave the EGR off, just make sure the tuner knows.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Unless I was content to drive VERY slow
Is there another option for a stock IDI :p

I get 38-44 in the city (depending on weather) with my manual BEW running similar software. Highway mileage is about the same due to driving habits/mountains. Dialing it back a hair might help though, throttle on stage 2 is a bit more aggressive than stage 1.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Is there another option for a stock IDI [emoji14]

I get 38-44 in the city (depending on weather) with my manual BEW running similar software. Highway mileage is about the same due to driving habits/mountains. Dialing it back a hair might help though, throttle on stage 2 is a bit more aggressive than stage 1.
I had to laugh at that idi comment. [emoji23]
Owain, I suppose you are with malone judging by your user name. How does malone do it if you want to edit the tune?

Mozambiquer

TDI
Now, I am still considering replacing the injector nozzles, but will be working on the other things to cut back the possible problems. My thought has to with my observation in my work. I am a diesel mechanic, mostly on pickup trucks and semis, but I also have a good working experience with smaller diesels, VW, Isuzu, BMW, Nissan, Mitsubishi and etc. Anyway. I've seen plenty of injectors stick open and kill engines, and don't really want that, so I'm wanting to get my injectors rebuilt as a service item. I'm also looking into a catalytic converter delete (debating between the hammer and rod, or replacing with a high flow downpipe.

oilhammer

TDI
The VAG (Bosch) PD injectors are generally very good, very reliable, and long lasting. I work on these cars every day, and in all the years PDs have been sold here and as many of them as I have serviced, many with 300k+ miles or more on them (have one with nearly 420k on it here today), I have only ever seen two bad ones.

I really would look to a software change first. If it has a lot of smoke, you know it is overfueling.

Mozambiquer

TDI
The VAG (Bosch) PD injectors are generally very good, very reliable, and long lasting. I work on these cars every day, and in all the years PDs have been sold here and as many of them as I have serviced, many with 300k+ miles or more on them (have one with nearly 420k on it here today), I have only ever seen two bad ones.

I really would look to a software change first. If it has a lot of smoke, you know it is overfueling.
OK. To clarify, the smoke only is sometimes when you hit it, and it kinda falls on its face and clatters before smoothing out. When it does that, it will blow a cloud of smoke. It does not normally "roll coal" even if you want to.