New 2013 Jetta Trendline

My Wifes TDI

TDI
2013 Highline, 2013 Trendline
Hi guys, long time lurker, first time posting.
I found that I like my wifes 2013 Jetta so much that I decided to get one myself. Fortunately I got myself a barn find!!!! So lucky.... except that it's not a Highline. I found a 2013 Jetta TDI Trendline that has spent it's entire life stored in an underground parking lot. It has only 11,000 km on it. There are still stickers on the rims and it smells new inside. Crazy!!

Anyways, I don't have time right now to do a search and sort through a bunch of threads. The one thing that may rain on my parade is the fix for the diesel gate scandal. I looked online and mine has not had the fix. Am I going to have to do it no matter what,, or can I avoid doing it altogether? Will VW do it for free or is it going to cost me a fortune? Thx a bunch. :)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I thought if the original owner took a cash back deal instead of selling it back future owners can not get it fixed free.

My Wifes TDI

TDI
The original owner never took and cash deal nor traded the vehicle in. He literally left it in the underground garage and did nothing with it.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I don't think you have to worry about it then.
Worst case have VW do it and get a extended warranty on the emissions parts & labor.
Might take a slight hit on fuel mileage.

My Wifes TDI

TDI
I booked an appointment with the dealership to have the emissions fix completed and have been assured that it will be done for free. Sweet. :)

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
He wont get the cash restitution right? too late for that? If not,or even with a cash back and warranty..I would seriously think twice about getting it "fixed"..I would take hammers advise!..leave it alone! ESPECIALLY if no cash back.. Enjoy the way it should be.. without the fix..

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Maybe if you explain the down side of doing it?
From what I heard the fuel MPG is down.
This is exactly the point where YOU have to find the time to do your own research into how the fixed vehicles behave and what to expect from the fix. Just briefly - Dieselgate settlement offered owners of impacted vehicles three options: 1. sell it back; 2. have it fixed and collect an incentive; 3. do nothing at all and keep driving the vehicle "as is". Since the deadline for 1. and 2. has long passed, you are not entitled to any compensation whatsoever. The key point here is this: there is/was a very, very good reason why VW offered incentives to owners who decided to have their cars fixed and keep driving them. The reason was known to all involved - the vehicles were not expected to perform the same way they did before the fix. Essentially, by agreeing to the fix in exchange for $5k, an owner agreed to have his vehicle FUBAR. Decreased power and torque, increased fuel consumption, emissions components dying like flies are just the tip of the iceberg. Since you are not eligible for the incentive any more, what motivation could you possibly have to do this?

My Wifes TDI

TDI
Jeez, all great points. Glad I read this before taking it to the dealership. I think I will call them in the morning and tell them I will do the other factory recalls but not the exhaust recall. I think one was to reinforce the rear axle, and can't remember the other one.........

Of interest, my wifes TDI has had the exhaust fix completed and she has 100K on hers. Her car gets 4.2L/100km with either of us driving. Mine only has 15,000km on it, doesn't have the exhaust fix, and can't do better than 5.5L/100km. I assume this is simply due to mine not being broken in yet.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Maybe if you explain the down side of doing it?
From what I heard the fuel MPG is down.

Ping-ponging back and forth to the dealer with the MIL on every few weeks would be enough for me. Small hit in performance and fuel economy is another, although if it were just that it wouldn't be so bad.

The warranty seems great, BUT, if you have to rely on it constantly, then... Sorry, I need my cars to be reliable. And if they are, a warranty is meaningless because it isn't even needed.

My Wifes TDI

TDI
I called the dealership today and told them I wasn't bringing it in for the exhaust recall. They subtly tried to bait me with the promise of a great warranty but I didn't bite. What a rebel! Thanks for the words of wisdom. This site is great.

Last edited: