glow plug light blinking, check engine light on and car started jerking, help me.

beanie1968

TDI
2002 beetle
I just got my beetle 6 weeks ago, it is 2002 with 91,000 miles on it. then yesterday while highway driving it seemed to jerk once but then was ok. then about 30 more miles it started jerking like crazy and the glow plug light starting blinking at the same time the check engine light came on.It is an automatic. I was able to drive it another 10 miles home with only intermittent jerking. the lights still come on after starting car. what could this mean and how much to fix? please help a newbie. :confused:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The blinking light means there's a problem with the engine management system. Have it scanned for fault codes.

-Jason

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
My automatic would do that in first... but I didn't diagnose the problem...

does it do it on decel, or accel?

You need to get the car scanned asap. post the codes here and we'll help you out...

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
When was the fuel filter last changed?? More important: when was the timing belt changed?? (2002's have an 80,000-mile-rated timing belt system...) Has the intake manifold ever been cleaned?

The blinking glow plug light most likely means a blown brake light or bad brake light switch, although it could also mean something more serious, especially since your CEL is on as well... (that one could also be as simple as a glow plug, harness, coolant temperature sensor, or... something serious...)

Go to an AutoZone and get the car scanned (free)... Let us know what the scan discovers... But let us know about the timing belt !!!!!!

Yuri.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
beanie1968 said:
.. the glow plug light starting blinking at the same time the check engine light came on... . :confused:
Your car is raising its hand and waving it trying to get your attention. It knows the answer to the question, but you have to ask it. Have the computer stored error codes read. Get the actual numbers of the errors and come back here with that information.

Note: many of the codes can be read with standard readers like the ones that Advanced Auto Parts and Autozone use for their Free reading of error codes.

beanie1968

TDI
2002 beetle
thanks

thank you all. I will let you know what I find out. you all are wonderful!!!;)