Replaced 2013 Passat TDI with 2016 1.8T - What items should I scavenge from 2013?

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
2013 NMS passat TDI SE. Paid 27k out the door September of 2013. Came with Spokane wheels and spoiler. Put 30k miles on it. Selling back to VW for $26400.

Bought a used 2016 Passat SE with technology today with 13k miles. Got a steal ...I think. $19,500 out the door.

I tried not to support VW for this but I couldn't find any sedan in the price range I wanted to pay that was as comfortable to me.

I did buy it used from a Honda dealership. Is that still supporting VW :)

What all should I take from 2013 Passat before turn in? I will not be going crazy and stealing doors or anything

Will spoiler from 2013 fit on 2016? Spoiler hard to take off and repaint? Better off just buying a new one?

How hard is the front cupholder to get out? A little scratch on my new one that isn't on the old one?

What about the leather sheathing around the emergency break? Hard to remove?

Floor and trunk mat? Rubber cup holder inserts? Everything in trunk except spare tire?

I am swapping the 18" Spokane wheels from 2013 to 2016.

Anything from under the hood? Grommets or any type of rubber gaskets that tend to wear out?

I figure I can just stash the extra item in a closet in case I need it?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
2013 NMS passat TDI SE. Paid 27k out the door September of 2013. Came with Spokane wheels and spoiler. Put 30k miles on it. Selling back to VW for $26400.

Bought a used 2016 Passat SE with technology today with 13k miles. Got a steal ...I think. $19,500 out the door.

I tried not to support VW for this but I couldn't find any sedan in the price range I wanted to pay that was as comfortable to me.

What all should I take from 2013 Passat before turn in? I will not be going crazy and stealing doors or anything

Will spoiler from 2013 fit on 2016? Spoiler hard to take off and repaint? Better off just buying a new one?

How hard is the front cupholder to get out? A little scratch on my new one that isn't on the old one?

Floor and trunk mat? Rubber cup holder inserts? Everything in trunk except spare tire?

Anything from under the hood? Grommets or any type of rubber gaskets that tend to wear out?

The leather e brake boot isn't that hard to take off as well as cup holder. But make sure you're using trim removal tools as you don't want to break anything.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I know the decklid spoiler is attached with adhesive. Don't know how much force it takes to pull it off plus there's the question of if it will break in the process. Assuming you get it off in once piece then have to clean off the old adhesive prior to painting it.

You do know while the 2016 looks similar to the 2013 they are not the same? Many things that appear identical may not be but you won't know until you try it. I'm talking about interior stuff here like floor mat shape, cupholders, etc. Wheels should interchange long as bolt pattern is same (should be). Long as you are playing stripper why not take the hood, doors, trunk, seats, etc. since it sounds like you want to take everything of value off? Supposedly none of that stuff affects a buyback vehicle's value long as it can drive onto a dealer's lot under it's own power at turn in.

So let us know how much you find that transfers from the 2013 to a 2016 and how the buyback process goes when you turn in a running shell of a 2013. ;)

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Trick to removing spoiler (or any decals / trim for that matter) is use dental floss to cut thru the adhesive. Then clean the surface with paint thinner or other solvent.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
The leather e brake boot isn't that hard to take off as well as cup holder. But make sure you're using trim removal tools as you don't want to break anything.

I don't have trim removal tools? Easy to find? Are there instructions on removing brake boot or cupholders? I assume I need to remove the entire center console?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I know the decklid spoiler is attached with adhesive. Don't know how much force it takes to pull it off plus there's the question of if it will break in the process. Assuming you get it off in once piece then have to clean off the old adhesive prior to painting it.
You do know while the 2016 looks similar to the 2013 they are not the same? Many things that appear identical may not be but you won't know until you try it. I'm talking about interior stuff here like floor mat shape, cupholders, etc. Wheels should interchange long as bolt pattern is same (should be). Long as you are playing stripper why not take the hood, doors, trunk, seats, etc. since it sounds like you want to take everything of value off? Supposedly none of that stuff affects a buyback vehicle's value long as it can drive onto a dealer's lot under it's own power at turn in.
So let us know how much you find that transfers from the 2013 to a 2016 and how the buyback process goes when you turn in a running shell of a 2013. ;)

I am not stripping anything big at all or making the car look incomplete. The buyback did not compensate me for spoiler, upgraded spokane wheels, rubber mats, and trunk organizer. I will for sure take those. The other little things that wear out overtime I may take but it will not make the car not function correctly.

