www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:12   #1
trae
Veteran Member
Default Changing oil 2013 Q7 - any caveats?

Just got oil change kit from IDParts. Never changed it before. Is it a fairly straighforward oil change or any weird things - e.g. oddball tools needed, left-handed threads, reprograming needed, etc. to be aware of?
Old August 2nd, 2019, 07:58   #2
ksa63
Veteran Member

On our Q5 I change the oil from the top using an extractor. Getting to all of the oil in the pan can take some time but eventually you will get it. Don't forget to extract what ever oil you can from the filter housing too.

The hardest part for me is removing the filter element from the holder/lid, it takes brute force that feels like you could break something in the holder but I haven't yet broken anything.

Pretty straightforward job. The Treg is almost identical (same damn filter element) so I assume the Q7 will be very similar too.

Kevin
2014 Touareg "Highline" TDI with R-Line Pkg. 177000km, 2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI 121000km, 2013 Golf SportWagon "Highline" Buyback Taken 161871km, 2003 Jetta Wagon (RIP) 499400km, and 2005 Passat Sedan (SOLD) 108000km.
ksa63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:22   #3
mike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Q 34, ALH 49/45/43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa63 View Post
On our Q5 I change the oil from the top using an extractor. Getting to all of the oil in the pan can take some time but eventually you will get it. Don't forget to extract what ever oil you can from the filter housing too.

The hardest part for me is removing the filter element from the holder/lid, it takes brute force that feels like you could break something in the holder but I haven't yet broken anything.

Pretty straightforward job. The Treg is almost identical (same damn filter element) so I assume the Q7 will be very similar too.

Kevin
I find it easier and more thorough tochange oil the old fashioned way, from below. There are a lot of belly pan screws, some different just don't mix them up.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 12:28   #4
KITEWAGON
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I find it easier and more thorough tochange oil the old fashioned way, from below. There are a lot of belly pan screws, some different just don't mix them up.

Not sure about the Q7, but the Touareg belly pan sucks to deal with because its two separate pieces that both have to come off because the oil drain plug sits right in between them. Its an awful lot of fasteners too; something like 12 to 14.
KITEWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 16:47   #5
trae
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post
Not sure about the Q7, but the Touareg belly pan sucks to deal with because its two separate pieces that both have to come off because the oil drain plug sits right in between them. Its an awful lot of fasteners too; something like 12 to 14.

Just the belly pans eh? Do they serve any protective purpose, or should I leave them off? When I owned an ML250 Blutetec, and old Benz mechanic told me leave 'em off; they only served to get the engine hotter quicker, from an emissions standpoint, and made it quieter, I like sounding like a diesel.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 17:00   #6
trae
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITEWAGON View Post

Just the belly pans eh? Do they serve any protective purpose, or should I leave them off? When I owned an ML250 Blutetec, and old Benz mechanic told me leave 'em off; they only served to get the engine hotter quicker, from an emissions standpoint, and made it quieter, I like sounding like a diesel.
Old August 14th, 2019, 06:39   #7
petee_c
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.6ish L /100km golf.... just under 10L/100km q7

put the belly pans back on... I think they help with fuel efficiency, aerodynamics etc....

I've done it on the 11 q7 and the 15 q7, and they weren't any different as far as I remember.
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote