www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old Yesterday, 13:05   #241
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwxyzero View Post
Besides the people that caved in and sold their TDIs back, some didn't; a friend of mine dug his heels in, refused to sell his 2014 Audi A3 TDI back, it took forever, but Audi/VW eventually fixed it, and it seems to run better than before Deiselgate.
No one was forced to sell their car back. VWoA was required to fix any car brought in for the fix that had a fix available. I don't know why your friend had to dig his heels in as they were required to do the fix by court order for anyone that came in with one.
Old Today, 02:36   #242
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightflyer1 View Post
No one was forced to sell their car back. VWoA was required to fix any car brought in for the fix that had a fix available. I don't know why your friend had to dig his heels in as they were required to do the fix by court order for anyone that came in with one.
True. I didn't say anything about anyone being forced into selling their TDI back, but the incentive to so loomed large, and I remember how long he waited, how much of a PITA he thought the ordeal was in total; my only real point was in reference to the post I quoted, and that some of the people who held out might be selling now.
Did you get your New Beatle fixed too?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:48   #243
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I wouldn't use the term "caved" for those who took the buyback.
Fair enough, maybe a bad choice of words; call the grammar police! Unlike your Jetta his TDI was spotless with low mileage, so for him it was worth the headaches to keep it.

vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51   #244
BeetleGo
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 39/46, usually 41

My brother sold his 6-speed manual Passat TDI SE back to VW and picked up a cherry 6 month old Passat TSI SEL for $2500 less than VW gave him for the TDI. They don’t get the same fuel mileage and it’s somewhat louder than their TDI was, but the deal was too good to pass up. The big thing is that he is planning on buying a Tesla next. Sorry VW, you’ve lost his business. Like me he feels that Volkswagen shot themselves in the face (not just the foot) drumming up passable numbers, calling it clean, and then getting caught, which bite you back BIGTIME with people who up until late 2015 were selling TDI’s for you!

The repaired ones are only partly fixed. There are plenty of scenarios where they’re still dirty as hell.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-riva...ent-interview/
'05 5sp Golf GLS TDI - Rocket Chipped to 1.5, NB hoop style headrests, Mud Flaps, Euro style sideview mirrors (They're blind spotless!), and Koni FSD's (Talk about smoothing the bumps AND tightening the curves!!!)
Don't know how to use the search function? Click Here!
BeetleGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34   #245
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
True. I didn't say anything about anyone being forced into selling their TDI back, but the incentive to so loomed large, and I remember how long he waited, how much of a PITA he thought the ordeal was in total; my only real point was in reference to the post I quoted, and that some of the people who held out might be selling now.
Did you get your New Beatle fixed too?

Ordeal? Windfall is probably a better description. Many owners came away from the buyback having driven a new TDI for 2 or 3 years at zero net cost to them. The buyback was incredibly generous.
Old Today, 06:45   #246
atc98002
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
Ordeal? Windfall is probably a better description. Many owners came away from the buyback having driven a new TDI for 2 or 3 years at zero net cost to them. The buyback was incredibly generous.
Exactly my situation. Just too good to pass up.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:30   #247
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I wouldn't use the term "caved" for those who took the buyback. I sold my Jetta back, and was glad to be rid of it due to numerous little issues that would have cost big dollars to fix, including bodywork. My Passat, however, was a struggle, because there was nothing wrong with it. In the end it was all about the dollars. The buyback offer was just too good to pass up.
We sold the Golf back for the same reason, the money was too good to pass up. When we talk about how the engine characteristics of the JSW have changed, we're really happy we didn't subject our Golf to that.
Old Today, 07:32   #248
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Besides the people that caved in and sold their TDIs back, some didn't; a friend of mine dug his heels in, refused to sell his 2014 Audi A3 TDI back, it took forever, but Audi/VW eventually fixed it, and it seems to run better than before Deiselgate. I'm convinced he's not the only person that refused the buyback, and he still has his, but I assume some people that stuck their ground are selling their TDIs, on the used market now. So there's probably that going on too.

Your friend didn't dig his heels in. He took the fix and the adjustment ($$) just like most of the rest of us did that are still driving the 09-15 diesels.
Old Today, 08:17   #249
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Yup. They're just cars. They make new ones every day. No mystery to me why most owners took the buyback.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:34   #250
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
Yup. They're just cars. They make new ones every day. No mystery to me why most owners took the buyback.
Well, yes they make new ones every day... but WE can no longer buy them. So....

You couldn't get me to sell any of my cars for MSRP+. Not a single one of them can be replaced with a new version of the same.
Old Today, 09:24   #251
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
You couldn't get me to sell any of my cars for MSRP+. Not a single one of them can be replaced with a new version of the same.
Same here. It's my way to rationalize hoarding.
Old Today, 09:48   #252
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Well, yes they make new ones every day... but WE can no longer buy them. So....

Trust me, I've had irrational attachments (not saying yours are irrational) to my share of vehicles. Like the '84 Volvo 245 diesel decomposing in my yard. Or my first car, an '85 Volvo 244 turbo, which I finally parted with last year. But these newer cars just don't have as much soul (how's that for irrational), imo.
Old Today, 10:01   #253
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Happiness is often a difficult thing to pin down to any rationality. I know people who have no hobbies, no interest in much of anything, no interest in life. Really sad. I don't think everyone need be a "car person", but it is to me a noble hobby and isn't likely to be going anywhere any time soon.

I am currently fixing up a pair of 2.sl0 Jettas... how's THAT for irrational?

(this is what I do to stay busy between TDI fixer-uppers)
Old Today, 15:17   #254
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

There's something to be said for simplicity of design. I've re-adapted rather well to the gasser powerband of my 2.5 Golf.
Old Today, 18:16   #255
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Today I drove my GSW to work, and just went out to a meeting in my B4. So I drove the last 4 cylinder TDI VW sold here, followed by the first. Truth be told, I like the B4 better, even though it has 20x the miles on it than my GSW. A diesel the sounds and drives like a diesel is nice.