Changing oil 2013 Q7 - any caveats?

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Just got oil change kit from IDParts. Never changed it before. Is it a fairly straighforward oil change or any weird things - e.g. oddball tools needed, left-handed threads, reprograming needed, etc. to be aware of?

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
On our Q5 I change the oil from the top using an extractor. Getting to all of the oil in the pan can take some time but eventually you will get it. Don't forget to extract what ever oil you can from the filter housing too.

The hardest part for me is removing the filter element from the holder/lid, it takes brute force that feels like you could break something in the holder but I haven't yet broken anything.

Pretty straightforward job. The Treg is almost identical (same damn filter element) so I assume the Q7 will be very similar too.

Kevin

mike

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Q5 Tdi, RIP 2003 Jetta GLS 5sp
On our Q5 I change the oil from the top using an extractor. Getting to all of the oil in the pan can take some time but eventually you will get it. Don't forget to extract what ever oil you can from the filter housing too.

The hardest part for me is removing the filter element from the holder/lid, it takes brute force that feels like you could break something in the holder but I haven't yet broken anything.

Pretty straightforward job. The Treg is almost identical (same damn filter element) so I assume the Q7 will be very similar too.

Kevin
I find it easier and more thorough tochange oil the old fashioned way, from below. There are a lot of belly pan screws, some different just don't mix them up.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I find it easier and more thorough tochange oil the old fashioned way, from below. There are a lot of belly pan screws, some different just don't mix them up.

Not sure about the Q7, but the Touareg belly pan sucks to deal with because its two separate pieces that both have to come off because the oil drain plug sits right in between them. Its an awful lot of fasteners too; something like 12 to 14.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Not sure about the Q7, but the Touareg belly pan sucks to deal with because its two separate pieces that both have to come off because the oil drain plug sits right in between them. Its an awful lot of fasteners too; something like 12 to 14.

Just the belly pans eh? Do they serve any protective purpose, or should I leave them off? When I owned an ML250 Blutetec, and old Benz mechanic told me leave 'em off; they only served to get the engine hotter quicker, from an emissions standpoint, and made it quieter, I like sounding like a diesel.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI

Just the belly pans eh? Do they serve any protective purpose, or should I leave them off? When I owned an ML250 Blutetec, and old Benz mechanic told me leave 'em off; they only served to get the engine hotter quicker, from an emissions standpoint, and made it quieter, I like sounding like a diesel.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
put the belly pans back on... I think they help with fuel efficiency, aerodynamics etc....

I've done it on the 11 q7 and the 15 q7, and they weren't any different as far as I remember.