I am actually giving VW some really nice continental tires and the 17" wheels from 2016. I have to purchase brand new tires for 18" wheels. Tires are shot.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg

jaypal

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Spoiler is compatible. I removed mine from my 2013 TDI buyback and had it painted. It is now on my 2017 with no fitment issues.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Be advised from what I read on other threads from owners doing the buyback that the reps are actually checking to see if the owner's manual, all key fobs, correct head unit, etc. are still present with the vehicle or not at buyback inspection time. Apparently it may factor into the final value paid out. Only passing along what I've heard - could be a case of an overzealous rep which is simply luck of the draw...

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Be advised from what I read on other threads from owners doing the buyback that the reps are actually checking to see if the owner's manual, all key fobs, correct head unit, etc. are still present with the vehicle or not at buyback inspection time. Apparently it may factor into the final value paid out. Only passing along what I've heard - could be a case of an overzealous rep which is simply luck of the draw...
I was under the impression that they were only doing that so the dealers don't steal stuff off the cars!

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I will not be taking anything major. Pretty much the extra stuff that I wasn't compensated for plus maybe the stuff in trunk except for spare tire. I was thinking about putting a full size spare in my new one so I could take everything but the actual spare tire out of turn in and have some extra foam to play with in case I screw up shaving down 1st one to make an 18" rim fit.

dcb

TDI
2013 Passat DSG
I'm still debating switching wheels and tires on my 2013 Passat SE TDI that I'm selling back and those on my new 2016 Passat SE/tech. The 2013 has 18in Bristol Alloys with Copper CS5 Grand Touring tires with10,000 mles on them. The new 2016 has 17in stock alloys with Continentals. They will have about 2000 miles on them at time of turning in the 2013. I like the looks of the Bristols and and the Cooper tires so far have performed well (quiet and good in snow). The conti tires are somewhat of an unknown to me but have heard both good and bad about the stock continentals VW likes to use. Right now I just don't know if it is worth the hassle and costs of doing the switch. I have ruled out putting some steelies and bald tire on the 2013 before turning it in.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
I'm still debating switching wheels and tires on my 2013 Passat SE TDI that I'm selling back and those on my new 2016 Passat SE/tech. The 2013 has 18in Bristol Alloys with Copper CS5 Grand Touring tires with10,000 mles on them. The new 2016 has 17in stock alloys with Continentals. They will have about 2000 miles on them at time of turning in the 2013. I like the looks of the Bristols and and the Cooper tires so far have performed well (quiet and good in snow). The conti tires are somewhat of an unknown to me but have heard both good and bad about the stock continentals VW likes to use. Right now I just don't know if it is worth the hassle and costs of doing the switch. I have ruled out putting some steelies and bald tire on the 2013 before turning it in.

My 2016 SE has those same 17" wheels and continentals. Tread is barely used on tires. The tires on my 18" VW spokane's are shot.

I am absolutely swapping wheels and buying new tires and giving VW the 2016 SE wheels and good tires. I just can't stand the looks of the 17" alloys.

IMO, I would absolutely buy new tires and keep Bristols. Passat looks so much better with the Bristols. I realize the ride will not be quite as soft but the wider tires will make it handle better. Plus I am use to 18" ride currently on 2013. Probably cost you less than $100 at discount tire just to swap wheels from one car to another.

One other side benefit Bristols will be way easier to keep clean vs the 2016 17" alloys.

I am getting 245/45/18 Pirelli Cinturato's (17" are 215/55) for my car on Monday morning. I will take a before and after pic of both cars.

Another side note, I love Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring, and back up camera. I have never used those features until now.

dcb

TDI
2013 Passat DSG
My 2016 SE has those same 17" wheels and continentals. Tread is barely used on tires. The tires on my 18" VW spokane's are shot.
I am absolutely swapping wheels and buying new tires and giving VW the 2016 SE wheels and good tires. I just can't stand the looks of the 17" alloys.
IMO, I would absolutely buy new tires and keep Bristols. Passat looks so much better with the Bristols. I realize the ride will not be quite as soft but the wider tires will make it handle better. Plus I am use to 18" ride currently on 2013. Probably cost you less than $100 at discount tire just to swap wheels from one car to another.
One other side benefit Bristols will be way easier to keep clean vs the 2016 17" alloys.
I am getting 245/45/18 Pirelli Cinturato's (17" are 215/55) for my car on Monday morning. I will take a before and after pic of both cars.
Another side note, I love Adaptive Cruise control, Blind spot monitoring, and back up camera. I have never used those features until now.
Thanks for the input.
I agree, the ACC and other driver assist features are slick. I am still not sure about the Front Assist and Autonomous braking, but just have to trust it works.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
Thanks for the input.
I agree, the ACC and other driver assist features are slick. I am still not sure about the Front Assist and Autonomous braking, but just have to trust it works.
No problem. I got one warning for getting to close to someone but it did not brake by itself.

