AHU TDI Metallic Clacking Sound - Video

brokensf

TDI
1982 AHU TDI Vanagon
~160,000 miles. DLC1019 injectors, timing belt, tensioner, replaced maybe 30k miles ago. No A/C or Power Steering. Transaxle was out a few months ago.

Runs well, just finished a few 2000+ mile road trips without any major issues. Has two codes that are always there (P1441 and P0380) but no new codes. I noticed this sound a few days ago and thought it was just something rattling like the exhaust, but after crawling under it with the engine running today, that doesn't seem to be the case.

It sounds like it's coming from the turbo, or near the crankshaft pulley. I also seem to notice it from the top of the engine, near the injectors.

I'm going to have it towed to a shop tomorrow. Thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any ideas and then will follow up after the issue is diagnosed (hopefully soon).

Sound in the video below. It seems to get louder when the microphone is near the turbo, but it's hard to tell. Sorry about the vertical video...

https://vimeo.com/358691580

Thanks in advance for any help!

Edit - Accidentally posted this in the general forum, now it's cross posted in the A3/B4 forum.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta tdi
I wonder if the alternator clutch is junk and hasn't set the battery light yet. Or perhaps the hydraulic tensioner is going out