Oil and filters, do you keep stock on hand?

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I don’t know why but I’ve always had a fetish for oil, I actually just finished off some older valvoline and pennzoil that I bought for cheap and stacked it deep. Now with the TDI I’ve already got oil and filters for 2 future changes and extra air and fuel filters, the sick thing is I’m web surfing for more, if I can find it cheap I’ll pick a few up.

Do you keep stock on hand or do you buy as needed?

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I keep 1 round of oil/filters on hand. No one around where I live stocks appropriate items, so if I get unexpected time for maintenance I like having material on hand for the job.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I'm taking the candle.

I bought 50k miles worth of various interval service kits from idparts on the last sale.

Oil, dsg, and filters.

It was expensive, and the boxes are stacked half to the ceiling.... At 42k miles, so I'm set probably for the next 3 years or so.

I scored a good side job, so I took care of that expense for a while.

My garage i have many many 2.5 gallon of Rotella 15w40 for the equipment. Everytime I hit. Meijer I grab a jug.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I bet I have 8 oil filters, 3-4 fuel filters, 3-4 air filters, 2-3 cabin air filters on hand currently for MKIV cars. Only reason is I have bought the filters cheap from people who sold their cars. All filters are Mann, Hengst or Napa Gold.

As for oil, I have 3 gallons of Schaeffer's 9000 Supreme on the shelf too. Also have about 10 liters of Idimitsu Type J trans fluid on hand.

Last edited:

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Yes, i stock up when i find them on sale. I bought the passat oil filters on ebay and the bug’s oil filters at Rocky Mountain auto parts along with pollen and air filters for both.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I'm taking the candle.

I bought 50k miles worth of various interval service kits from idparts on the last sale.

Oil, dsg, and filters.

It was expensive, and the boxes are stacked half to the ceiling.... At 42k miles, so I'm set probably for the next 3 years or so.

I scored a good side job, so I took care of that expense for a while.

My garage i have many many 2.5 gallon of Rotella 15w40 for the equipment. Everytime I hit. Meijer I grab a jug.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
My grandfather did this with windshield wiper fluid. When clearing his house, we'd find a jug of windshield wiper fluid in the most random spots. It took a decade for my father and I to use it all.

Now that I think about it, he was a chemistry teacher. I feel like I've seen this AMC TV show before.

HPsenicka

Veteran Member
TDI
2 x 2004 Jetta Sport BEW (Malone Stage 1.5), 2014 GSW TDI - Wolfsburg Edition, 2015 Passat TDI -Sport Trim
When I place online orders for repair parts I usually add enough oil/air/fuel/cabin filters to the order to qualify for free shipping.

With 4 TDI's in the family (a pair of Mk4 BEWs) it is handy to have at least one spare set of filters on hand.

For the MK4's I also buy at least a couple of jugs of Rotella T6 locally when on sale.

Spare drain plugs/washers and oil filter o-rings can come in handy too!

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I used to buy oil filters 10 at a time for better pricing but 20 filters got me past 400k miles and now I don't think I will have the car for another 200k so I just get one to keep on the shelf until the next change. Actually, I have 2 now I can't help it when it's a good buy. Same with oil always one ready for the next change.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yes ... but, I do have a few circle of friends that use me for their maintenance. But, I do have far more than the demand will be, including my vehicles, for at least another 600k miles or more!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought up other peoples spares for cheap back when dieselgate hit. Oil and DSG kits for the most part as filters didn't fit the 2015 Beetle usually. I have 6 DSG kits I got for $20 each and enough oil to last for quite some time. I almost bought a 40 gallon drum of oil when runonbeer closed his shop, but decided I didn't want to store a drum for that long. Otherwise I would just keep the next service on hand. I still have oil and other things from previous tdi's I have been selling or giving away lately to clean up some of the garage.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I typically have a couple filters and at least a couple gallons of oil on hand.
Usually one air filter and cabin filter as well, but that varies.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I stock up during sales. I have maybe seven gallons of M1 TDT but the Dodge is due soon and that'll use up three gallons.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I used to stock up but then I ended up with several from different brands, older models, and even older fridge model filters to the point my garage is cluttered with filters I can't use. I also read that oil has a shelf life so I don't keep more on hand than necessary for the next year's oil change.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
With the TDIs, I always kept a spare fuel filter and the tools to change it, in the trunk, but that was it.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I keep enough oil on hand to perform 1 oil change and one complete set of filters.

On the other hand, an old photo of a fellow member's hoarding days! At that time he also had a 5 gallon drum of Amsoil Cetane Boost. It's almost hidden behind some of the oil.

His old stash of Diesel Purge.

:p:):D;)

Last edited: