Great: now my sunroof wont close...!!...

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I opened it then went to close it and it just opens itself again even when the knob is in the closed position..
anyone else ever have this problem? thanks.

LoveMyVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDi
Yeah mine gave me some grief this fall and it wouldnt close properly. I just popped the cover off inside by the lights right by the switch and manually colsed it for the time being. However the next time I used the sunroof to try and figure out what was wrong it acted normal.... so I dont know what its problem was that day....

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I have had a few instances where the sunroof failed to close, but would close and then open up again, but I could get it to close, but popped up in the rear. I equate to somehow, the sunroof controller (which I read uses some sort of "fuzzy logic") forgets its orientation.

Each time if I would turn off the car and leave it for a couple of hours with the sunroof popped up in the rear, it would begin working correctly again.

--Nate

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
As alluded to in the second message, you can manually crank the sunroof closed. The procedure is in your owners manual and involves popping the cover off near the switch and inserting the enclosed crank. Careful popping the cover off - it's easy to break a tab od rip the fabric covering

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
Check the front edge for debris. Unbeknownst to me I had a twig blow in the hatch between the roof and the head liner. I couldn't figure out why the glass would slide forward and immediately pop back. Visual inspection confirmed said twig. Removed it and all was well. It may be a safety feature to keep fingers from being crushed or the glass shattering from crushing up against an immovable object. It's probably a micro switch connected to that thin strip of metal that detects the position of the glass before it gets the final push upward.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
have you tried closeing the roof by using the key in the door lock front door and hold key till roof and windows close unless manual windows duh...worked for me it almost resets every thing ...

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
dr.diesle said:
have you tried closeing the roof by using the key in the door lock front door and hold key till roof and windows close unless manual windows duh...worked for me it almost resets every thing ...
Be very careful to check for obstructions before doing this. When the sunroof is closed this way the pinch protection is not enabled.

Not sure what would happen, maybe striped gears?

However once you have checked that it's cleared this does work very well :D

That's a great side-effect of the alientech module, it does this "reset" anytime you close the sunroof with the remote.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yes, every once in a while my sunroof decides to think for itself...

We almost never use it at all (I hate sunroofs or wind...), but occasionally the rear of the moonroof will pop open a bit... the only way to get it closed in case of rain is to manually roll it closed... of course, in a little while it reverses its mind, and I have to manually close it again (in the other direction)...

I attribute all this to the superior German electrical technology we've all grown to love...

Yuri.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Put the sunroof in the closed position, turn off key, then manually crank it closed.

Key on, put the knob one click towards the slide motion for 20 seconds, then back to closed.

Key off, then key on.

open the roof (sliding)
close the roof
open the roof (tilting)
close the roof

key off key on.

the sunroof will be adapted (works well on MK5's as well)

if that doesn't work... you've got a freaky sunroof motor, or Robert Goulet has been messing with it...

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Something got into the track of ours and wouldn't close .... kept moving towards being closed and then would open again.

After seeing a "helicopter" from an Oak tree in the way and being removed ... had to move the switch to the closed position and then push in on the closed symbol (it will rock like a rocker switch in this position) and it will close without the pinch protection. We didn't need to manually crank it closed and this also reset the pinch protection so the roof would open/close normal.

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
Interesting, I haven't noticed the rocker switch-like function in the closed position.

Was this on your 2002 or 2006?

ashift30

TDI
2006 Jetta
Mine was a blown fuse. I checked it before I took it to the dealer for waranty check. They replaced the fuse then told me they didn't replace the fuse and nothing was wrong with it. I already checked the fuse and know it was blown. I'm not going back to that dealership. Lack of trust, even after I cornered them.

Since replacing the fuse, have had no problems.

bmccrea

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Golf TDI Wolfsburg, '10 Touareg TDI
Mine did that the other day. It would either stay open at the closed position, or vented. It would never completely close.

I flipped the key on, got the sunroof to go completely closed then keyed off and pulled quickly while it was closed. Put the dial back to the "closed" position. Keyed on again and it opened, closed and vented like normal.

Seems like it got confused.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Ben1000 said:
Interesting, I haven't noticed the rocker switch-like function in the closed position.

Was this on your 2002 or 2006?
Both do it.

robgosty

TDI
golf tdi
Having same problems, motor was duff so fitted new motor, roof is now closed in the comfort position slides open in the tilt position and tilts in the slide position :mad: tried resetting as as quoted in earlier post,no joy, and does not close itself when holding key in closed position (windows shut fine) operate rocker switch and it opens. anyone got any ideas, i thought that maybe there are two different motors fitted ? and i got the wrong one HELP PLEASE

dieselUFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
digdug said:
I opened it then went to close it and it just opens itself again even when the knob is in the closed position..
anyone else ever have this problem? thanks.
digdug,

Re-adjust your sunroof drive motor for "0" position.

