96 passat ecu

bioTDI

TDI
1996 Emerald Green Passat
I'm trying to chip my ecu and i can't get the wiring harness disconnected to pull the box out from the firewall. also does the vacuum line just pull off the ecy housing? thanks

bioTDI

TDI
Never mind, got it from help on a cross-post I left! Let me say that if anyone is hesitating (like I was) for any reason to chip your TDI, DO IT NOW, you will LOVE IT! I got a great deal on a chip for my 96 Passat on eBay from GermanPartsWholesale ($57.95 delivered). I was skeptical at first and I don't have any dyno data but it is much faster off the line with very little pedal.

Viesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GL TDI
Just curious, what ECU do you have because I tried to chip my 96 Passat and was told that I have one of the first ECUs that has the infrared chip and that he couldnt get the upgraded chip for it. I have tried actually 2 sources and had no luck

bioTDI

TDI
The ECU ends in BK, the chip is 28 pins (socketed) and it says

1 037 355 331
'0281001390'

on top. What does yours look like?

kneebull

TDI
Passat, 1996, Red
I have seen these on Ebay and was wondering if anybody had one. Has the chip changed your fuel consumption?
Thanks.
Mike

tonyp

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Sedan
Yes do tell about the eBay chips! I am a little skeptical that someone could develop and test these things, then sell them for $60 and make any money. How big can the market for BK chips possibly be? Perhaps it is a copied Upsolute? I just want to know if it's safe to put in there...

valois

Banned
Talk to gofaster, he had a single Neuspeed chip in his 96 passat. This ECU requires 2 chips, the only thing that is happening with one chip is that fueling is being increased, the other chip is controlling turbo boost, it was a really tough nut to crack, as far as I know Upsolute is the only tuner that offers both chips for the 96 passat, allot of thanks to go faster as he tried at least 10 variations until we had it going.

bioTDI

TDI
I was skeptical too and haven't driven enough to compare MPG but I did talk to someone who used the same chip and she said her MPG went up 4-6! I will have to let you know. I suspect it is a very small market as they only fit 96 Passat TDIs. They claim it affects turbo as well but it sounds like it only affect fuel according to valois. I figured for $60 it was worth a try. I'll keep you posted.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The '96 Passat "BK" ECU is definitely chippable by Upsolute, and replacement involves changing two chips. It won't affect fuel consumption.

With this particular ECU, you should plug the supplementary injector so that you don't have to do the official VW replacement of ECU and injectors. (It's easy.) See the TDIFAQ.