www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old March 8th, 2007, 09:10   #16
ymz
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 5.3 l/100 km (at 115 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNXGUY
I dunno what bushing they'd be talking about.
On the old models, there was a bushing in the bell housing to accept the end of the starter shaft... I don't know about the modern ones as I haven't needed to r/r a starter in a while... (the original one on my last car lasted about 630,000 km and I wasn't the one who replaced it...)

Yuri.
ymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:50   #17
volmaniac
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf GLS
Fuel Economy: around 50 mpg

from the bentley:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxracer1 View Post
Wars are fought over religion, money, land, and brand of injectors for a TDI
volmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 17:23   #18
codeblue
Veteran Member

Just wanted to say that I did this today on my A3 and when I was taking the little electrical strap that goes between the starter and solenoid off it just shriveled and crumbled into peices. It was just a crappy bare wire!

I had to make up some crappy new wire to connect the two peices, but the part where it goes onto the casing, there is nothing to attach to, or screw into, it looks like the strap is integral to the casing and it may be necessary to replace the whole starter just to get the stock strap back on there.

I tried soldering too but it didn't really want to stick to the casing.

For now its bare wire wrapped around it and it seems to work. But has anyone else run into this problem before?
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 16:50   #19
j3ff

Default Soleoid-to-starter wire

Hey Codeblue,

Looks like this thread got a little stale but I just had a very similar problem today. I got in my car and tried to start it, and it cranked slowly then stopped, and a large puff of some came out of the engine. It took me a while, but I eventually traced it down to the strap between the starter and solenoid. It looks like mine corroded about halfway, and then melted the rest when the remaining functioning segment was small enough.

The starter is on my workbench now, I'm going to pull it apart and see if I can figure out a way to replace that wire; I don't want to replace a perfectly good working unit just because of one crappy exposed connector.

I'll let you all know how it turns out...

Jeff
j3ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:38   #20
codeblue
Veteran Member

I actually ended up purchasing a new starter, from a 2002 TDI, with a functioning bare wire. I made sure to spray it with a lot of deoxidizing solution and then afterwards put some protective electrical grease on it. I guess another solution would be to put some electrical tape on it as well.

Even after lubing up the A3 starter it was still squeeling. This new mk4 starter starts up nice and fast and noise free now.
codeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:38   #21
kane

TDI(s): 2000 beetle

This is not why you get the grind at start up. There is a bearing right behind the teeth on the starter witch get bad in these cars. The reason why I know is because I tried this before and it would cure it for a little while but would always come back. I took the starter off for the third time and said the hell with it and took it to a starter shop. At last the guy found the bad bearing and that was 40000 kms ago with no problems. Best thing is it only cost 80$ to fix.
kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:19   #22
je
Veteran Member

TDI(s): -
Arrow

Quote:
spray some goo lubricant in the end of the gear from inside.
What do you mean by "goo lubricant"? What would I get from the store?
Also - may be this is a good thing to bold, so it doesn't get missed taking the starter out and cleaning it.

Im not sure it's clutch dust, it seems to be that the bushing for the gear shaft gets worn, the shaft jams, holding the starter gear on the flywheel after the engine starts.

Also from me - where does one get this bushing?

Last edited by je; September 15th, 2007 at 05:31.
je is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 13:42   #23
drakeo0

TDI(s): golf 99.5

Quote:
Just wanted to say that I did this today on my A3 and when I was taking the little electrical strap that goes between the starter and solenoid off it just shriveled and crumbled into peices. It was just a crappy bare wire!

I had to make up some crappy new wire to connect the two peices, but the part where it goes onto the casing, there is nothing to attach to, or screw into, it looks like the strap is integral to the casing and it may be necessary to replace the whole starter just to get the stock strap back on there.

I tried soldering too but it didn't really want to stick to the casing.

For now its bare wire wrapped around it and it seems to work. But has anyone else run into this problem before?
Same thing to me... once it corroded down small enough the rest just melted. Hopefully this is the problem.

Now the fix?

Andrew
drakeo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 15:34   #24
drakeo0

TDI(s): golf 99.5

I ended up cutting up some power cables and lacing the insides together, ripping apart all that cruddy leftover braided wire and ran the new copper directly from the screw on the solenoid to the starter, where I soldered it. Started right (almost, a little chuggy like always) up.
drakeo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:08   #25
rampage
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 1998 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 45

I'm having the same problem with my starter gear hanging up for a split second after it starts.

Here's the question I have, is the starter gear hanging up going to wreck the ring gear, or will the starter just die eventually?
Has anyone else had good results with just cleaning the starter, or is it better to replace? I seem to see a mixed set of opinions...
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:21   #26
imperium
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg hiway, mid to high 40s in city

I am in the process of doing this on my Beetle. I can reach the bolt underneath and am hoping to just remove it from topside. The only problem I foresee is the massive bundle of wiring sitting above the starter. Are these clipped to the starter at all, or do they just sit above it?
'84 Rabbit GTI
'70 Type II
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 15:32   #27
paramedick
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperium
I am in the process of doing this on my Beetle. I can reach the bolt underneath and am hoping to just remove it from topside. The only problem I foresee is the massive bundle of wiring sitting above the starter. Are these clipped to the starter at all, or do they just sit above it?
Joy, they wiring bundle is attached to a little tray. The little tray is secured with a 13mm nut to one of the starter mounting bolts. Just remove the nut with a socket/extension and move out of the way.
Old December 15th, 2007, 08:06   #28
imperium
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55mpg hiway, mid to high 40s in city

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramedick
Joy, they wiring bundle is attached to a little tray. The little tray is secured with a 13mm nut to one of the starter mounting bolts. Just remove the nut with a socket/extension and move out of the way.
Thanks, boy did I feel stupid but it sure did come off nice and pretty. I have the starter in the process of being torn apart now!
'84 Rabbit GTI
'70 Type II
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 14:23   #29
Jasper J

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogleslam
is there anyway to get to the bottom bolt without getting under the car?
I did it all from the top using a variety of extentions... just be careful not to drop anything you don't want to fish out of the belly pan.
Replaced: 2003 Reflex Silver Jetta Sedan 01M
Jasper J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 18:36   #30
jamesmcnaughton

TDI(s): 2000 jetta`

thanks lot of the great info.......the started in my jetta crapped out just before christmas...and were were planning a drive from alberta to ontario.....i ended up changing the started in the dark on the street with a flash light....i would have never been able to do it with out you detailed pics and walkthrough.........tanks again you might just have saved my christmas...lol....
jamesmcnaughton is offline   Reply With Quote