Passat B5.5 gear oil change

Asl6

TDI
02 passat tdi estate AVB PD100
Hi folks,

Apologies if this has been answered before.

I have Passat b5.5 with EEN 5 speed manual. I'm wanting to do a gear oil change, I've been rummaging about under the car today to weigh the job up and the fill plug is obscured by the drive shaft flange if that's what it's called. I can't get the allen socket in, square on, i.e. the socket has to be tilted to something like 45 degrees. I can't understand why they would make access so poor.
There must be a special socket for this? I have the splined socket for the drain plug.

Thanks in advance.

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
My only contribution is to suggest a traditional 90 degree allen wrench where you grind down the short end to a length that will get the wrench between the drive shaft flange(?) and the fill plug.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Ball end Allen socket. A 17mm. It will be a bit pricy as it's a specialty tool
You can modify yours if you wish with a grinder!

Asl6

TDI
Hi folks, thanks for replies. I'd like to see the special tool they use, I've searched for one and can't come up with anything. I've thought about the traditional allen key jobby and shortening it. If only they would make access easier, then again it wouldn't be as much fun would it?!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
again, a ball allen is probably the tool used here. i think 30*, never measured its working angle but fairly sure it will work.
I never did this service to your make of car, all the images and DIY i found on this show that both ports are easily reachable, one image showed that the drive line was fairly close but not in the way.

im curious to see whats spacial about your car vs the pictures i found and videos for this job.

Asl6

TDI
Yes a ball allen would probably fit. I'll try and take a pic next time I'm under the car. I've just seen a suggestion on another site of using 2 x 17mm nuts on a screwed rod with another 2 x nuts on the other end, then using a spanner on the nuts, someone reckoned this worked for them. Interesting.