I still need input on removing this spoiler from someone? It is really on thier! Dental floss just breaks when I try to pull it under.

Is it really going to cost me a lot less to pull this one off and have it repainted versus just buying another one?

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It may not be worth trying to remove the spoiler in that case. If you damage or scratch the trunk it could be an issue upon return.
You would have to get in with an exacto knife or razor blade and cut thru the adhesive.

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
It may not be worth trying to remove the spoiler in that case. If you damage or scratch the trunk it could be an issue upon return.
You would have to get in with an exacto knife or razor blade and cut thru the adhesive.
I understand but I don't think they will say anything if I can remove it with minimal damage. Truth is the spoiler is not something VW is compensating me for that was an extra on the car when purchased. Hopefully a hair dryer will heat up the glue enough.
Here are the pictures of the 2016 going from the 17" alloys to the 18" spokanes from the 2013. Even though the 18"s are horribly dirty right now. Pretty big difference IMO.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport

Nothing!

Have the quality of character to just turn the car in and stop trying to steal from VW.

This is about YOUR behavior. Just because VW did something does NOT justify you sinking to a lower level.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
I am not stripping anything big at all or making the car look incomplete. The buyback did not compensate me for spoiler, upgraded spokane wheels, rubber mats, and trunk organizer. I will for sure take those. The other little things that wear out overtime I may take but it will not make the car not function correctly.
I am actually giving VW some really nice continental tires and the 17" wheels from 2016. I have to purchase brand new tires for 18" wheels. Tires are shot.
BS! They bought the car back at market value AND gave you a SETTLEMENT on top of that amount.

You got $26,500 back on a car you paid $27,000 for and you used it for 4 years on top of it!

Why do you think you did not get compensated? Pure nonsense.

I am noticing a pattern with people talking about stripping vehicles, they seem to be in certain states....

mc4nam

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Dsg
BS! They bought the car back at market value AND gave you a SETTLEMENT on top of that amount.
You got $26,500 back on a car you paid $27,000 for and you used it for 4 years on top of it!
Why do you think you did not get compensated? Pure nonsense.
I am noticing a pattern with people talking about stripping vehicles, they seem to be in certain states....
Well Happy Holidays to you Sir Judgement of Morality. Nothing like being judged by some dude named Tom on the interwebs.

Oh, and I am sure that all the most up standing citizens are from the locations you have listed.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well Happy Holidays to you Sir Judgement of Morality. Nothing like being judged by some dude named Tom on the interwebs.
Oh, and I am sure that all the most up standing citizens are from the locations you have listed.
Seems like the people that were stripping the cars have now been told by both the judge and VW that they will not accept a car like that. While you weren't mentioning any serious removals, you are still removing items from the car. If you want to swap things between your new and old cars, then you are still returning a complete car. I recommend not removing anything that isn't being replaced with a similar piece.

I'm not being judgmental. I just think the (court ordered) buybacks are reasonable. Yes, VW isn't doing it out of the goodness of their heart, and I'm not terribly pleased with what they did. But I also believe the EPA/CARB standards are biased against diesels and the limits are unreasonable. If VW returns to the US with another diesel in the Atlas or new Tiguan, I'll be right there.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The words "scavenge" and "strip" have provoked some of us (especially me!) to react very negatively. These words imply drastic measures.

I think all of us have thought of what can be removed/swapped without ethically compromising the process: floor mats, wheels/tires. Beyond that, IMHO, there's not much, really. I wouldn't risk trashing the trunk lid if the rear spoiler is hard to remove, but that's just me.

Wishing you all well as I enjoy my new-to-me rides! I will continue to lurk and stick my nose where it doesn't belong!

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Worth the visit...

Trick to removing spoiler (or any decals / trim for that matter) is use dental floss to cut thru the adhesive. Then clean the surface with paint thinner or other solvent.

Makes perfect sense and I've never heard this before--thanks for sharing.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I understand but I don't think they will say anything if I can remove it with minimal damage. Truth is the spoiler is not something VW is compensating me for that was an extra on the car when purchased. Hopefully a hair dryer will heat up the glue enough.
Here are the pictures of the 2016 going from the 17" alloys to the 18" spokanes from the 2013. Even though the 18"s are horribly dirty right now. Pretty big difference IMO.

Much better with the 18's. And even they don't look too big on a B7. I'm running 19" Tiguan wheels on mine for summer.
As for the spoiler heating up should help, hair dryer may not be hot enough. Heat gun would be better but use with caution as you may cook the paint.