Will a 99 Jetta TDI Manual Injection pump fit in a 2000 manual?

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My 2000 Jetta TDI 1.9 manual sat in my driveway for 6 months, started it a couple times along the way but couldn't get it to start two days ago. Had it towed to mechanic who said fuel is leaking from the injection pump. Cheapest i can find a used one is $450 plus $255 for labor. A friend I'm giving this car to has a 99 Jetta TDI 1.9, would his injecton pump work in mine? Or can we "rebuild" my pump? His is the the pre-99 body style, mine is the 2000 body style.

Thanks for any input

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
The pump will fit, and it will work if you play with the plugs. The wires are the same, just they're separated into 2 plugs in the older version.

The good news is 2 fold: 1) a used pump should be more like 300-350 for a good one. Check the classifieds here.

2) the best news: it is most likely you can just get a seal kit and re-seal your own pump. You will need a special secret socket and watch some videos because unless you see how to mark the quantity adjuster, you might have a very difficult time getting it running again after reassembly. But, as I said, it is very doable, even on the car when you're careful, and that will save you bunches.

See the dieselgeek site for a special kit with helper bolts and links to how-to videos.

Cheers!

PH

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
His is the the pre-99 body style, mine is the 2000 body style.
I don't think it will fit or work. He's asking if an A3 (AHU) pump will work on an A4 (ALH), sounds like. Plug and harness is different, I'm pretty sure. And the mounting and sprocket are different as well.

I know that to make an ALH pump work on an AHU you have to change the pump harness and modify the bracket. Seems the reverse would be true as well. Also, although both are 10mm pumps, the earlier pump operates at less pressure than the ALH pump. So you'll see a difference in performance.