Snow Screen Passat 05

Joell

TDI
2005 Passat
Just how critical is the snow screen on the air filter box? Can it be removed without any consequence? The screen on 05 Passat seems small and could impede air flow. I have cleaned mine several times and found leaves and other small debris blocking the screen. It seems to me that removal of the screen would permit such debris to settle on the bottom of the air box and not impede air flow. Your input is appreciated.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I like it in place. For a couple reasons. One, it really won't mess with air flow unless it became severely clogged. Two, it prolongs the life of the air filter. And three, it is super easy to clean periodically with a shop vac. I suck them out at every 10k service. Never had any issues with them. They are easily THRICE the surface area of the A4 cars' snow screen, and much easier to get at. ;)

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
oilhammer said:
I like it in place. For a couple reasons. One, it really won't mess with air flow unless it became severely clogged. Two, it prolongs the life of the air filter. And three, it is super easy to clean periodically with a shop vac. I suck them out at every 10k service. Never had any issues with them. They are easily THRICE the surface area of the A4 cars' snow screen, and much easier to get at. ;)
Do you replace the Air Filter at the 10K service also? There are some here say you can't open the box and reuse the air filter because it messes up the seal?.?

Joell

TDI
2005 Passat
I have replaced the air filter twice and cleaned the snow screen several times and never had an issue with sealing the air filter box. The rear clip is the only challenge encountered but with effort it too can be secured.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DeliveryValve said:
Do you replace the Air Filter at the 10K service also? There are some here say you can't open the box and reuse the air filter because it messes up the seal?.?
I replace the air filter when the PM schedule says to. Never gets 'checked'. You do not need to open the air box to clean the snow screen, just need to slide the intake tube up (the ricers like to call this a "Cold Air Intake" ;) )

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
A 40k air filter? Yeah, right.
I replace mine every 20k no matter what.
I have no snow filter, but did add some screen material in front of the intake port.