www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old April 23rd, 2019, 03:24   #1741
Dieselista

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Good luck and hope you can get rid of that pesky code for good with this procedure.
EDIT: TDI Allen did a writeup on how to change the 4 wire glow plug harness if you decide to change yours. You will see that it is quite involved, so that is why I suggest treating you harness before considering replacing it. [url="http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=823536&page=0&amp ;view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1"
Here is the link[/url]
The link to the 4 wire glow plug replacement is broken, does anyone know where this is now located?
Old April 23rd, 2019, 07:30   #1742
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=223710
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2019, 16:33   #1743
Dieselista

Thank you!
Old May 6th, 2019, 13:12   #1744
OwenWS25

I have been having some issue with starting up my '04 Golf TDI.

First started when I tried to turn it on without waiting for glow plugs to light up, now happening every once in a while even after waiting. When it doesn't start the glow plug light turns on then keeps flashing. Noticed it might be better after letting glow plugs heat up for longer. And I have started it a few times while the glow plug light still flashing. Pulled codes, but doesn't look like they have to do with this issue.

I tested the glow plugs and all ohm values were around 0.8. I tested the wiring harness and got 5v running through all 4 points.

Is this a low voltage? Or is that converted for 5v glow plugs?

If it is low, would that be the wiring harness, or I heard it could be a relay?

Could use some advice on how to proceed.

I also tested the fuse block on the battery and all checked out.

Thank you.
OwenWS25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 10:01   #1745
matt002

TDI(s): VWT5

Hello all,

I have followed the 101 guide and would like to replace my glow plug harness next.

I have a VWT5 with a 4 wire harness.

Is there any reason why I cant soldier connect in a new 4 wire harness of the correct type same as for the 2 wire as described in the 101 guide? I am assuming that the 4 wires are individual +ve supplies to each of the glow plugs and I may need to do some trial and error using VCDS to ensure i get the correct connections prior to soldering and sealing.

The 101 guide states that the 4 wire version is more involved, Am I missing something?

Thanks
Matt
matt002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2019, 12:35   #1746
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Yes, you can hook it up many ways and it will work. But I would remove the battery, the air box and replace all the way to the connection in the duct. If you cut and splice, just tag the wires to get them matched, then your future codes will be accurate.
Old September 17th, 2019, 15:15   #1747
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Some models / years have the 4 wire harnesses reporting glow plug order as the reverse of the cylinder numbering... (for a valid reason - although that tends to confuse people...) You may wish to arrange it so that it reads the way that makes sense to you...

Y.

Quando omni flunkus moritati

ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 15:47   #1748
gunnerthesnowman

Hi All , I have a 2004 tdi and it starts hard when cold, one thing I notice no matter what the outside temp is, the glow plugs only cycle for about 3 seconds and for that 3 seconds the voltage only test 8.9 volts and the harness end that connects to each glow plug and then it drops to 2.3 volts.
I will disconnect the coolant temp sensor and see if they stay on for the 20 seconds , I will also check the fuses on top of the battery and report back here.
gunnerthesnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2019, 19:37   #1749
gunnerthesnowman

Ok, I disconnected the coolant sensor and there is no different in the time the glow plug power stays on , about 3 seconds???
I shot Wingnut a PM (hope he does not mind a pm on this )
Hoping to get this working right as winter is coming fast here in Alberta
Old October 27th, 2019, 12:02   #1750
ymz
Veteran Member

The 2004s had at least one recall concerning the glow plugs... first they came out with ceramic ones that tended to break, then they put in some metal-tipped ones - at a different voltage - that never quite worked properly... I believe _some_ cars also received yet another update to a different style of ceramic tipped plugs - at yet another voltage... so... first check with a dealer to see whether your car has had the update(s)...

Old October 28th, 2019, 05:38   #1751
gunnerthesnowman

Can I tell with VAG COM if I have the updates ?, also with VAG COM can I change the glow plug voltage setting ?
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymz View Post
The 2004s had at least one recall concerning the glow plugs... first they came out with ceramic ones that tended to break, then they put in some metal-tipped ones - at a different voltage - that never quite worked properly... I believe _some_ cars also received yet another update to a different style of ceramic tipped plugs - at yet another voltage... so... first check with a dealer to see whether your car has had the update(s)...
Old October 28th, 2019, 13:01   #1752
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerthesnowman View Post
Can I tell with VAG COM if I have the updates ?, also with VAG COM can I change the glow plug voltage setting ?
Thanks
You can not change the voltage, you can change the length of time they stay on. There should be data in the header when you connect the VAGcom, sorry, you'll have to research what to look for.
I WAS CORRECTED, YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE TIME IN A PD SETUP- thanks turbovan

Last edited by BobnOH; November 1st, 2019 at 14:32.
Old October 28th, 2019, 14:51   #1753
ymz
Veteran Member

Quote:
Can I tell with VAG COM if I have the updates ?
It was an official recall... any VW dealer can look up the VIN and let you know...

Y.

Old October 29th, 2019, 05:45   #1754
gunnerthesnowman

Thanks , I will check with the dealer .
Old October 31st, 2019, 09:56   #1755
rhinorear

Quote:
Hi All , I have a 2004 tdi and it starts hard when cold, one thing I notice no matter what the outside temp is, the glow plugs only cycle for about 3 seconds and for that 3 seconds the voltage only test 8.9 volts and the harness end that connects to each glow plug and then it drops to 2.3 volts.
I will disconnect the coolant temp sensor and see if they stay on for the 20 seconds , I will also check the fuses on top of the battery and report back here.

Like you I had the same concern about glow plug cycle time on my 2014. Thinking that no matter what the temp was the cycle would stay the same. I was relieved that with a 27 degree morning my plugs stayed on for a considerable longer time period.

I think you're on the right track thinking there is something wrong. Hope you get it figured out.
rhinorear is offline   Reply With Quote