www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 15th, 2019, 20:43   #4141
kidflyr

Original clutch and dual mass flywheel removed today, new rear main seal installed. Clutch and single-mass flywheel going in next wrenching session.
kidflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 22:27   #4142
moparvwfrak

Fuel Economy: 40.6 I know it sucks

broke it. had a small stutter heading to work then about 2 min later it stuttered again and lost all power. it stalled and wouldnt restart. had to drug home and right before my driveway i tried starting it and it started but CEL and a flashing glow plug light greeted me, so now i get to fix twhatever this is now. thank god for VAG-Com.
2 93 BMW 325i
1 81 320i
moparvwfrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 05:46   #4143
five7driver

Open-Heart surgery! Car was barely running so I cracked open the injection pump, gave it a thorough de-placqueing, sewed her back up and held my breath....started great on the first try and only needed a minor hammer-mod adjustment to get the IQ to exactly 5! Now running like a new car, better than ever! Only PITA was soldering back the 7 leads for the IQ adjuster. Just takes patience. (Our patients?)��
five7driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:47   #4144
Votblindub
Veteran Member

Thumbs down

BAH!
Was checking out my wagon on Friday last week. We added some more oil. It fired after a little bit of cranking. The clear fuel line was empty, for some reason. There's no fuel leaking afaik. Good thing I've got the lift pump in there. Ran for a bit and stalled again. Seems like fuel cut. Fired it up again and it ran fine and started to drip oil. We originally thought it was a feed line or a drain line for the turbo, but it turns out it's leaking oil out of the passenger side back corner somewhere between the head and block. It produced a puddle that's about a quart. Definitely had a bigger leak when the rpms went up. Then, when I was about to shut it off(after we noticed the oil under it) it stalled again.

Sprint 520 Nozzles, 2.5 inch catless mufflerless BuzzKen exhaust, Malone stage 3 chip, 01M, Frostheater Full details
Full details
FB page for wagon lovers I have VAGCOM/VCDS
Votblindub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 16:49   #4145
zaeli
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52+ (with new cam)

She’s a sleeper, *camper

[IMG][/IMG]

6’x 24” bedspace, rolling with my canary mastiff

Last edited by zaeli; September 16th, 2019 at 17:49.
zaeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 17:47   #4146
hitman1985

So I believe I have an addiction issue. Bought my 3rd mk4 today.... the black gli today. The blue 1.8t last week. The red tdi may 2018.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hitman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 18:03   #4147
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Three mostly-excellent cars for less than the price of one Nissan Versa.
'03 Golf with 787k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1
Become a TDI Club Contributor. http://forums.tdiclub.com/payments.php
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 19:54   #4148
hitman1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
Three mostly-excellent cars for less than the price of one Nissan Versa.
Well it's actually 6 for less than the price of a new car but I didnt want to sound THAT badly addicted by simply counting mk4 s I currently have lol

In addition there's a 2012 passat tdi sel premium; a 2007 rabbit and a nugget yellow corrado g60 withOUT sunroof

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
hitman1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 21:30   #4149
kidflyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeli View Post
She’s a sleeper, *camper
I like it!
kidflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2019, 23:12   #4150
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Helped a friend find his oil leak. Gee wonder where it is
Old September 19th, 2019, 04:59   #4151
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

At least he didn't soil his hood insulation.
Old September 20th, 2019, 12:37   #4152
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

Finished up replacing the steering column on my 4-dr. Had to do it because when I put back the original one during the replacement of my hvac box, a piece of metal fell out that was broken into 2 pieces, nearly exactly in half through the hole. I couldn't really tell where it went, and it was broken, so the likelihood of being able to repair the steering column was really close to zero. Basically the tilt/telescoping lock locked no longer. Hard to drive with that problem.

So I was able to get one from a 2005 GTI and finished that replacement yesterday. I like the new to me leather steering wheel because mine is degrading like most of them from 20 years ago.

Since the column was from the other maker than the original, I wondered what kind of problems there would be. (VW cautions you to get the same maker's column when replacing.) But it all works just the same. The replacement had a different location for the ground wire, but mine still bolted into the same hole that is in the key cylinder.

The only hiccup is that neither key tumbler would come out of the ignition casting. So I had to drill out the security retaining bolts from both so I could install the original ignition casting into the replacement. I decided that it was not a worrisome place - if a thief has access to that part of the steering column, a couple of security bolts aren't going to do anything to slow down a person who probably would just as soon use a BFH to solve the issues rather than carefully disassembling a couple of bolts. So I just went to a local hardware store and bought a couple of M8x1.25x20mm bolts to do the trick.

Yay! Almost ready to drive. I still have a couple of things to do up front while it is not being driven anyway, but the hard parts are done and I'm almost ready to go.

PS: took it for a short drive to get some blue locktite. I found I am 1 tooth off on the steering column, so I have to r&r the steering wheel so I won't go crazy with it being off just a bit. I was going to have to do it anyway because I didn't locktite the 2 screws that hold the ignition switch in place. So now there's 2 reasons to pull it apart. Oh, well. It shouldn't be that hard.

PPS: Hitman, you have an eye for nice Jettas with nice wheels. And thank you for the kind comment, Bob!

Cheers, PH

Last edited by Powder Hound; September 20th, 2019 at 19:21.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 14:03   #4153
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

The giant freaking picture make it near impossible to read a nice post from Powder Hound
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 11:57   #4154
wonneber
Veteran Member

2x ^^^
wonneber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2019, 14:19   #4155
LMJ
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 VW Golf

Listed it for sale on CL.

Upgrades: Rocket Chip Stage II, Full Metal Jacket Skid Plate, Bosal Euro Hitch, aluminum capped shifter and new boot, 2-cup rear center console, replaced seats.
LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote