2004 Golf 2.0 BKD P0401

aurumdeus

TDI
Golf Mk5 2.0 TDI 140HP BKD
Hi,

So as the title says, I'm getting a P0401 code, insufficient flow. However I'm reading the actual amount as far higher than the requested.

The duty cycle almost always stays at 15.1%, even under load. When you press the accelerator there is a very brief spike, then back down to 15.1%.

Also MAF vs EGR Actual shows the EGR Actual as being the same value as the MAF, which presumably should mean that the engine is breathing 100% inert exhaust, and therefore shouldn't run... it does run a tiny bit rough, and feels like it misfires occasionally. There are no error codes relating to this.

The vacuum pipe going to the EGR is fine, and it pulls a good vacuum. I can feel the vacuum changing as the egr cycles, so the solenoid operating it is presumably fine as well.

I have a replacement EGR on the way so I will start by replacing that, I was just wondering if anyone else seen this pattern. I've done a fair bit of reading but I've not seen anything that matches this pattern (at least to my untrained eye). The car is too old to have a DPF fitted.

Other than replacing the EGR and checking the supply pipe, is there anything else I can do? All tests performed stationary, so not under load.

Thanks!

This shows EGR Actual, Spec, RPM, and Duty Cycle under varying RPM.

The coolant temp sensor is also faulty, this shows the coolant temp dropping, the engine RPM being increased automatically, and then the EGR spec increasing. The EGR Actual stays constant.

EGR Spec, Actual, RPM under rapid rpm increases

EGR Spec, Actual, Duty Cycle under rpm changes.

MAF and EGR Actual

At present all I can think is the EGR is jammed and unable to properly close, so is delivering more than the engine wants. This is causing the engine to drop the duty cycle as low as it can, in an effort to reduce the EGR flow? Brief duty cycle increases seem to be when the EGR Spec exceeds the EGR Actual, or when the pedal is released.

If there is anything else useful I can provide or investigate, let me know. Thanks for any help and advice on the topic. I will report back with findings if/when I solve the issue, in case anyone gets brought here by google for the same pattern!

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
A 2004 Golf is a mk4 not an MK5. I will move this post into the MK4 forum.

Have Fun!

Don

aurumdeus

TDI
Golf Mk5 2.0 TDI 140HP BKD
From the wiki page,
The Golf Mk5 was introduced in Europe in the autumn of 2003, reaching the UK market in early 2004.
It's a French reg vehicle, definitely a Mk 5? Either way, thanks for keeping things clean and tidy in the forum!

The issue is solved. It was just a dirty EGR unable to fully close. The engine was getting more exhaust than it wanted, so was trying to get the duty cycle as low as it could, at 15.1%. Once replaced the spec and actual lined up nicely and all errors went away.

I replaced the EGR, but I'm sure just cleaning the original one would have done the job as well. Wood stove insert cleaner or BBQ cleaner is particularly effective at getting rid of the soot that builds up.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It's a French reg vehicle, definitely a Mk 5? Either way, thanks for keeping things clean and tidy in the forum!

The issue is solved. It was just a dirty EGR unable to fully close. The engine was getting more exhaust than it wanted, so was trying to get the duty cycle as low as it could, at 15.1%. Once replaced the spec and actual lined up nicely and all errors went away.

Apparently I missed the fact that you are in France. In North America the MK5 did not arrive until mid 2005 model year. Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out and got it working again.

Have Fun!

Don