The things you learn about a 7-yr-old car...

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
My '02 NB 5sp, I have just learned, activates its backup lights only when the clutch is engaged - apparently by the clutch switch.

All other cars I have had, the lights are activated by the tranny going into reverse gear.

I _guess_ that makes sense.....

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
TDIfor said:
My '02 NB 5sp, I have just learned, activates its backup lights only when the clutch is engaged - apparently by the clutch switch.

All other cars I have had, the lights are activated by the tranny going into reverse gear.

I _guess_ that makes sense.....
__. I have never had an NB but this seems wrong to me. Do *all* NB's do this????

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Yeah...something is up with that. The reverse sensor is located on the shift tower on the transmission so the lights should come on when you shift into reverse and should be on regardless if the clutch is engaged or not.

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
Maybe something to do with the connexion at the backup switch, on the shift tower next to the transmission. When my clutch was changed, the guy saw that the backup switch wiring was torn apart. Fortunately, he was able to repair it with the wiring from another broken tranny he had in his garage. Maybe, it's a similar situation on your case.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
A guru replaced my backup switch a few years ago, because it had been corroded due to a leaking battery. But this behavior was very precise and quite specific... and the only reason I noticed it was because I was backing into a darkened area of a parking garage and I could see behind me.

In reverse, with clutch pedal fully depressed, no backup lights. As soon as the clutch became slightly engaged, the lights came on. I experimented with this several times in amazement (I am easily amused), so its was not a one-off experience. The lights were clearly being triggered by the clutch switch.

(First car I have had with a clutch switch, and this seems like a switch too many, given VWs trackrecord, but that is another thread.)

When I am out of the car, the engine off and the lights on, the backup lights are on, but then the clutch pedal is fully released (clutch fully engaged) at that point.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
TDIfor said:
When I am out of the car, the engine off and the lights on, the backup lights are on, but then the clutch pedal is fully released (clutch fully engaged) at that point.
So..the clutch pedal switch, when depressed, is shutting OFF the back-up lights. Strange..but it is a VW.

XXX_er

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
for awhile whenever I put the brakes on ,the backup lights on my 02 golf would go on ,I never did anything and it seems the problem has gone away I have since got a recall letter from VW canada to replace the brake switch , the dealer replaced the switch when they did the TB .

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
jettawreck said:
So..the clutch pedal switch, when depressed, is shutting OFF the back-up lights. Strange..but it is a VW.
That is correct...

I figure this isn't a bug, its an undocumented feature.

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
TDIfor said:
In reverse, with clutch pedal fully depressed, no backup lights. As soon as the clutch became slightly engaged, the lights came on. I experimented with this several times in amazement (I am easily amused), so its was not a one-off experience. The lights were clearly being triggered by the clutch switch.
I'm just taking a wild-a$$ guess here, but I suspect that you may be getting an intermittent on/off connection due to rotational engine torque when you let out or press in the clutch. You may want to take a closer look at the wires/sensor on the top of the tranny.

need4speed

Veteran Member
I can say my 03 Jetta's backup lights are WEAK. If I'm backing up in the dark, I need someone standing behind my car directing me, because I cant' see squat by those lights.

visionlogic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
need4speed said:
I can say my 03 Jetta's backup lights are WEAK. If I'm backing up in the dark, I need someone standing behind my car directing me, because I cant' see squat by those lights.
Yep. Those on my '02 are worthless. I'm thinking about rigging up some small but bright auxiliary lights, mounted to my hitch's crosspiece, via a relay.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Nico3d3 said:
Maybe something to do with the connexion at the backup switch, on the shift tower next to the transmission. When my clutch was changed, the guy saw that the backup switch wiring was torn apart. Fortunately, he was able to repair it with the wiring from another broken tranny he had in his garage. Maybe, it's a similar situation on your case.
Maybe your mechanic noted the torn wiring because he forgot to unplug the backup switch harness from the tranny before removing it from the engine... :cool:

Not saying he did it, just saying it's a possibility.