New to me 2003 ALH wagon 5 speed

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Hello everyone. I just wanted to say hello. I just picked up this 2003 wagon yesterday with 207,xxx miles or 333,xxx kms 5 speed TDI

needs some work. Driver side mirror, rear head rests, arm rest is missing completely. needs a new drivers side fender a little rocker work but nothing major. also I can smell exhaust pretty heavy in the cab so I assume some exhaust work and I have a sticking rear caliper.

Has an ABS light on now I scanned it and both rear abs sensors showed up. no check engine light tho.

new timing belt and water pump 20,000 KM's ago tho

can you not insert an image from your desktop?

Last edited:

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Congrats and welcome to the club !
If you have any questions your at the right place for answers.
Search is your friend here.
Your exhaust smell is probably you flex pipe is cracked , if you have access to a welder you can just replace the flex pipe portion.
The online vendors on this site are top notch and very reasonable n there pricing.
Be wary of great deals on eBay particular with TB kits......you don’t want to cheap out on those . There are very unscrupulous people on eBay that sell Chinese junk, yes you can save a penny now.......but your gonna spend thousands later when it fails.

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Congrats and welcome to the club !
If you have any questions your at the right place for answers.
Search is your friend here.
Your exhaust smell is probably you flex pipe is cracked , if you have access to a welder you can just replace the flex pipe portion.
The online vendors on this site are top notch and very reasonable n there pricing.
Be wary of great deals on eBay particular with TB kits......you don’t want to cheap out on those . There are very unscrupulous people on eBay that sell Chinese junk, yes you can save a penny now.......but your gonna spend thousands later when it fails.
I weary of anything from ebay.

I have heard the flex pipe is a common problem with these

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
I weary of anything from ebay.

I have heard the flex pipe is a common problem with these
Yes it is, especially if you live in salt belt... I've replaced my exhaust three years ago with an aftermarket one and it's already rusted. Good luck with your new ride.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Yes it is, especially if you live in salt belt... I've replaced my exhaust three years ago with an aftermarket one and it's already rusted. Good luck with your new ride.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
I do live in the the rust belt unfortunately. I'll be rust checking it before the winter.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Do I have to upload a picture before it can be posted?
Yes, it's best to follow the photos link at the top and login to the image server. From there you can select the thumb print size with click to see full image.

The other option is to use Tapatalk and upload directly from there.

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Yes, it's best to follow the photos link at the top and login to the image server. From there you can select the thumb print size with click to see full image.

The other option is to use Tapatalk and upload directly from there.

I give up I don't have tapatalk. and I'm not sure where to go after you go into the tab for photos

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Go-to Photos

Then login

Then upload photos

Select photo and choose link at the bottom of the photo copy the link and post in forum thread.

The process is long winded and Tapatalk is the easiest, however, you can't guarantee it'll stay available that way.

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Well order some parts today
Pads and rotors for front a rear, rear abs sensor new backing plates oem brake line for one side 2 new rear calipers
Rear coils springs and shocks
a New fender and rocker for drivers side
and 4 new tie rod ends

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
More on pics-
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
More on pics-
Short version:
Select Upload button, follow prompts (check your file type)
At the end, harvest the url to use as a link for your post
Note there are 3 sizes with separate urls. For large data use the thumbnail, it shows the full size when clicked.
More complete instructions in my signature.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/uploads//564698/Jetta_wagon1.JPG

this works. Thank you

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Well after some work the car is on the road
rocker panel
fender
ball joint
rear calipers both sides
front pads and rotors
rear pads and rotors
rear coils
rear shocks with new upper bushing and lower metal ring
2 rear abs sonsors
new floor plugs (where missing)
left rear oem brake line with flex hose
inner and outter tie rods left and right side with new boots
wheel alignment

Blue1.9TDI

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Well the battery light came on. So i ended up getting the alternator rebuilt and also replaced the tensioner pulley and belt