-Remove the 4 bolts and lower your sunroof drive motor -electrical harness stays connected.
-Ignition on, (engine not running)
-Rotate adjuster dial to MAX. OPEN.
-Rotate to CLOSED position.
-Rotate dial to MAX. TILT.
-Rotate to fully CLOSED TILT.

-When you're done, you can verify "0" position if you look at small window in motor. Two notches should align at "0" position.

bjmarler

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, White
Well, I just had this happen to me, but I caused it, and I know what I did. So just in case you had the same problem as me....

While the sunroof was opening, I reached up and slid the lower liner toward the rear of the car. The lower liner, which normally sticks out just a bit when the sunroof is opened, this time slid all the way into the headliner. It completely disappeared!

Well, I immediately tried to close the sunroof, but just as it got to the closed position, it would reopen and then try to close, etc... So it was stuck in a loop. I finally reached up and tugged on the lower liner as it was trying to close for the 3rd time, and I held it toward the front, and it fixed itself and closed.

Yes, I felt really stupid and wondered why I even did that. ??? :)

brucep

Veteran Member
TDI
peebs4u2
Dont forget there is a "tool" for manually cranking the sunroof stored just beneith the sunroof switch. The owners-manual tells you all about it.

Just pop the cover off and the tool is stored inside the cover. Insert the tool in the slot and crank the sunroof to your hearts-content.

When I first bought my Jetta, I used the tool to crank the sunroof open/closed just so I knew how to use it.

dmoonen

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta 1.9L TDI, 00 Jetta Alh and several others.
Bringing this back from the dead, my sunroof was on the fritz for the past two days and wouldn't close. I managed to fix it by: Open up the sunroof and blew and cleaned out any debris, greased the tracks, wiggled the knob till the sunroof was in some what closed position and did the reset by holding the key in the door lock.

Works again as it should, I was fearing it would be the same BS as the 1980's mercs

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
This is probably the same thing that can happen to power windows, somehow they unlearn the proper close position. On the window you turn key on ,don't start motor and press the up button and hold for about 6 sec,then do same on the down position and hold. This makes it relearn where should stop. Worked like a charm when dealer showed me the method. Could be the same issue with the Pano roof. I have no idea why it did this on my car.

jcc3450

TDI
2010 sportwagen
Using a fork to close the roof

I keep a stiff dinner fork in my glove box. When the roof gets fussy, take the fork and turn it upside down and with the tines holding down the middle of the bug screen, close the roof. once it's closed pull the fork back. You may need to use both hands to pull down with the fork because the spring holding the screen up is pretty stout. This works every time. Try it.

watchingcrow

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Re: 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon with sunroof that will not close.
Sadly and madly (like makes me crazy) none of the revelatory and helpful tips solve my problem. Though, using the "Rocker-Like" method with the switch in "closed" position I was able to get the passenger side sunroof to close completely the driver side remains open about an inch. I arrived at the "Rocker" method last after trying the physical "key" (not the fob) in the door handle, which just made the same grinding attempt at closing but would not close. And the manual Allen Wrench winding which sounded bad as it attempted to close but would not.
So, I am stuck. The sunroof will not close all the way or open at all, so now that i am convinced the trouble is a track obstruction I cannot inspect the track and i also cannot (seemingly) easily remove the window itself. Any thoughts?

Wolfman89

TDI
VW 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Re: 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon with sunroof that will not close.
Sadly and madly (like makes me crazy) none of the revelatory and helpful tips solve my problem. Though, using the "Rocker-Like" method with the switch in "closed" position I was able to get the passenger side sunroof to close completely the driver side remains open about an inch. I arrived at the "Rocker" method last after trying the physical "key" (not the fob) in the door handle, which just made the same grinding attempt at closing but would not close. And the manual Allen Wrench winding which sounded bad as it attempted to close but would not.
So, I am stuck. The sunroof will not close all the way or open at all, so now that i am convinced the trouble is a track obstruction I cannot inspect the track and i also cannot (seemingly) easily remove the window itself. Any thoughts?
In order to inspect the tracks you need to remove the glass. The sunroof must be in the vent position to remove glass. Take off the bellows covers. There are 3x T25 Bolts per left & right side. Once you remove all 6x T25 Bolts, glass can be lifted out & safely stored while examining the rails. Here’s a YouTube video that shows how to remove the glass.